What's new

Booster Island Bay Rum vs Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Okay, I'm narrowing down the AS that I want to try and I need more information on those two. I know that there are other Bay Rum AS but I am not interested in those for now. I'm more interested in those two, Booster Island Bay Rum and Pinaud Bay Rum.

From what I found on the site, some love the Booster Island Bay Rum and some hate it (with passion). There seems to be a consensus that Booster made an AS that smells like booze and that's it. I did not find a lot of details on how it works with the skin, the scent, etc. Anything details?

Pinaud on the other hand seems to be Clovey and it burns, burns, burns. What else should be known about that one?

You describe it perfectly. Burns like a mother and strooooong smell of cloves. I cut mine with Master Bay Rum and it tones down to make a nice splash with long lasting fragrance.

I've never tried the Boosters, but I love the VIBR. After I splashed some on my face the other day, I felt these drops falling on my head, just like a slow rain. I looked up, and they were angel tears. They were crying because they are not able to wear this. You should try it.

I've never tried the Boosters, but I love the VIBR. After I splashed some on my face the other day, I felt these drops falling on my head, just like a slow rain. I looked up, and they were angel tears. They were crying because they are not able to wear this. You should try it.

I get kinda emotional about VIBR and the Veg. Haven't tried Boosters, but VIBR is pretty good. My only other BR that I have as point of comparison is Captain's Choice. I like the smell of VIBR better, but CC moisturizes better. The burn isn't much worse than most of my other AS, and like I said, I like the clove smell.

Luc

Staff member
I'm surprised that no one commented on the Booster Bay Rum yet...

Is the Pinaud Bay Rum powdery like the classic, lilac vegetal and musk or is simply clovey?

There was a remix of the Master? That's one of my favorite BR's.

That's what I understand. Check the sticky where the guy compares 14 Bay Rums. He said he tried the old version and thought it left a residue behind, so bad that he binned it.

I'm surprised that no one commented on the Booster Bay Rum yet...

Is the Pinaud Bay Rum powdery like the classic, lilac vegetal and musk or is simply clovey?

I've been following this thread because I'm curious too. I haven't commented because I've never tried either one. But, I have some unopened VIBR and I'll break into that tonight. To date, the only BR I've tried is from St. John's and although I like it, it fades too quickly and costs way too much.

I tried the Bay Rum sampler pack from Gary's. I now know that I am not a Bay Rum kinda guy. I didn't care for any of them very much. But, if I was going to wear one of them, it would be the Pinaud VIBR. It was OK.

Luc,

Today I finally remembered to break into my VIBR. I only have one thing to add to your initial description. It fades quickly! As you stated, lots of clove and it burns, but I don't feel that the burning sensation is bad and that doesn't last long either.

At less than $10 for a large bottle, or about $6 for the small one, I definitely think it's worth a shot.

]I always have VIBR in my rotation, but I enjoy it much better mixed 50/50 with Master BR or Stephan's BR. This cuts down the strong Clove and Cinnamon scent and makes it very mellow. I also from time to time add Orange & Lime essential oil's. Wow !!! What a blend.[/B]

Last edited by a moderator:

Luc

Staff member
So far, a lot of feedback on the Pinaud product (I do appreciate guys) but what about Booster?

I should probably buy some essential oils and menthol crystals for that matter. You are not the only member who cuts the VIBR with some of the other barbershop type bay rums. I have a bottle of Master and I'm about to try that at 50/50.

Luc

Staff member
I tracked down a bit of information the Booster Bay Rum but it's light. I saw a few comments on a thread that I made in the past (it's the reason why I started this one). http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/208405-Which-Booster-Classics-Aftershave

I also found this one where the scent does not stay for long, which is what I get with most AS except when it's an AS/Cologne (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/58517-Booster-Aftershaves)

For the scent, I was able to find this one: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...y-rum-smell-like-cloves?p=1671280#post1671280

I was also able to dig this thread which is very similar to the question that I asked: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/141192-Booster-Vs-Clubman-Opinions-Anyone

Just received my first bottle of Booster bay rum from West Coast Shaving. I've used Royall, Clubman VIBR, and have sniffed every other popular brand of bay rum that are currently on the market. Where I live there was a store that dealt exclusively in classic shaving products that recently shuttered, so I did a lot of comparing in real time. Booster smells great, but is not what would be considered a classic Bay rum scent. It's very cinnamon heavy with hardly any clove or bay to speak of. For a classic Bay rum scent you cannot beat Clubman for the longevity and overall character. Its strong clove content gives it a definite anesthetic quality for those days when your shaving hand is not so sure. Also works well as a deodorant alternative when rubbed under arms in the morning. That said, Booster BR is awesome and mixes well as an "undercoat" with both the India and USA versions of Old Spice.

Also, should add that Clubman VIBR smells terrible when sniffed straight from the bottle, but comes alive when applied to skin.

Just received my first bottle of Booster bay rum from West Coast Shaving. I've used Royall, Clubman VIBR, and have sniffed every other popular brand of bay rum that are currently on the market. Where I live there was a store that dealt exclusively in classic shaving products that recently shuttered, so I did a lot of comparing in real time. Booster smells great, but is not what would be considered a classic Bay rum scent. It's very cinnamon heavy with hardly any clove or bay to speak of. For a classic Bay rum scent you cannot beat Clubman for the longevity and overall character. Its strong clove content gives it a definite anesthetic quality for those days when your shaving hand is not so sure. Also works well as a deodorant alternative when rubbed under arms in the morning. That said, Booster BR is awesome and mixes well as an "undercoat" with both the India and USA versions of Old Spice.

Nice review. The only Boosters I've tried was Mosswood which smelled terrific. But the scent was gone so fast I ended up selling it. Cinnamon-heavy doesn't sound attractive to me, but I'm curious, how is the longevity of the Booster BR?

Top Bottom