What's new

Bleedin' with a Gillette Old Type

I have the Old style, the New and the Slim adjustable as well as a Superspeed.

I use the Old most of the time now. It's more aggressive than the New or the Superspeed. The thinner head (compared to the Slim or Superspeed) makes it easier to shave under the nose. The fact that it's a bit more aggressive than the New or Superspeed means I get a closer shave.

I use Gillette Silver Blue blades most of the time. I get the occasional nick on the horizontal crease in my chin but by being careful to keep the angle shallow there it's usually not a problem. Good shaves can be had by all of them but, as mentioned, the Old makes it easier to shave just under the nose.

The New is similar but the shaves aren't quite as close so the Old is the winner for me.

Friends! Just finished shaving....and, I don't look as if I'd survived a massacre. Not a drop of the red stuff. Very good shave (a few places are a bit inconsistent) - very close and smooth. AND I used the OLD! I was very careful about being sure my touch was light and the angle was slight - took far more care than when using a Superspeed. Thanks for all your help, suggestions and encouragement.

Hugh

upload_2017-5-6_8-37-35.jpeg

Jim - pardon my ignorance. How did you manage to edit your posting?

ACK! Now I see that there's an editing button - I swear it wasn't there a minute ago! Is this forum haunted?

Sorry to have bothered you.

Hugh

No problem, Hugh.

Welcome to the madhouse Hugh! :biggrin1:

I thought this would be a good opportunity to show off my 1920s Old Type head on its 1946 Tech handle:
upload_2017-5-6_15-8-23.png

One fabulous razor!

I'm surprised that @TobyC, our Old Type aficionado, hasn't weighed in yet. Where are you Toby?

That's a beauty, Cal. Is that considered Frankensteinish to use parts from different types/eras?

That's a beauty, Cal. Is that considered Frankensteinish to use parts from different types/eras?
Thank you Hugh. :001_smile It was replated by the magical Chris at RazorPlate.

Yes, it is a little Frankenrazorish. The fat Tech handles are very popular and that particular combo is quite common. In fact the reason I went for that combo was due to folk like @troy, @TobyC, and @rudyt singing its praises.

The Fat Tech handle on an OLD head is one of the best combos ever. It would be ever so slightly better with a thin cap though. :wink2: The tech handle shifts the balance point toward the, and gives it a little better over all feel.

Troy - a word is missing. "shifts the balance point toward the ....."
Why better with a thin cap?
Hugh

Sorry about that towards the head. I like to grip my razor fairly close to the head, and like the head to be heavier than the handle. The ball end works OK, but I do have grip it a little farther back than I like to.

I find the thin cap to be slightly more efficient, but mostly because it is older and has more mojo.
The thin did win the OLD vs OLD Grudge Match.
***WINNER**Grudge Match: Old vs Old; Thin vs Thick

DE Friends,

I learned to shave with a Gillette Super Speed in the '60's. In the late 70's I was seduced away into the Wilderness by electrics. Now, after howling for a few decades I've decided to reenter the human race and shave like a man....well, at least with a DE razor. I acquired a pre-1950 Super Speed. All was right with the world. My technique came back to me quickly. I spotted a Tech on ebay that seemed good so grabbed that. It too was fine. Being an "old fashioned kinda guy who wears Hamilton wristwatches from the 30's and 40's and carries ancient pocketknives I thought a Gillette Old Type and a Gillette New ought to be acquired. The Old came first. This morning I gave it a try. When I was regularly shaving with a DE I'd nick myself maybe once every other month. Since I started with the DE again a few weeks ago I had one nick. This morning I had three nicks and a gash. Well, maybe not a gash but I look like I've been in a minor knife fight.
I thought I was being reasonably careful - is there something wicked about a Old Type that I don't know about? Do you guys use them regularly or only just before Halloween? Are the New Type significantly better/easier?
Any thoughts or advice would be welcomed.
Hugh

Did you center the blade? That's what those tabs are for sticking out on the ends of the cap.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate your insights. If millions of guys have used the Old I figure I ought to be able to master it, too. Will also keep an eye out for a New - incidentally, seems that few mention the New Improved; was it not successful? Thanks again.

My first DE was an OLD, it's still my favorite. :thumbsup:

OK gents, I've read through (yeah, I skimmed a bit) the Great Old vs. New Grudge Match. I see that the OLD won! I wonder what Gillette would have thought of that result?! Anyhow, it tells me that my problem may be the skill of the magician...my problem. Thank you all for your inputs and for participation in the Great Old vs. New Grudge Match. I'll look on my Old with new respect and keep on keeping on.

King Gillette's baby was the OLD, the New only happened because the OLD blade patent ran out and there had to be a New blade with a new patent for Gillette to keep control and fend off competition.

I did center the blade - a bit awkward, will take some practice to do it efficiently.
I always like it when something old beats something new. I wear pre-1950 watches, use pre-1950 fountain pens, shoot pre-WWI rifles/pistols...and, I research/write history. Old is better!

OLDs are one of my favorites, but can be a bit tricky at first. They have more blade exposure than most other Gillettes, so they can bite. The extra exposure gives a very wide range of effective angles, some say use a shallow angle, some say steep. For me I find it works best to not think about what angle I'm using, and just let it find itself. It's more important to pay attention to pressure than angle, use just enough to keep it steady. It can be a little tricky with such a light razor, at first, but isn't that hard to master. I would suggest practicing with a well used blade at first until you get the hang of it. Also make sure you have a good slick lather, sometimes a lather that works well enough for a Tech or Super Speed may not be quite enough for a more aggressive razor. Don't give up on it, even if you shelf it for a while for the NEW. It can be very rewarding to master that seemed too aggressive at first. Once you have it down, you'll realize just how much of a ***** cat they can be.

I no longer pay any attention to angle or pressure, I just shave. :thumbup1:

The Fat Tech handle on an OLD head is one of the best combos ever. It would be ever so slightly better with a thin cap though. :wink2: The tech handle shifts the balance point toward the, and gives it a little better over all feel.

The thick cap head is heavier, works even better in my opinion. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom