What's new

Boston, MA

My apolgies that I didn't follow-up with you.

Yes I did and it was good stuff.:001_smile

Thanks,

David

Glad you liked it. Don't worry about it. I just wanted to make sure it made it to you in the mail because another member complained about USPS losing a package that I sent at the same time that I sent yours.

How's Boston treating you guys these days? Any new finds? I'm traveling for a bit and miss home.

Check it's website!
Took a trip here today. David and I had a nice long talk. He has the full line of eShave soaps, aftershave balms, and shave creams, Musgo Real Citrus and Regular Aftershaves, the AS Balm, the shaving cream, and the soap on a rope, Cella, Valobra Menthol, Almond, and stick, the entire T&H shave cream line in both tub and tube, the T&H aftershave balms, and something called Logona Mann shaving cream. He usually has the entire CF line in stock as well as the entire Provence Sante line. He's really interested in bringing in shave sticks, so I told him about the Tabac (he's actually never used Tabac and is very interested in trying it) and Speick shave sticks. He makes regular trips to Europe to find new products and will be going soon and restocking the store quite soon. He even carries a number of Merkur DEs including the slant, HD, Progress, and a couple others as well as a really nice looking Italian brand of DE.

On top of everything, he's a really nice guy and his prices are as good as the cheapest prices you can find on the internet (sometimes they're even lower than internet prices).

If you're ever in Boston or around the Chestnut Hill Mall, I'd suggest going here BEFORE going to Colonial Drug.

So Stoddard's is moving where? They used to have two locations in Boston but both have closed. Does this mean the Chestnuthill location is moving? I puchased my first Merkur razor from them.

Steve

I did notice that Stoddard's is closing their Chestnut Hill Mall location.

They're moving somewhere else. I'm going to give David a call tomorrow and see what information I can find out.

I did notice that Stoddard's is closing their Chestnut Hill Mall location.

They're moving somewhere else. I'm going to give David a call tomorrow and see what information I can find out.

Please do and whether they are having a closing sale! It's never hard to get my wife out to Chestnut Hill for shopping on Saturday night date night.

Hi, Any news on where and when Stoddards maybe opening?

I was disappointed last Saturday to see it closed when I went to the Chestnut Hill Mall.

Thanks
Dave

Any updates on Stoddards? I saw the one in town was borded up, sounds like the one in the Chestnut Hill mall is gone now too? That stinks, they were GREAT! Hope they're just moving to a new location in the area and not gone for good!

My apologies for getting off-topic, but since this thread is titled "Boston, MA" and there are many Bostonians, I have a question.

Is anybody familiar with Back Bay House of Pizza? When I was in Boston in 1977, they were on Mass. Ave, sort of across the street from Berklee. I used to go there quite a lot. I recently learned that they moved around the corner to Boylston and the name has changed slightly.

Does anybody know if the pizza is the same?

There used to be this lady behind the counter who kept yelling, "Next, anybody next, SLICE?". Does anyone remember this?

I've been back to Boston only 4 times since then, the last time in 2003, but I didn't know it was still open. I was staying near Copley Square, so I was pretty close. I just didn't know they had moved.

Thank you,

Was just in the Chestnut Hill mall, Stoddard's (according to the guy at the info booth) is consolidating and moving to a new location in Newton Center... Or so I was told...

My apologies for getting off-topic, but since this thread is titled "Boston, MA" and there are many Bostonians, I have a question.

Is anybody familiar with Back Bay House of Pizza? When I was in Boston in 1977, they were on Mass. Ave, sort of across the street from Berklee. I used to go there quite a lot. I recently learned that they moved around the corner to Boylston and the name has changed slightly.

Does anybody know if the pizza is the same?

There used to be this lady behind the counter who kept yelling, "Next, anybody next, SLICE?". Does anyone remember this?

I've been back to Boston only 4 times since then, the last time in 2003, but I didn't know it was still open. I was staying near Copley Square, so I was pretty close. I just didn't know they had moved.

Thank you,

I don't know if this is the place you're looking for, but when I went to college in Boston, I used to get pizza at a great place called Little Steve's House of Pizza. It was on Boylston, just around the corner from Berklee. It was good, cheap, gigantic pizza by the slice!! I practically lived on that stuff. It was a buck fifty a slice. This probably isn't the place you're looking for, but its worth checking out.

I don't know if this is the place you're looking for, but when I went to college in Boston, I used to get pizza at a great place called Little Steve's House of Pizza. It was on Boylston, just around the corner from Berklee. It was good, cheap, gigantic pizza by the slice!! I practically lived on that stuff. It was a buck fifty a slice. This probably isn't the place you're looking for, but its worth checking out.

Actually, from what I found on the Internets, this is the place. I'm just wondering if the pizza is the same as it was at Back Bay House of Pizza when it was on Mass. I spent a summer at Berklee (three lifetime's ago) and ate there quite regularly, as did most of the students. That would have been about 31 years ago. Funny they let me into Berklee when I was 8.

The C&E upstairs at the Chestnut Hill Mall was also closed. I don't know if they were just remodeling or not. There's still the Sephora, Bloomy's, and L'Occitane boutique at the CHM.

The Saks mens counter also now stocks Diptyque.
Louis Boston has the Penhaligon's Blenheim and Quercus full lines in their apothecary. They have a selection of Santa Maria Novella products, mostly body, soaps, and home/interior, stuff; the colognes are more geared to women (Iris, Tuberose, vanilla, some others), and they only have the shaving foam.

Last edited:
I was just in Cambridge overnight for a business meeting and excited that it would afford me the opportunity to visit Colonial Drug. I am relatively new to DE shaving but have read extensively (2 books and some articles), often visited this website, have developed some "favorites", and wanted to visit a retail location where I could see, touch, smell and perhaps purchase items that I had only read about. I was particularly interested in Castle and Forbes Lime shaving cream, some Feather Blades and maybe another brand or two that I hadn't yet tried, and open to other possibilities (travel brush, Taylor's Rose Shaving Cream, etc.).

I drove by the store looking for a parking place and felt a bit of almost childish excitement. 30 -40 minutes later when I still hadn't located a parking place, I pulled in to a paid lot ($8.00/first hour) that wasn't too far away, still feeling the excitement of a new adventure and "DE shaving heaven".

Unfortunately my experience was less than ideal. May be I was anticipating too much. May be I was there at a bad time or the wrong day. Maybe the economic downturn has had an impact, but I looked and looked at the offerings and tried to engage in conversation with the lone employee but wound up walking out with the Taylor's (nice!) but nothing more. They were out of the Castle Forbes Lime, had only Merkur blades, had a only a few pricey travel brushes, and in general had a smaller than anticipated selection. They had many empty boxes that presumably held an array of DE blades in the past, but apparently only carry three brands now (two out of stock). They did have a number of T&H products, had Tabac, and some other brands so it surely wasn't all bad but... So if you go, use the T to Harvard Square or be prepared for a potential ordeal with parking, and have realistic expectations.

I too was 'underwhelmed' with my visit to Colonial Drug. Maybe my expectations were too hight based on comments from friends. The 'lone' employee was rather short with me and their selection was very limited. Everything I asked about was either out of stock or something they don't carry. Fortunately I found metered parking so it only cost me $.5 for parking for what ended up being a very short visit.

Stoddards moved to 360 Watertown Street in Newton. They are open right now for knife sharpenings only. They should be open fully in a couple of weeks or so they say.

Top Bottom