What's new

Bourbon tasting

Ridgemont 1792
Russells
Elijah Craig 12
Evan Williams 1783 (real sleeper)
Henry McKenna Barrel Select (just tasted it this past weekend, a little more fire than usual selected a barrel from the top of the rack)
Prichards Double Chocolate (don't let the name fool you, I said the same thing until I tasted it this weekend walked out with a bottle)
Wellers 12 or Special Reserve
Blantons
Eagle Rare 10

now we get into this thing if it isn't made in KY it isn't a bourbon it's a whiskey I was set straight this weekend. It's a bourbon based on the recipe card, so much corn has to be in it.

Lots of good choices so far. I'd also add Elijah Craig 18 to the list; it's a personal favorite. There are some smaller bottlings, like Willett, that may not be available outside of KY, but if you can get your hands on them they're quite good.

now we get into this thing if it isn't made in KY it isn't a bourbon it's a whiskey I was set straight this weekend. It's a bourbon based on the recipe card, so much corn has to be in it.
Almost - at least 51% corn is part of the mix. The other key component is that bourbon must be aged in unused charred oak barrels.

The Pappy 20-Year has a suggested retail of $130. But given its scarcity it actually sells for many times that. The distillery suffered a huge theft -- something like 65 cases in October. Supposed some bars sell a pour for $25 to $50 per shot. Ouch. Get those kidneys ready for extraction. I hear they go for up to $10K each if they're not too sploit from drinking to much bourbon. Personally, I've never had the privilege to sip this one. Someday.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...y-van-winkle-craze-stirs-up.html#.UrBRro1K6CQ

Seriously. I was given a bottle of the Van Winkle Lot B (90 proof) several years ago, but that was only about $50-$60 at the time. I think Pappy is well above $100 if you can find it. I saw a bottle in a local liquor store once, a few years ago.

Lots of good choices so far. I'd also add Elijah Craig 18 to the list; it's a personal favorite. There are some smaller bottlings, like Willett, that may not be available outside of KY, but if you can get your hands on them they're quite good.

Almost - at least 51% corn is part of the mix. The other key component is that bourbon must be aged in unused charred oak barrels.

Exactly. Also, it is a myth that a bourbon has to be produced in KY. Bourbon (labeled as such) is made in Virginia, Colorado, New York and other states.

The Pappy 20-Year has a suggested retail of $130. But given its scarcity it actually sells for many times that. The distillery suffered a huge theft -- something like 65 cases in October. Supposed some bars sell a pour for $25 to $50 per shot. Ouch. Get those kidneys ready for extraction. I hear they go for up to $10K each if they're not too sploit from drinking to much bourbon. Personally, I've never had the privilege to sip this one. Someday.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...y-van-winkle-craze-stirs-up.html#.UrBRro1K6CQ

I think the bottle I saw was selling for $150 or so. But that was a few years ago, before all the hoopla started.

Hell gotta love the discussion point! Now I need to hit up the liquor store n see what I can find. Ontario liquor laws can suck it! Also whiskey in the true sense has many different variants. Hence why it's so awesome. Bourbon, rye, scotch, they are all just scratching the surface of the awesomeness.

I'm not a fan of wheated bourbons, so luckily the whole Pappy thing doesn't appeal to me. And as someone said, the Evan Willims 1783 is really good. So is the single barrel. More that are just great for the price.

I believe to be bourbon there is also a minimum age as well, but I can't recall. The only thing that can only be made in KY is "Kentucky Straight Bourbon". Which makes sense.

George Dickel (and Jack Daniels) both meet the requirements to be a bourbon. However, they use Tennessee whisk(e)y to differentiate due to the Lynchburg process (charcoal filter). GD is on my try list, as I've heard it is MUCH better than JD.

I believe to be bourbon there is also a minimum age as well, but I can't recall. The only thing that can only be made in KY is "Kentucky Straight Bourbon". Which makes sense.

This is from the Jim Beam website on bourbon rules:

-----------------------
What is Bourbon?

Bourbon is kinda like whiskey's "sweet spot." Why? Well, first, because corn is a sweet grain. The more corn, the sweeter the whiskey. Also, it's tougher to make bourbon than whiskey. In fact, the government actually has standards for "Straight Bourbon Whiskey."

By law, bourbon must be:

Produced in the USA
Made of a grain mix of at least 51% corn
Distilled at less than 160 proof (80% ABV)
No additives allowed (except water to reduce proof where necessary)
Aged in new, charred white oak barrels
Aged for a minimum of two years* * To be called "Straight" bourbon

I'm not a fan of wheated bourbons, so luckily the whole Pappy thing doesn't appeal to me. And as someone said, the Evan Willims 1783 is really good. So is the single barrel. More that are just great for the price.

I really like wheated bourbon. Van Winkle, Makers, Weller, etc. Obviously given your preference, YMMV.

George Dickel (and Jack Daniels) both meet the requirements to be a bourbon. However, they use Tennessee whisk(e)y to differentiate due to the Lynchburg process (charcoal filter). GD is on my try list, as I've heard it is MUCH better than JD.

I think it is known as the "Lincoln Process". And Dickel is far better than the current Jack, IMO.

Makers Mark 46 is also nice and smooth.

Excellent stuff. 86 proof (as opposed to regular MM 90 proof). It is an exception to my general rule that higher proof (from the same brand) usually results in better whiskey.

A client gave me a bottle of the 46 for Christmas today. Very good client, I'd say.

I really like wheated bourbon. Van Winkle, Makers, Weller, etc. Obviously given your preference, YMMV

Yeah, its funny how people's tastes differ. I know people who love wheats and I just don't care for them. Good thing there are so many bourbons out there! :)

Last edited:
A contractor working on our house left a bottle of the Makers 46. Must be paying him too much.

By the same logic, I must assume I am charging my client's too little when they give me these gifts. But then again, I KNOW I charge them too little. Fortunately I have very appreciative and generous clients.

I have never been a big fan of Virginia Gentleman, Reservior is also distilled in Richmond, as I found out earlier today.

Will be adding Reservior and Bowman to the list to try in the near future.

Top Bottom