What's new

Boston, MA

Colonial Drug
49 Brattle St
Cambridge, MA
(617)864-2222

No website. A very nice and continually evolving assortment of shaving soaps, creams, aftershaves and balms which I could not begin to catalogue! Extensive collection of EdT and Colognes. Speak with Cathy, she will gladly indulge/expand all of your various ADs.

CO Bigelow
100 Huntington Ave
Boston, MA 02116
(617) 236-7257

A selection of Trumper products.

Leavitt and Peirce
1316 Massachusetts Ave
Cambridge, MA 02138
(617) 547-0576

A throw back to an early time, a tobacco store for the Belle Époque gentleman. It carries a nice selection of traditional wet shaving supplies. Trumper, Proraso, Pinaud, Institute Karite, Guerlaine, Caswell and Massey to name but a few.

wow, great coincidence that i happened to glance at your post this morning before hopping on a plane to Boston and wrote down the addresses. i only had a chance to get to CO Bigelow, but it was worth the trip. my first trumper's purchase and i'm very excited!! i'm finding myself wishing my beard would grow faster :w00t:

anyhow, thanks for the info--very useful!!

Just paid a visit to the Theater Pharmacy in downtown Lexington, MA.

Nice old drug store atmosphere, with a very nice selection of creams and lotions.

They carry a very good stock of Roger & Gallet & Provence Sante soaps, as well as shave goods by Casswell-Massey, a good batch of Royall Colognes, and various brushes, soap tins, etc

Also not to be missed at Copley Place is Nieman-Marcus.

Great fragrances (a table full of Creed bottles, caps off, ready to spritz), tons of samples available, and a wide selection.

*Note: deal with the ladies upstairs, in the women's fragrances; they've got men's colognes there too. The men's cologne section downstairs has some good stuff too, but the help is a better candidate for the Golden Arches than upscale grooming products.

The kind ladies swarmed and offered me their fragrance choices. Yours truly had to sniff, breathe in coffee beans, sniff some more, then beg to be given samples to see how the products actually worked on my skin. Eau d'Hadrian, Bois du Portugal, and some Original Vetyver followed me home. :biggrin:

This is awesome... I didn't know that there were so many people here from around this area. Now I know where to spend my wages.

There's also a C&E store in Copley Place. And I hear that Nordstrom's (Natick Collection) has a strong selection, too. As noted, Colonial Drug is an incredible place -- nice brush, razor and accessory selection, too, for such a small place.

There's also a Kiehl's store on Newbury Street.

At some point we ought to start a thread on barbershops that offer trad shaves. I just read about some high-end place called Barbershop Lounge on, where else, Newbury St. Also, I walked past a place on Hancock St in Quincy a couple of weeks ago called Goodfellas that was billing itself as a traditional barbershop with shaves.

Cheers,
C

I'm going to be in Boston next month, I think I might run by Colonial Drug since it's recommended.

Just found out about these guys... http://www.stoddards.com/

They're based in Chestnut Hill in the Chestnut Hill Mall. They boast that they're the oldest cutlery shop in the entire US. I just got off the phone with the owner, David, and I'm going in tomorrow to meet him and have him introduce me to his shop. He said he carries eShave, Provence Sante, Musgo Real, T&H, Taylors, Valobra, and Cella. He also sells straights and gets in vintage straights on a rare occasion. He also says he does honing in house. I'll check out the place and have a nice long chat with him tomorrow. I'll check back in after I visit.

The address is:

Stoddard's Cutlery
199 Boylston St.
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
617-244-4187

...A selection of Trumper products.

Leavitt and Peirce
1316 Massachusetts Ave
Cambridge, MA 02138
(617) 547-0576

A throw back to an early time, a tobacco store for the Belle Époque gentleman. It carries a nice selection of traditional wet shaving supplies. Trumper, Proraso, Pinaud, Institute Karite, Guerlaine, Caswell and Massey to name but a few.

Ask for Paul Macdonald the owner and manager. He is usually at the store after 12 noon. Very knowledgeable about cigars, pipes and wet shaving.

Also as an inside joke, tell him your a friend of "Peanut" the cat.:lol1:
The guy has a soft spot for animals.

David

Just found out about these guys... http://www.stoddards.com/

They're based in Chestnut Hill in the Chestnut Hill Mall. They boast that they're the oldest cutlery shop in the entire US. I just got off the phone with the owner, David, and I'm going in tomorrow to meet him and have him introduce me to his shop. He said he carries eShave, Provence Sante, Musgo Real, T&H, Taylors, Valobra, and Cella. He also sells straights and gets in vintage straights on a rare occasion. He also says he does honing in house. I'll check out the place and have a nice long chat with him tomorrow. I'll check back in after I visit.

The address is:

Stoddard's Cutlery
199 Boylston St.
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
617-244-4187

Took a trip here today. David and I had a nice long talk. He has the full line of eShave soaps, aftershave balms, and shave creams, Musgo Real Citrus and Regular Aftershaves, the AS Balm, the shaving cream, and the soap on a rope, Cella, Valobra Menthol, Almond, and stick, the entire T&H shave cream line in both tub and tube, the T&H aftershave balms, and something called Logona Mann shaving cream. He usually has the entire CF line in stock as well as the entire Provence Sante line. He's really interested in bringing in shave sticks, so I told him about the Tabac (he's actually never used Tabac and is very interested in trying it) and Speick shave sticks. He makes regular trips to Europe to find new products and will be going soon and restocking the store quite soon. He even carries a number of Merkur DEs including the slant, HD, Progress, and a couple others as well as a really nice looking Italian brand of DE.

On top of everything, he's a really nice guy and his prices are as good as the cheapest prices you can find on the internet (sometimes they're even lower than internet prices).

If you're ever in Boston or around the Chestnut Hill Mall, I'd suggest going here BEFORE going to Colonial Drug.

Beside Stoddard's, there's a Sephora, a L'Occitane boutique, and a Crabtree & Evelyn in the Chestnut Hill Mall.
Also, the Brooks Brothers carries all the Royalls, and the Bloomingdale's Men Dept has a full-line AOS counter.

Top Bottom