What's new

Bourbon prices rising.

I heard about the Bourbon shortage last year and how it could affect prices in 2015. I'm now starting to notice the prices rise.

It seems the average is around 2-8 dollars. Where I live Bulleit Bourbon is normally $20 and now I'm seeing it for around $25. Blantons around $50 and now about $60. Thank god I can still get a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel for around $22(even that went up a few bucks though).

Anyone else starting to notice rising prices in their area?

Yep. It's temporary though as bourbon seems a fad now. Just wait it out and the prices will come down to earth again.

Who knows what the next fad will be but I hope it comes sooner rather than later.

Chris

I have noticed a slight increase in bourbon prices. Thankfully, my tastes are not too expensive. EW Black is my go to bourbon, with EW Single Barrel when I need something more special.

Heck I've been seeing Weller going through the roof, Weller Reserve is $25 at a store near me and the antique is $35. I'm gonna guess if they ever get 12 it'll be $50+

I noticed a similar increase at my store as well. Seems WT101 was around $19.99. It was listed at $25. I don't go through my whiskey very quick, so perhaps it'll drop in time for me to be ready to try my next bottle. :)

I noticed the other day. I went to buy a bottle of EW Single Barrel that had always cost $21 at Total Wine and it was $24.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
My dear fellow members;
Although I'm not much of a bourbon drinker (whisky's to my taste), myself, I usually purchase my spirits and other supplies from the Class VI (a class of supply; personal demand items [such as health and hygiene products, soaps and toothpaste, writing material, snack food, beverages, cigarettes, batteries, alcohol, and cameras—nonmilitary sales items]), on post (Fort Polk, LA). But, when I go back to 're-supply', I'll take a look around...ask questions and 'get back with you'. :thumbsup:

For your reading pleasure, I've include three past Threads related to the bourbon 'question',, (I think 'crisis' would be too strong a word...
don't you think?
proxy.php
);

Read More: 1) http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/435956-A-Bourbon-Shortage-Say-It-Ain-t-so!?p=6925127&highlight=BOURBON#post6925127 2) http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/453439-Bourbon-Thieves-Say-It-Isn-t-So!?p=7324345&highlight=BOURBON#post7324345 3) http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/455340-Bourbon-Feels-the-Burn-of-a-Barrel-Shortage!?p=7385671&highlight=BOURBON#post7385671

proxy.php

proxy.php
"[They say that] Love makes the world go round? Not at all. [Bourbon] makes it go round twice as fast". Compton Mackenzie

Last edited:
I'd say at least among my peer group (I'm 29), that Bourbon is by far the most popular whisk(e)y. Most of my friends are much more likely to stick a Bourbon than a single malt Scotch, Irish Whiskey, Canadian etc.

The Bourbon industry has done a good job of marketing recently, and has been able to latch on to the interest in American made artisnial products that we are all interested in, but especially the younger adults (late 20s to mid 30s ) seems to value.

I'd say at least among my peer group (I'm 29), that Bourbon is by far the most popular whisk(e)y. Most of my friends are much more likely to stick a Bourbon than a single malt Scotch, Irish Whiskey, Canadian etc.

The Bourbon industry has done a good job of marketing recently, and has been able to latch on to the interest in American made artisnial products that we are all interested in, but especially the younger adults (late 20s to mid 30s ) seems to value.

For me, part of the appeal was that it was so much cheaper than scotch. I'll happily throw $40 at a bottle all day long, but a $100+ bottle only happens once in a blue moon.

For me, part of the appeal was that it was so much cheaper than scotch. I'll happily throw $40 at a bottle all day long, but a $100+ bottle only happens once in a blue moon.
Yea, thats actually what drove me to Bourbon over Scotch as well. Though you can find great single malt in the $60 a bottle range, that is definitely the low end. Hopefully Bourbon doesn't end up there. We might see a slight uptick, but you will always have your value brands like EW Black.

Maybe I'm getting older and my palate less sharp but I'm noticing a lot of the "lower" end bourbons seem to be getting better in quality too. Which is not a bad thing IMO. Things like Old Grand Dad and Old Forester are now a days pretty palatable. Sure they're not Pappy but for $20 (formerly 10-15 lol) it's pretty darn good.

Yeah, there's no question that bourbon is the value play in whiskey, at least for now. With the pretty strict production/labeling requirements, even the lower end stuff is at least decent, which is more than can be said for the grain spirit blends you find in lower shelf scotch and Irish whisky. And at the same time, for not much more than $30, there are numerous complex, very well made bourbons to be had (think, e.g. Eagle Rare, EW Single Barrel, Elijah Craig, Weller 12, etc). I do like scotch, but $30 will hardly buy you a decent blend, let alone a good single malt.

Top Bottom