What's new

Blade Wars: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (black) vs. Personna Lab Blue

This one is actually going the way I called it so far, I think that’s a first for me. Time will tell if I picked the winner.

Shave 6
Face lathered with Italian Barber L' Americano
sliver=right, blue=left

Neither razor gave me a very good pass. Silver prickled, approaching pain. Blue dragged, especially near my chin. Silver's second pass was good. Blue's was very good, a little smoother than silver.

Slight advantage: blue

After only six? Wow.
I only tried an India black once. It wasn't that pleasant or durable. Couldn't figure out what all the hype was about.

After only six? Wow.
I only tried an India black once. It wasn't that pleasant or durable. Couldn't figure out what all the hype was about.
The blade war isn't over yet. I have to say, I am surprised that the first passes have been so uncomfortable. In the past, I've enjoyed both of these blades very much.

The blade war isn't over yet. I have to say, I am surprised that the first passes have been so uncomfortable. In the past, I've enjoyed both of these blades very much.

I know it's not over but I wouldn't expect a name blade to give prickles or dragging after six half face shaves. That's too early.

I’m a bit surprised too. Both blades give me at least 5 great full shaves, the Personna has given 10 without issue.
Yeah... I don't know what to make of this. It has me questioning my whole routine. This morning, I did my usual pre-shave, which is to take a shower and wash my face with the same shampoo I use on my head. I took a break from the blade war and shaved with the razor I was previously using - a DE89 clone loaded with a Perma-Sharp - and it was as smooth as can be. I'm interested to see how tomorrow's shave with the Lab Blue and 7 O'clock black will go.

Shave 7
blue=right, silver=left
Face lathered with DR Harris Windsor

The first pass was better than the previous few. Both razors tugged near my chin area. The second pass was smooth.

Tie

...This morning, I did my usual pre-shave, which is to take a shower and wash my face with the same shampoo I use on my head...

Just out of curiosity, have you tried another type of cleanser for your face as a pre-shave wash? This is a factor that is little studied and IMO extremely important. For example, those that completely strip all oils, e.g., charcoal, etc., seem to make for a far rougher shave in my experiences. I use CeraVe.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I never tried the 7'oclock black blades, but love the yellows. As far as the blade war goes, I would chose personna without even trying the black blades simply on the price alone. I have seen them priced at anywhere between $30.00 - $50.00 dollars. For $50 bucks they would have to shave very well, and then walk my dog and clean my house.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried another type of cleanser for your face as a pre-shave wash? This is a factor that is little studied and IMO extremely important. For example, those that completely strip all oils, e.g., charcoal, etc., seem to make for a far rougher shave in my experiences. I use CeraVe.
Sometimes I use Noxzema, particularly when I do an evening shave without showering. I've used CaraVe moisturizing cream, which is a wonderful product, but I haven't tried the cleanser. I bet it's really good stuff.

I never tried the 7'oclock black blades, but love the yellows. As far as the blade war goes, I would chose personna without even trying the black blades simply on the price alone. I have seen them priced at anywhere between $30.00 - $50.00 dollars. For $50 bucks they would have to shave very well, and then walk my dog and clean my house.
The price of 7 O'clock blacks has come down since I bought them a few years ago. You can get 84 of them on Amazon for $14.22.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
The price of 7 O'clock blacks has come down since I bought them a few years ago. You can get 84 of them on Amazon for $14.22.

Last time I bought blades from amazon I ordered 200 Personna platinum chrome blades for $17.00, entire lot was bad. Only buy from reputable dealers now.

Last time I bought blades from amazon I ordered 200 Personna platinum chrome blades for $17.00, entire lot was bad. Only buy from reputable dealers now.
Are those the Reds? If so, I'm not impressed with them, the Asco's I got from a sampler were better. Asco's! (I'm really liking them, 3 great shaves on one blade, the 3rd one the best so far, but changed razor from a .68 GC to a Progress.)

While I like both blades, I am rooting for the Super Platinum. I seem to get one or two more shaves from a Super Platinum than a Lab Blue, and I like the audio feedback from the Super Platinum. The Super Platinum is one of my top blades along with the 7 O'clock Super Stainless (green).

Shave 8
blue=right, sliver=left
Face lathered with Proraso Red. I used my beloved combination of Proraso Red pre-shave cream. soap, and after-shave lotion.

Pass one: both razors dragged, with silver pulling near my chin. Pass two: blue was very smooth, silver was mostly smooth, but a little bumpy on my cheeks. Pass three: blue had slight - but not unpleasant - resistance. Silver had slightly more resistance.

Advantage: blue

Shave 9
Face lathered with Razorock XXX
sliver=right, blue=left

XXX is one of those products that I initially didn't love, but when I go back to it a year or two later I feel differently about it. It's scent is wonderful and performance is top notch.

Pass 1: Both razors had some resistance, but neither pulled. This is the first shave of the blade war where I haven't felt pulling during the first pass.

Pass 2: Both razors were smooth. Blue felt a little lighter - glided a little more quickly and easily - but not enough to merit a victory.

Tie

I think you are going to be shaving for a while yet on those two blades -- I'm close to 100 shaves on a 7 O'Clock Black and it's just starting to take more work to get a really nice shave. No opinion on the Personna yet, but I remember them lasting longer than Schick blades when I was using an injector 40 years ago.

Top Bottom