What's new

Blade Width

Currently, I am testing which blades in my stock can achieve a BBS loaded in the excellent Yaqi Mellon.
After having put some blades to the test, I suddenly wondered what role blade width plays in this experiment.
I am aware and have experienced that some superb blades underachieve in this razor, while other, supposed mediocre blades surprise me in a most positive way.
So, gentlemen and the occasional lady, what are your thoughts ons this question that keeps my mind occupied 🤔

FE95BD37-04AC-435F-824B-F3200A490AEE.jpeg

Attachments

• BAC0708D-608F-4899-8CDF-652949CF224E.jpeg
    BAC0708D-608F-4899-8CDF-652949CF224E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Taking your subject title yes some blades are wider. Kai is actually known for being wider and a reason why a Kai in a mild razor makes it more efficient.

Once there was a wiki page with dimensions

Currently, I am testing which blades in my stock can achieve a BBS loaded in the excellent Yaqi Mellon.
After having put some blades to the test, I suddenly wondered what role blade width plays in this experiment.
I am aware and have experienced that some superb blades underachieve in this razor, while other, supposed mediocre blades surprise me in a most positive way.
So, gentlemen and the occasional lady, what are your thoughts ons this question that keeps my mind occupied 🤔

View attachment 1392200
Jack if you are in the BBS camp of shavers in the end it will come down to Stroke count. If you choose to push it that far.

Using a mild razor for BBS shaves is counter productive. Yes mild razors can give you a BBS shave. The difference between a mild razor BBS an efficient razor BBS is stroke count. Each stroke from any razor removes skin. More strokes more skin removal. The more skin you can keep on your head after a shave the more comfort you can enjoy.

I started my journal with the Mellon and it needed and used more strokes to complete a BBS shave than the 068 GCOC and the Grande. The GC.068OC is a medium to high efficiency razor. Less strokes needed to complete a BBS than a Mellon. The Grande is more efficient than the GC 068OC and it took fewer strokes for a BBS. (my favourite for many other reasons as well)

BBS shaves are not accomplished without buffing follow up strokes. Mild razors take a noticeably longer, time, effort and strokes to get to a BBS shave. Even if it is a comfortable BBS shave with a milder razor, you have used more strokes to get there. More strokes more skin removal.

For this reason mild razors should only be used for DFS shaves. The Mellon in this capacity is hard to beat. It is a mild razor.

My 2022 year of shaving is based on this premise.

My last years shaves were all comfortable BBS Shaves. My first year shaving. The basic Three Pass Traditional shave was reduced to an ATG Single Pass Shave. Fewer strokes, less skin removed, more comfort. Can that be improved upon yes. Shave more efficiently and less often. Fewer Strokes.

At this stage of my shaves the Fixed Four became Critical. I used Vitos exclusively for a year. A great entry level barbershop soap. The pre, post, and lather development all excellent providing a good shave. Switching to SV soaps was a radical improvement in all aspects of lathering. Matching higher performing products and equipment inevitably led to a fixed four. My shaves this year are about a higher level of comfort. I already shave very comfortable BBS shaves consistently. The only chase left is elevated comfort.

My 2022 shaves are now weekly ATG Single Pass Shaves. Fewer strokes, less skin removed, more comfort. In the end Jack it’s all about keeping very sharp blades off your skin. My experience so far.
One shave down for this year, 51 to go. I’m throwing in a one year Shave Purchase Sabbatical just to keep my OCD at it’s highest performance level as well.

Jack if you are in the BBS camp of shavers in the end it will come down to Stroke count. If you choose to push it that far.

Using a mild razor for BBS shaves is counter productive. Yes mild razors can give you a BBS shave. The difference between a mild razor BBS an efficient razor BBS is stroke count. Each stroke from any razor removes skin. More strokes more skin removal. The more skin you can keep on your head after a shave the more comfort you can enjoy.

I started my journal with the Mellon and it needed and used more strokes to complete a BBS shave than the 068 GCOC and the Grande. The GC.068OC is a medium to high efficiency razor. Less strokes needed to complete a BBS than a Mellon. The Grande is more efficient than the GC 068OC and it took fewer strokes for a BBS. (my favourite for many other reasons as well)

BBS shaves are not accomplished without buffing follow up strokes. Mild razors take a noticeably longer, time, effort and strokes to get to a BBS shave. Even if it is a comfortable BBS shave with a milder razor, you have used more strokes to get there. More strokes more skin removal.

For this reason mild razors should only be used for DFS shaves. The Mellon in this capacity is hard to beat. It is a mild razor.

My 2022 year of shaving is based on this premise.

My last years shaves were all comfortable BBS Shaves. My first year shaving. The basic Three Pass Traditional shave was reduced to an ATG Single Pass Shave. Fewer strokes, less skin removed, more comfort. Can that be improved upon yes. Shave more efficiently and less often. Fewer Strokes.

At this stage of my shaves the Fixed Four became Critical. I used Vitos exclusively for a year. A great entry level barbershop soap. The pre, post, and lather development all excellent providing a good shave. Switching to SV soaps was a radical improvement in all aspects of lathering. Matching higher performing products and equipment inevitably led to a fixed four. My shaves this year are about a higher level of comfort. I already shave very comfortable BBS shaves consistently. The only chase left is elevated comfort.

My 2022 shaves are now weekly ATG Single Pass Shaves. Fewer strokes, less skin removed, more comfort. In the end Jack it’s all about keeping very sharp blades off your skin. My experience so far.
One shave down for this year, 51 to go. I’m throwing in a one year Shave Purchase Sabbatical just to keep my OCD at it’s highest performance level as well.

You gave me something to think about, Jo.
I will reconsider my experiment with the Yaqi.
Last night the Silver Star gave me a fine BBS with the Yaqi. One WTG, two XTG.

I have the Piccolo, never used it. I might use it tomorrow.

Not sure what you mean by SV soaps?

You gave me something to think about, Jo.
I will reconsider my experiment with the Yaqi.
Last night the Silver Star gave me a fine BBS with the Yaqi. One WTG, two XTG.

I have the Piccolo, never used it. I might use it tomorrow.

Not sure what you mean by SV soaps?
Jack you should always explore the products and equipment you are interested in. Continue to use the Yaqi for tests especially if you are comfortable and like to use it. I would shave a two pass or a three pass with as close to zero buffing strokes as possible, for all passes. That should make the resulting blade trials more uniform. The end shave well not being a BBS will be a solid DFS. it is much easier now to judge face and skin for shave results and blade performance. In my experience BBS shaves are more uniform and closer in comparison than DFS shaves. That is how I did my blade trials.

The Piccolo uses the same head as the Grande. The handle is solid brass and a thinner diameter handle then the Grande. I have only used my Piccolo once. There is a noticable difference just because of the handle. Not good or bad. Difference and preference are up to the user their abilities to get a preferred feel or favourite combination. Many shavers play around with handles even custom. A note here Jack. Fatip razors use a different thread pitch than everybody else. So different handles must be Fatip’s or custom.

The Piccolo has the same efficiency as the Grande. A lot more than the Yaqi. Your BBS shave should be fewer strokes than the Yaqi. I will be very interested in your Piccolo shave results.

Blasted acronyms. SV - Saponificio Varesino. I use there product line exclusively in my shaves. Jack I never intend my comments on products or equipment as an encouragement or endorsement to use. I view all products and equipment as excellent. You personally have to use or try any products or equipment for yourself in Your Shaves. SV products work well for me and they are at a higher performance level. My comment meant that if you get to a combination in your Fixed Four or Kit. If there are three strong performers and one weak performer in your kit. The weak performer will slow the whole shave down. Like a car going down the road and one tire is half inflated. That will slow the whole car down.

Post in thread 'GC.68OC, GOLD GRANDE, YAQI CHROME MELLON - A JOURNEY'
GC.68OC, GOLD GRANDE, YAQI CHROME MELLON - A JOURNEY - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gc-68oc-gold-grande-yaqi-chrome-mellon-a-journey.585819/post-11583775

Every component of the kit is significant and of equal importance in achieving a comfortable shave.

Last edited:
Top Bottom