What's new

Brass bead front sights?

I tried contacts briefly, but my eyes need more protection from various noxious elements. As a young man I did a lot of cycling. I also worked in a lab at the Dept. of Agriculture where there was a concern of disposable contacts absorbing various chemicals over time. As a nurse, there is always the danger of getting something disgusting splattered in your eyes. So I have generally found glasses to be preferable to contacts. They make me look smarter than I actually am, kinda like smoking a pipe. But I refuse to get tri-focals and I don't tip my head back to use the reader portion of my bifocals to see my sights. I will probably remain a mediocre 25 and 50 yd. pistol shooter, at least from an accurate target/ small group perspective. Which is a shame, because at one time I could chew the center out of a B-27 target with my S&W 686.

Same here, back when i was in the USAF i tried some no correction contacts that the optometrist had. Our pharmacy had a couple of banks of dispensing cells which generated a lot of fine dust from literally tumbling and grinding away on tablets. My eyes could not take it. We had another pharmacist who did wear contacts and he was always taking them out and cleaning. I passed on the idea of contacts. Now when i get outside and sweat so much that the sweat literally runs into my eyes i just cannot comprehend the idea of contacts.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Finally bought and installed the 10-8 Precision sights with the brass bead on the face of an otherwise standard front post sight on my Glock 19. Hopefully I can get to the range this coming week end to try them out. Just handling the gun indoors, it is obvious that the ambient light has to strike the front sight at the right angle for the brass bead to be of any benefit. But at least now I have a traditional sight profile, much improved over the Big Dot/ Express sight combo I had on my 19 before. Of course my eyes still won't focus well with any sight, so only time will tell how much of an improvement these new sights will be.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
EB30F7D6-7A8F-4115-A1E4-38AB68FADB84.jpeg

I got the wider U notch rear as was recommender for older eyes. As expected, when I stood in the shade with little or no side lighting, the brass bead when facing a bright background becomes nearly invisible, but with some side or rear lighting, it's very apparent.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Alternatively, you could get a pre-cut slide and add it to a pistol you already own.

I know a guy who had it milled into his Glock Gen4 for around $250. I can get a Gen5 MOS on blue label for $477 that comes with a few other upgrades as well.

No locking pin
De-horned slide nose
enhanced trigger spring assembly
enhanced magazine floorplate
orange magazine follower
Redesigned firing pin & firing pin safety
Scallop cut in front of frame grip
modified trigger bar
new extractor
reinforced front side rails

TECHNOLOGY OF THE FUTURE
nDLC finish for barrel and slide
GLOCK‘s nDLC provides tougher, more durable protection than previously used finish. The nDLC finish is exclusive to the GLOCK manufacturing process. The nDLC finish increases protection against corrosion and scratching and improves the ability of the pistol to function in degreased or adverse conditions. The nDLC finish will be exclusive to Gen5 pistols at this time.

Ambidextrous Slide Stop Lever
The ambidextrous slide stop lever makes it easier for gun owners to quickly, safely and comfortably manipulate the slide whether they are left-handed or right-handed.

SPEED
Flared mag-well
The larger opening of the flared mag-well makes it easier to funnel the magazine into the mag-well, particularly in high-stress situations where fractions of seconds matter.

ACCURACY
GLOCK Marksman Barrel
The GLOCK Marksman Barrel (GMB) features new barrel rifling which delivers improved accuracy.

VERSATILITY
Removal of the finger grooves on the grip
Removing the finger grooves improves the ergonomics of the grip. The absence of finger grooves improves the ability of the pistol to deliver a consistently comfortable grip to a wider range of consumers, regardless of their finger size and whether or not gloves are worn.

GLOCK Gen5 Magazine
The new GLOCK Gen5 magazine comes with an orange follower and a floor plate which is extended at the front for faster magazine change.

The GLOCK Gen5 models also feature some of the proven Gen4 advantages, such as:

Modular backstrap and beavertail system
Every GLOCK Gen4 and Gen5 model comes with backstraps in two sizes each one with or without beaver tail. The multiple backstrap frame allows the users to change the circumference of the grip to fit their individual hand size.

Enlarged reversible magazine catch
The magazine catch of the Gen4 and Gen5 frames is reversible and enlarged towards the rear of the pistol. The reversible magazine catch is more user friendly to the shooter‘s reach and allows them to switch the catch to the left or right side of the pistol.

RTF Rough textured frame surface
The Gen4 and Gen5 have a rough textured frame (Gen4 RTF) surface designed to enhance grip traction, without being too aggressive. It is present on the frame as well as on the interchangeable backstraps.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm holding out for the Gen 5 MOS, particularly for the GMB as well as the other improvements.
I hope to get one in about a years time, I have another gun to buy first, a Ruger SP 101 4.2 in. barrel .327 Federal Mag. with adjustable sights. But the fiber optic front sight will have to go, maybe another brass dot front sight?

I know a guy who had it milled into his Glock Gen4 for around $250. I can get a Gen5 MOS on blue label for $477 that comes with a few other upgrades as well.

Mine is just half of a Lone Wolf I got on sale. Not technically a Glock, but I only paid $450 for it.

I see your point though.

OkieStubble

I'm holding out for the Gen 5 MOS, particularly for the GMB as well as the other improvements.
I hope to get one in about a years time, I have another gun to buy first, a Ruger SP 101 4.2 in. barrel .327 Federal Mag. with adjustable sights. But the fiber optic front sight will have to go, maybe another brass dot front sight?

GMB?

4.2 barrel on a SP101? Still only 5 shot. Why not the GP100?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
GMB?

4.2 barrel on a SP101? Still only 5 shot. Why not the GP100?

GMB as per your own post, Glock Marksman Barrel, regular rifling as I understand, accepting lead bullets. However, I could be wrong. Seems to be some conflicting reports on the GMB. Also, many of the after market parts don't work with the Gen 5. May have to rethink this. But definitely want a MOS.

SP 101 is six rounds in .327. Is .327 available in a GP 100? My idea for the SP 101 in .327 is as a "kit gun", smaller/lighter than a "service revolver" sized weapon.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

GMB as per your own post, Glock Marksman Barrel, regular rifling as I understand, accepting lead bullets. However, I could be wrong. Seems to be some conflicting reports on the GMB. Also, many of the after market parts don't work with the Gen 5. May have to rethink this. But definitely want a MOS.

SP 101 is six rounds in .327. Is .327 available in a GP 100? My idea for the SP 101 in .327 is as a "kit gun", smaller/lighter than a "service revolver" sized weapon.

Not only regular rifling, but a spin on the design of it's grooves which give it even more accuracy. and indeed it does shoot lead. I didn't realize the SP101 was a 6 shot in .327.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
GP 100 is 7 shot in .327. Seven rounds just seems wrong to me. Plus it's about $200 more.

GP 100 is 7 shot in .327. Seven rounds just seems wrong to me. Plus it's about $200 more.

7 was a fine number to Mr. Browning. :001_cool:

For those with glocks and now some others, these may look goofy, but they’re fast and intuitive, good at all ranges, and highly visible, easily picked up. A buddy had them and now I do.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
7 was a fine number to Mr. Browning. :001_cool:

For those with glocks and now some others, these may look goofy, but they’re fast and intuitive, good at all ranges, and highly visible, easily picked up. A buddy had them and now I do.
We'll see how the 10-8 sights work for me, particularly after I go to the eye doctor and get a new peepers. Those Speed Sights may be the next alternative prior to getting an RDS, who knows, thanks for the link!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm looking at the SP101 as a range toy/ field gun to play around with the various .32 calibers, not so much as a defensive sidearm. Six rounds in a revolver just feels right to me.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Man..... youse guys is killin' me!

I've lusted after an SP101 for a carry gun since I bought my GP100 during a certain presidential campaign years ago. I carry it in the winter. It makes me look like a phenomenal shot putting .38's downrange.

And since selling a gun is against my beliefs, getting my lovely War Department to not notice the drop in our savings account makes an SP101 but a dream. For now, lol.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Save your penny's, every time I go to the store, I get an extra $20 or so in cash back.

Top Bottom