What's new

Brand new Black Beauty?

So I like to check my local online ads for deals on safety razors or interesting blades. There are a lot of things to see, usually people don't know about the razors they are selling and either ask too much because they think they are selling antiques (like asking $30+ for a Slim Twist in relatively poor condition) but sometimes, when I'm lucky, I find someone thinking they are selling junk. But as they say: One man's trash is another man's treasure. That is how I bought a barely used Slim Adjustable for ~$10 and an Old Type in good condition for <$10.
This time however, what I found was somewhere in the middle, I wish to hear your thoughts.
What I found was, what it seems like a brand new Gillette Black Beauty. It cost me ~$28. It came in the original packaging with a blade dispenser (empty). I examined it carefully and could find no soap scum, scratches or anything that could indicate it was used. The dial is precise on every number. There is a possibility it was carefully cleaned but I don't think that is the case because I looked the the sellers other items and they sold random stuff. Not antiques, not shaving equipment, just random stuff from their home. It is quite possible they received this a gift and just put it away somewhere. It looks like it was for the German market. The date code is R 3, so it was made in 1971, making it 51 years old. I still can't get myself to use it since it's in such good condition I fell bad ruining it. :biggrin1:
What do you gents think? Here are some pictures I took.
1.jpg
2.jpg
back.jpg

3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

2.jpg

2.jpg

So I like to check my local online ads for deals on safety razors or interesting blades. There are a lot of things to see, usually people don't know about the razors they are selling and either ask too much because they think they are selling antiques (like asking $30+ for a Slim Twist in relatively poor condition) but sometimes, when I'm lucky, I find someone thinking they are selling junk. But as they say: One man's trash is another man's treasure. That is how I bought a barely used Slim Adjustable for ~$10 and an Old Type in good condition for <$10.
This time however, what I found was somewhere in the middle, I wish to hear your thoughts.
What I found was, what it seems like a brand new Gillette Black Beauty. It cost me ~$28. It came in the original packaging with a blade dispenser (empty). I examined it carefully and could find no soap scum, scratches or anything that could indicate it was used. The dial is precise on every number. There is a possibility it was carefully cleaned but I don't think that is the case because I looked the the sellers other items and they sold random stuff. Not antiques, not shaving equipment, just random stuff from their home. It is quite possible they received this a gift and just put it away somewhere. It looks like it was for the German market. The date code is R 3, so it was made in 1971, making it 51 years old. I still can't get myself to use it since it's in such good condition I fell bad ruining it. :biggrin1:
What do you gents think? Here are some pictures I took.
View attachment 1429544View attachment 1429545View attachment 1429552

View attachment 1429546View attachment 1429547View attachment 1429549View attachment 1429550View attachment 1429551
View attachment 1429545
View attachment 1429545
Very nice!👍💈

I can clearly see a very light cream residue around the door hinges. Someone cleaned it. It is not brand new. So no need to hesitate. Just use it.

That’s a short handled (89mm) black beauty that has seen very little use. The German blade dispenser makes it a very interesting find. That razor gives great shaves, so I will recommend that you use it and enjoy it.
That's no short handled SA. It is a 109.

Top Bottom