What's new

Boots and a Billfold

Two things:

First - I wear [looses or relaxed fit] jeans and a polo to work everyday. For the past 4 years I've worn some type of hiking boot. Previously was the Lowa Renegade followed by Rocky Outback. Both pairs are wore out and I've been looking at the Wolverine 1000 mile boot. Anyone have any other recommendations for boots or shoes to wear with loose or relaxed fits jeans and a polo? There are days where I'll throw in my Ariat's, but they're not an everyday wearer, especially in Southern CA.

Second - I've carried a Coach (go ahead an laugh) card case, basically a card holder with a money clip, for years now; however, I want to go back to an actual wallet. What wallet have you had that has withstood the test of time? These Coach card cases last for years. Most billfolds I've within the past don't last long.

I'm not concerned with spending a little extra on either, but I want to know that they'll last and are as functional as they are "pretty".

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!

For the wallet, I would strongly encourage you to look at Popov Leather. I have a wallet, passport cover, and belt from this company and they are all excellent.

Although they are currently on holiday shutdown, they are offering 25% off on all orders placed now through January 2nd. I can not recommend their work enough.

In regards to boots, I have a pair of Wolverine 1000 Mile derbys in natural chromexcel that are very nice but I prefer the pair of Red Wing Blacksmiths I’m currently breaking in. In my opinion, the Red Wings are a better product.

Hope this helps.

Dayton Boots. You'll never have to buy another boot again.

Saddleback Leather. You'll never have to buy another wallet.

Thanks all...look likes I've got some decisions to make. While looking up your recommendations the Red Wing Rough Neck really caught my attention. That's way more my style than the Blacksmith, 1000 mile, or Iron Ranger. Not that I need heavier lugs on a boot, but they always catch my attention.

@shaverjoe - Did you go with Popov's regular leather or the shell cordovan wallet? How long did it take to break in?

@BigD Which wallet from Saddleback did you have? What was the break in like with?

Thanks again for the recommendations! I hope you all had an amazing day!

Thanks all...look likes I've got some decisions to make. While looking up your recommendations the Red Wing Rough Neck really caught my attention. That's way more my style than the Blacksmith, 1000 mile, or Iron Ranger. Not that I need heavier lugs on a boot, but they always catch my attention.

@shaverjoe - Did you go with Popov's regular leather or the shell cordovan wallet? How long did it take to break in?

@BigD Which wallet from Saddleback did you have? What was the break in like with?

I went with the regular leather English tan 6 card leather wallet in the Horween Derby leather. The card slots were tight for about a week then loosened nicely. The large area for cash took a little longer to break in.

That said, I bought my bother the same wallet for Christmas and his was a bit more supple out of the box.

I splurged for the engraving for mine and my brother’s. It looks great and I feel comfortable this will be a wallet I can pass to my son.

The passport cover I have is made in the Driftwood Chromexcel leather and it is buttery soft out of the box.

I am going to order a razor sleeve during the 25% shutdown sale.

In my opinion, you’d be hard pressed to find a better wallet with a lifetime guarantee for $84 - 25% with the sale- coming in at $63. It’s a fantastic product at that price in my opinion.

As far as the boots go, the Roughneck have too much sole for me, but the Blacksmiths are wonderful.

Good luck with your search and please follow up here to let us know what you eventually choose!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
If you want to try something different in the wallet department you could try a Front Pocket Wallet from Rogue Industries. The wallet is curved to fit the cut of your front pocket and when sitting down you are not sitting on your wallet that can press into your sciatic nerve which can cause you some discomfort. They also come with RFID blocking sewn into the wallet. Worth a look.

If you want to try something different in the wallet department you could try a Front Pocket Wallet from Rogue Industries. The wallet is curved to fit the cut of your front pocket and when sitting down you are not sitting on your wallet that can press into your sciatic nerve which can cause you some discomfort. They also come with RFID blocking sewn into the wallet. Worth a look.

That is very intuitive and interesting...thanks! That could definitely be ideal for when traveling and going to crowded places. I empty my pockets when I get to work and when I get home so I'm not overly concerned with sitting on it. Plus I've carried a card carrier for probably 10 years or more now so I've definitely learned how to keep my wallet slim.

You know what really dumbfounded me!? I contacted Red Wing about their warranty and they only warranty their boots for two years :/ I figured for their heritage collection it would be longer than that. I don't know...maybe I'm expecting too much for a 300 dollar pair of boots.

I’m kind of the opposite. I’ve used conventional leather bi and tri fold wallets my entire life and made the switch last year to a Trayvax and couldn’t be happier!

A5676DD5-A948-4D04-96BD-9BA9F218EB60.jpeg

2322E477-E111-47B0-802B-1881474CE142.jpeg

I’m kind of the opposite. I’ve used conventional leather bi and tri fold wallets my entire life and made the switch last year to a Trayvax and couldn’t be happier!

View attachment 938321
View attachment 938322

I've carried something similar for the last 10 or so years, only leather. I don't carry cash in it, although it does have a money clip, but I've never been a fan of pulling a wad of cash out of it to pay for something; therefore, I don't ever carry cash. I've told myself I need to start carrying more cash and I'm going to make the wife as well. It's way too easy for either one of us to swipe our debit cards without any accountability.

That thing is definitely cool looking though!

Two things:

First - I wear [looses or relaxed fit] jeans and a polo to work everyday. For the past 4 years I've worn some type of hiking boot. Previously was the Lowa Renegade followed by Rocky Outback. Both pairs are wore out and I've been looking at the Wolverine 1000 mile boot. Anyone have any other recommendations for boots or shoes to wear with loose or relaxed fits jeans and a polo? There are days where I'll throw in my Ariat's, but they're not an everyday wearer, especially in Southern CA.

Second - I've carried a Coach (go ahead an laugh) card case, basically a card holder with a money clip, for years now; however, I want to go back to an actual wallet. What wallet have you had that has withstood the test of time? These Coach card cases last for years. Most billfolds I've within the past don't last long.

I'm not concerned with spending a little extra on either, but I want to know that they'll last and are as functional as they are "pretty".

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!
I love that Coach card carrier. I wore out one and have been working on wearing out another. Those things rock!

I love that Coach card carrier. I wore out one and have been working on wearing out another. Those things rock!

Me too, I'm well on my way to wearing out number two...number one was doneski's, but lasted me for years. My current one still has plenty of life in it. I'll definitely keep it around for a backup or if I decide to go back to it.

Quick update: I had some leftover Christmas money and made a trip to the Red Wing store. I bought the Blacksmith's and Iron Rangers. The Iron Rangers were way more comfortable out of the box; however, I wore the Blacksmith's out of the store.

As well, I ordered a wallet from Popov Leather. However, I have come to the conclusion that over the next month or so I will be ordering one from Saddleback and Bellroy to do a review/comparison on. They're all in the same price range of each (2-5 bucks apart). I figured it would be interesting to see how they stack up against one another.

When searching for "Best mens wallet/billfold" the Bellroy repeatedly came up. It unfortunate none of the small (er) leather craftsman get any notoriety. More to come!

Quick update: I had some leftover Christmas money and made a trip to the Red Wing store. I bought the Blacksmith's and Iron Rangers. The Iron Rangers were way more comfortable out of the box; however, I wore the Blacksmith's out of the store.

As well, I ordered a wallet from Popov Leather. However, I have come to the conclusion that over the next month or so I will be ordering one from Saddleback and Bellroy to do a review/comparison on. They're all in the same price range of each (2-5 bucks apart). I figured it would be interesting to see how they stack up against one another.

When searching for "Best mens wallet/billfold" the Bellroy repeatedly came up. It unfortunate none of the small (er) leather craftsman get any notoriety. More to come!

Thanks for the follow up and let us know how each of the items work for you!!!

I have a Bellroy and really like it. I think I have the Slim, but it's got room for a few credit cards and such, and folded bills. Also I have two pairs of Redwings; the Chukka and the Rover. Both are superb although the Rovers are still breaking in and they're tough on my heel. (blister) I'm seriously thinking of buying a pair of Blacksmiths but I'm retired and don't get out everyday anymore but they are just so cool..

I have a Bellroy and really like it. I think I have the Slim, but it's got room for a few credit cards and such, and folded bills. Also I have two pairs of Redwings; the Chukka and the Rover. Both are superb although the Rovers are still breaking in and they're tough on my heel. (blister) I'm seriously thinking of buying a pair of Blacksmiths but I'm retired and don't get out everyday anymore but they are just so cool..

I love my Blacksmiths. They took about 2-3 weeks to break in but now they are wonderful.

I’m looking to pick up a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers in Hawthorne Muleskinner leather but I’m waiting to catch them on sale if possible.

The rep at my Red Wing store said the Blacksmiths are the same as the Iron Rangers, but without the toe cap. For me, i think I like the smooth toe Blacksmiths better, but I could also go with the IRs.

Top Bottom