What's new

Bots posting repeated messages

Just curious...

Recently (and also in the past year or so) there appears to have been a bot or spammer posting repeated similar messages. I couldn't find the recent posts and wondered if these got removed.

Are mods at liberty to share what happened? If not that's fine (as I said, I'm merely curious).

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Just curious...

Recently (and also in the past year or so) there appears to have been a bot or spammer posting repeated similar messages. I couldn't find the recent posts and wondered if these got removed.

Are mods at liberty to share what happened? If not that's fine (as I said, I'm merely curious).
We get a LOT of spam bots, as well as more devious tricky spam posts and we delete them (and the poster) as we find them. I'm not sure which you are referring to, as we get a bunch, but if it's spam and we are made aware of it, they're gone!
Ditto for obvious troll posting.

We get a LOT of spam bots, as well as more devious tricky spam posts and we delete them (and the poster) as we find them. I'm not sure which you are referring to, as we get a bunch, but if it's spam and we are made aware of it, they're gone!
Thanks -- the one I was curious about was a recent poster that posted very similar messages as "larryjohnson". The username was "michaelsmartino" or something like that. Seemed very much like some kind of bot.

Thanks -- the one I was curious about was a recent poster that posted very similar messages as "larryjohnson". The username was "michaelsmartino" or something like that. Seemed very much like some kind of bot.
I can never figure out if it's a bot or troll.

Do Bots reply to follow up questions and replies as those accounts did?

I'm guessing it's a real person, having fun or who shouldn't be on a CPU unsupervised.

Yes, it's very weird. Same questions being repeated. At a minimum, some kind of strange trolling. I suspect people are designing bots that try to bypass forum and blog posting software restrictions for data collection or later spamming purposes. If it's a real person...well, peoples' motivations can be inscrutable at times...

Recently, I received a slew of responses from "Calahan23". Responses to just about every thread I've written. IDK if this person is 'spamming', or just a 'fan' of mine? LOL!

b/r

ON_1

Yes, it's very weird. Same questions being repeated. At a minimum, some kind of strange trolling.
The funniest thing- bot or not- was ol' Larry posting "Sorry, I didn't mean to offend" to just about every reply I gave him. To me, that was more telling as him being a bot than anything else, but who knows?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I think you guys are referring to the individual who has registered under 5 different user names to post, over and over again, the most inane and pointless questions ever asked by a human being.

"The website says not to get soap in your eyes, if I lather up my eyeballs, do I have to worry?"

They say there's no such thing as a stupid question, but I can tell you that this one has come pretty darned close!

I think you guys are referring to the individual who has registered under 5 different user names to post, over and over again, the most inane and pointless questions ever asked by a human being.

"The website says not to get soap in your eyes, if I lather up my eyeballs, do I have to worry?"

They say there's no such thing as a stupid question, but I can tell you that this one has come pretty darned close!
But how did people years ago know not to lather their eyeballs, before the internet told them it was bad? Did Gillette put out any instructions or what did they say when you called their 1-800 number? :facep:

He had some doozies.

If you think it is bad now, then you are going to love what will happen when AI has had just another year or two of evolution.

We are rapidly heading to a situation where it will be practically impossible to distinguish humans from non-humans online.

If you are not scared witless about that, you have not understood the problem.

Top Bottom