What's new

Bleedin' with a Gillette Old Type

ACK! Now I see that there's an editing button - I swear it wasn't there a minute ago! Is this forum haunted?

I asked a Steward about this and apparently the ability to edit one's post (and thus the presence of an "edit" button) is for a limited time only after posting. So if you're within that window, you'll see the button; after that, you can't edit your post.

Thanks, cH3x. I thought I was losing my mind....of course, maybe I still am. It's a strange quirk of B&B but glad to know that it's not the ghost of Sweeny Todd. :001_tongu

I thought I'd bring the story up to date re my difficulties with the Old Type. After only a few shaves, and following the advice of the B&B brethren, I have been thoroughly enjoying the Old. As I became addicted I found that ancient razors were following me home. My favorite now is a 1906 Single Ring. Fine shaver - and, it's old, very old, which I enjoy.

Last week I was explaining my old razor compulsion with a distant friend. He said he's been trying to find a decent shave for years. I sent him an Old Type with some suggestions to make his first experience better than my own. To my delight I got an email from him the day that the Old arrived - he said that he got the best shave he's ever had...and he's 70 so he's been doing a lot of shaving. He's now a convert.

On behalf of myself and my friend I want to thank all the good folks at B&B who have helped us get a better shave. Gotta go now...the Single Ring is beckoning.

Hugh

Also can I ask what blade you are using? I've had great results with either the Gillette Silver Blue or the 7O'clock Super Stainless, the latter probably being my favorite.

These razors are highly efficient and produce a really close shave once you are familiar with their characteristics. Best wishes sir!

I agree they are blade specific. I get great results from my 06 and 08 Single Rings, but the ole gal's seem to only like Rapira Plat Lux. Any blade other than that (I've tried many) she gets finicky. Of course you still have to have a lite touch and good technique.

I thought I'd bring the story up to date re my difficulties with the Old Type. After only a few shaves, and following the advice of the B&B brethren, I have been thoroughly enjoying the Old. As I became addicted I found that ancient razors were following me home. My favorite now is a 1906 Single Ring. Fine shaver - and, it's old, very old, which I enjoy.

Last week I was explaining my old razor compulsion with a distant friend. He said he's been trying to find a decent shave for years. I sent him an Old Type with some suggestions to make his first experience better than my own. To my delight I got an email from him the day that the Old arrived - he said that he got the best shave he's ever had...and he's 70 so he's been doing a lot of shaving. He's now a convert.

On behalf of myself and my friend I want to thank all the good folks at B&B who have helped us get a better shave. Gotta go now...the Single Ring is beckoning.

Hugh

Excellent. It's nice to hear other's out there appreciate the Old Type Single Rings. Not my daily shaver but I still use 2x a week.

Love the Single Rings....got another coming. As for blade - - I'm using Wilkinson-Sword; because I have a lot of them.

Hugh

Top Bottom