What's new

Bourbon tasting

Too many good recommendations on here for me to improve on; there are so many good to great bourbons on the market right now that I would have a tough time putting together even a top 10 for a tasting. I would suggest sampling several different price points and mash bills to see the many variations in bourbon, all while conforming to the requirements for "bourbon". Bargain, wheated, high rye, high proof, top shelf, etc.

I don't think I saw Wild Turkey mentioned in the previous posts. Be sure to include the Russell's Reserve 10 as well as the Rare Breed in your discussion.

Keep them all the same alc content.

Make em smell it 3x before tasting, extra if their nose burns more than once.

Do what you do for your scotch tasting.

Make sure they take their time before the next one.

Keep the bottles hidden till the end to r/o snobbery.

I'm getting into bourbons myself. I've of course had Maker's and the Maker's 46 as well as Angel's Envy. All of which I've enjoyed. Looking throught this post there's obviously several more I need to try.

I once did a blind tasting at a bourbon bar in downtown Louisville. I don't remember all the bourbons that I tasted (or much else from that night actually) but the one thing I do remember is that Woodford Reserve won. I was a little surprised because I had always had the notion that it was overrated when I had it prior to that, but when I didn't know what it was, turns out I liked it best.

Makers Mark 46 is also nice and smooth.

Excellent stuff. 86 proof (as opposed to regular MM 90 proof). It is an exception to my general rule that higher proof (from the same brand) usually results in better whiskey.

A client gave me a bottle of the 46 for Christmas today. Very good client, I'd say.

What the heck was I thinking? The MM 46 is 94 proof...higher than regular MM at 90 proof. I must have had a bit too much of it before posting...or perhaps not enough!

I might get laughed at, but I'd throw Rebel Yell in for consideration. I was surprised by it in blind tasting, having it pegged for a high-middle range bourbon. Have since poured for several guests that expressed enthusiastic praise for it until I told them what it was.

Keep them all the same alc content.

Make em smell it 3x before tasting, extra if their nose burns more than once.

Do what you do for your scotch tasting.

Make sure they take their time before the next one.

Keep the bottles hidden till the end to r/o snobbery.

I would add not to do more than 4 (maybe 5) whiskies...they all start to blend together after a while..(take it from experience)

A thought I always wanted to do as a tasting...the building blocks so-called:

1. a white dog...many shines available
2. a straight corn (mellow corn -a cheapie at $10, or Balcones for 4x more or New England Corn from Berkshire distillery)
3.a straight wheat whiskey, like Bernheim
4. a straight rye..Jeffersons for a mid priced excellent Ryes, or Templeton. or Redemption. or Wild Turkey Russel's Reserve Rye or go old school with Rittenhouse or Old Overholt, or High end with Old Protero from San Franscisco

Sorry about the delay gents! Everything went off with a bang!

We had a hell of a line up:

Four roses small batch
Hudson baby
Bakers Kentucky
Bernheim small batch
Makers mark
Wild turkey

Hudson baby was phenomenal but then again the only thing I didn't really enjoy was the wild turkey.

Thanks for all the help and I'll be looking out for all of the other suggestions I've seen here.

If you can find it grab some of the Hudson Baby. Phenomenal!

thanks for the feedback.

I've seen the Hudson Baby, but hesitated because of the price. Might be my next pour.

Sorry about the delay gents! Everything went off with a bang!

We had a hell of a line up:

Four roses small batch
Hudson baby
Bakers Kentucky
Bernheim small batch
Makers mark
Wild turkey

Hudson baby was phenomenal but then again the only thing I didn't really enjoy was the wild turkey.

Thanks for all the help and I'll be looking out for all of the other suggestions I've seen here.

If you can find it grab some of the Hudson Baby. Phenomenal!
Curious which Wild Turkey you had? Was it the 101 Bourbon?
I am currently not particularly enjoying WT "Forgiven", I find it lacking in depth and the blend doesn't quite work for me, even though I am a Rye fan, especially their Rye's; I do like WT 101 Bourbon, it is a regular in my cabinet, but I know many who do not

hudson Baby is wonderful!

Curious which Wild Turkey you had? Was it the 101 Bourbon?
I am currently not particularly enjoying WT "Forgiven", I find it lacking in depth and the blend doesn't quite work for me, even though I am a Rye fan, especially their Rye's; I do like WT 101 Bourbon, it is a regular in my cabinet, but I know many who do not

hudson Baby is wonderful!

Ya it was the 101... I found it to be a one note kind of drink and would have benefitted from some water or ice. I was drinking neat with a slightly chilled glass.

The HB was very smooth and light. Was the perfect neat drink. A friend poured a bit with Perrier and it hid all of the flavor. Was not impressed with the waste!

The price tag on the HB would keep it from being a constant on my shelf but it was worth the cost as a one off. With that said 3 of the 11 tasters asked me to buy them a bottle next time I see it.

Top Bottom