What's new

Blade Wars: Gillette Nacet vs Perma-Sharp Super

Shave 7
Face lathered with Soap Commander Endurance
silver=right, blue=left

Pass 1: Both razors were very good. Both had some drag - a little prickly - neither was significantly better or worse than the other.

Pass 2 - Silver had nice, even, comfortable resistance throughout. Blue flew. It glided along with very little resistance.

Tie

Shave 7 and still looks pretty even. The Perma-Sharps are quite a bit less expensive so on my tight budget, that would give them an advantage.

Shave 8
Face lathered with DH Harris Windsor
blue=right, silver=left

Pass 1: Blue - Lovely. Very smooth pass, blade glided right along. Silver - Noticeable drag throughout - prickly in spots.

Pass 2: Both razors gave me smooth, comfortable, effective passes.

The second pass was a tie, but blue's first pass was superior.
Advantage: Blue

Shave 9
Face lathered with Nivea Sensitive cream
silver=right, blue=left

Pass 1 - Silver had some drag, but it was even and smooth. Blue glided easily on my cheeks, but it hit the brakes on the wiry hairs near my chin and gave me some prickle.

Pass 2 - Silver had a smooth, even feel. Blue had very little resistance.

Another tie.

Shave 10
Face lathered with Tabac
blue=right, silver=left

I thought I'd do a three-pass shave tonight to give one of these blades a chance to pull ahead. Neither did in the first pass. Blue glided a little more easily, but silver's even resistance is very comfortable and pleasant. In the second pass, they were both excellent - very smooth and light. The third pass didn't provide much separation. They both glided along with very little resistance.

While these blades are different from each other, I couldn't say one is superior or inferior. Throughout the blade war, blue won more shaves. It may be just a little sharper than silver. But I love the full-blade "reel mower" feel that silver has provided throughout. Silver gave me both my favorite and least favorite passes of the blade war.

For tonight's shave, advantage: tie.

For the entire Blade War: Tie

THE REVEAL

Silver is: Perma-Sharp
Blue is: Nacet

Interesting outcome. I'm familiar with Perma-sharps. One of the few blades I can't shave with...too sharp, maybe. Or the coating. I almost always get shave bumps when I use them.

I have a tuck or two of Nacets. Haven't used them yet.

Good read!
Just did my eleventh shave with the perma-sharps myself and considering buying a pack of 100 of them.
I'd pick up a small pack of the nacets as well but I haven't found any local retailers carrying them.

Great blade war! I still need to try the Nacets. I had one package of Nacet Platinum a few years ago, which I assume were old stock and now defunct. Based on this the current Nacet Stainless must be a much better blade than those.

Shave 1
Face lathered with DR Harris Windsor.
Silver razor=the right side of my face. Blue razor=left side.

Pass 1: Silver feels very sharp. It's not the smoothest I've ever felt - I'd rate it about an 8/10 on comfort.
Blue is more comfortable and smooth, but not as sharp feeling. All in all, this was a great first pass.

Pass 2: Silver was perfection. 10/10 for how sharp the blade felt, 10/10 for smoothness. It effortlessly glided across my face. Blue was almost perfect. It is very comfortable, but did offer a very slight amount of resistance near my chin.

I have a very good shave on both sides of my face. The right (silver) side feels microscopically closer.

Advantage: Silver

Happy Thanksgiving, B&Bers!
did you ever post which was Silver?

Top Bottom