What's new

Boat shoes with socks

I never wear socks with boat shoes, since I wear boat shoes on a boat.

If you don't go boating, why are you wearing boat shoes?

Same reason I wear tennis shoes when I'm not playing tennis. :001_tt2:

(My actual tennis shoes that I wear when I play tennis are very different from my everyday wear running shoes, which are somewhat different from the normal sneakers you buy at your neighborhood shoe emporium... we call our shoes very strange names)

I never wear socks with boat shoes, since I wear boat shoes on a boat.

They are lightweight, comfortable, durable, slip resistant, they repel water. Wouldn't you? It caught on as quite a common summer footwear choice decades ago... Because they're awesome for more than boats.

Do the Gold Cups actually hold up well to being in water? I had assumed that part of the original design--that is, just a piece of leather stitched to a sole white piece of rubberized material--was because that way it could become completely wet and not have some kind of lining tear away. Zero support is surely correct though. As I recall, way back, Sperry topsiders did not have a lining of any kind. Your foot rested directly on the piece of leather sewed to the sole. Later they started putting in a thin brown liner of some other kind of material glued to the inside bottom of the shoe. Even later that liner started to have some modicum of padding in the form of some blue foam material, but not much. My recollection is that either lining tended to tear away from the inside bottom pretty quickly.
That is my favorite style of boat shoe. I had a cheap no-name branded pair for years. I did not take them on hikes but found the minimal insole to be the most comfortable style to wear, particularly if not wearing any socks. The slightly more padded version of Sperry's was comfortable with socks while the newer more heavily padded version is the least comfortable to me.

I wear mine with socks when I am wearing pants. It looks slightly more intentional if you wear a bright sock, fun sock. I usually try to match my sock to my shirt or neckwear, but boat shoes and a tie don't really go together. If I wear them with shorts, I go no socks and usually end up with band-aids on my heels at the end of the day.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
My boat shoes are Allen Edmonds Hyannis and it depends on the event whether I wear socks or not. Last night on the patio at the sports bar, socks. On the Whaler, no socks.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I think if you wore them with long pants they would only look just a little goofy with socks. With shorts the socks would look ridiculous to me.

To answer an earlier question: the basic Quoddy boat shoes are unlined, with just a plain leather footbed. The navy ones I ordered with a gold colored glove leather liner

The up charge is worth it in my opinion and in both the lined and unlined shoes there is an arch support. Not an orthotic by any means, but still it adds some structure to the shoe and comfort

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Never socks, but Gold Bond or another foot powder is a necessity - or certain insoles that are aborbent.

AA

Top Bottom