What's new

Coffee prices rising in your area?

I'm a member of a few coffee groups on Facebook and that's been a pretty consistent topic.

I've definitely noticed groceries as a whole going sky high, but haven't seen coffee rise significantly. Of course, I normally buy the cheaper stuff regardless. How is it with the premium roasters or green beans?

I did look for some tobacco the other day online and refuse to pay the minimum shipping costs I've found. Also, the inexpensive cigars I used to enjoy for. 50 a stick are now $2 each and finding bundles of "seconds" for around $25 seem to have disappeared also.

So, how is it in your area?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
So, how is it in your area?

Costs on everything has gone up, both in groceries, products, and even services. Coffee prices most certainly have indeed gone up. Since the pandemic and supply shortages, were facing actually double the amount of the normal inflation rate. You know that Klatch coffee I recently got? This is what I paid for a 5 pound bag of it.

Screenshot from 2023-06-12 03-04-31.png

I realize that its specialty coffee, made to order roasting, but still. Supermarket coffee costs far less then this. Of course you can't buy it in 5 pound bags unless its Costco I suppose. But in general, even the 2 pound bags of specialty coffee costs on average 30 to 45 dollars. The cheapest I can usually find a 12oz bag of specialty coffee, is around 16 dollars per bag. So coffee certainly isn't cheap.

Supermarket coffee is cheaper, but I have found through experience, the results of supermarket coffee vary all over the board. Your taking a shot in the dark, hoping that you picked a good coffee, or that the manufacture was having a good day, and produced a good coffee bean for you. I have had both good luck, and bad luck with store bought coffee like that, that come from commercialized sources.

This is why I have been loving specialty coffee. Sure it costs more, but at least the experience is guaranteed, because its quality produced, and follows a strict standard. Plus the fact its roasted fresh, thats another big plus. But yeah, coffee is indeed expensive Eric, don't I know it!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
My Cafe Du Monde is $10.69 a can at my local Meijer.

Can you provide greater details on that coffee in the can? I know its your favorite coffee, you drink it everyday lol. But I was curious about a couple things. First, is that instant coffee or normal coffee? Secondly, how much coffee is in one of those cans? Just curious, for the cost of that being 10.69 a can.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Can you provide greater details on that coffee in the can? I know its your favorite coffee, you drink it everyday lol. But I was curious about a couple things. First, is that instant coffee or normal coffee? Secondly, how much coffee is in one of those cans? Just curious, for the cost of that being 10.69 a can.
That's for the 15 ounce can of ground.

I was looking for beans 1kg/2.2 pounds and it looks like EUR 13.00 is bottom line in supermarkets nowadays.

Most mainstream name brands are in the 20-25 Euro bracket which is the same that I pay for most of the established Italian roasters. So it seems the lower end came up whereas the top is quite stable.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Greens are up, for certain. The increases vary from region to region, but I used to have little difficulty buying 5 lbs of something for less than $6/lb unless I was looking at something pretty special. These days, i'm more likely to spend closer to $7/lb, and that's if I'm buying 10-20 lbs of that variety.

In the end, I only go through about 20 lbs of greens per year, so we're talking about spending an extra dime every day over the long run. I can absorb that, but it's there.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
For years I bought Lavazza in 1kg packs and the cheapest here in UK supermarkets now is around £15 for 100% arabica or £12 for an arabica/robusta blend. Online prices are the same but include delivery. I have always bought pure arabica, assuming it to be the better choice but lately I have found it to lack body and now prefer the cheaper blended choice. Just lately I have tried Alcafe beans at around £9/kg from Aldi, a discount supermarket, and it is perfectly fine for my needs.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yes, but the cost of almost everything is also up. $5.29 for a bag of potato chips, for example. (And is that bag now 2 oz smaller?!)

Luckily, the low-end espressos just aren't that bad - or none of the ones I've tried so far.

A recent visitor from Miami went back saying we made the best cafe Cubano in our house. Yet it was just La Llave, nothing special. In this case, it's the machine, not the beans, I think ... Breville Cafe Roma really does put out nice "espumita."

Like the grocery store in The Simpsons - it's called the "Try N' Save." :letterk1:

AA

Purchased: Publix BOGO, Pilon, $5.45. So $2 something/each, affordable for good espresso.

:c6: They were getting $7.45 for (one) Bustelo Supremo. Nope, nope, nope.

Not Safe For Work No GIF

AA
That's the only thing I hate about Publix. They have the biggest espresso selection of any store around my parts but they rarely go on sale. I don't love Pilon but that's a decent deal.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
That's the only thing I hate about Publix. They have the biggest espresso selection of any store around my parts but they rarely go on sale. I don't love Pilon but that's a decent deal.

I might have sprung for a can of the Bustelo Brazil, we really liked that.

But they only had the BB in K-cups, and once I understood that K-cup coffee worked out to $55/pound ... See above gif.

The Cafe Aguila was $2.99 reg price. It's really not bad coffee either.

AA

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My second round of Covid ruined me for any coffee, still. I honestly can't believe it. I tried a cup of some great smelling Joe the other day, free, at some function I was at.

Zip. Nada.

I don't miss my daily routine with coffee, black. But those times when a great smelling coffee grabs me by the nose but does nothing for my tongue or my heart just about throws me into a tailspin.

I tell ya, if I ever run into any Bats that look like they escaped from a Lab I am gonna stomp them good!

Top Bottom