What's new

7 O'clock Super Stainless (PPI) Old vs New

7 o'clock ss Rus old new.jpg

Next comparison of old vs new PPI (Russia) blades. 7 o'clock Super Stainless. Manufactured for the Middle East countries. Unfotunately I don't have the double wrapped blades from prior to 2012 anymore. The pack on the left has no date code, but the blades are in a single wrapper, which places it between 2012 and 2015. The one on the right is marked 04/2022 and is laser etched. Something important to bear in mind: The new pack doesn't have ©2017.
Same procedure as usual. Same cream, brush and razor [Pearl SSH 02S OC (old head)]. The blades are the same.

P.S. There is a batch of this model made in Gillette Shanghai in 2020. So there is a possibilty in the future it will be fully moved to China (or India).
Next two blades will most probably be Dark Blue Platinum and Perma-Sharp. I will leave you lot to wait 'til the end for Iridium -Super. :c1:

Branding is for the customer, companies use same packaging, color package, and name for marketing. Me as consumer all I expect is quality, consistency, that should produce same results from shave to shave at fair price. If companies do it right, don't matter where product is made or manufactured. XYZ Pink Blade could come from three factories, in three countries, but good old quality control will make product consistent.

This is like fast food, a franchise benefits from a recognizable brand. Sad few franchise are consistent from location to location. McDonald was for years, and is not any longer. IMHO. Chain,In Out Burger is all over west coast, it is consistent, restaurant are clean, food good if you like their products, but they are all owned by one person who keep the brand healthy.

Branding is for the customer, companies use same packaging, color package, and name for marketing. Me as consumer all I expect is quality, consistency, that should produce same results from shave to shave at fair price. If companies do it right, don't matter where product is made or manufactured. XYZ Pink Blade could come from three factories, in three countries, but good old quality control will make product consistent.

This is like fast food, a franchise benefits from a recognizable brand. Sad few franchise are consistent from location to location. McDonald was for years, and is not any longer. IMHO. Chain,In Out Burger is all over west coast, it is consistent, restaurant are clean, food good if you like their products, but they are all owned by one person who keep the brand healthy.
Sorry, can't agree here. Have tried over 40 Gillette blades. That includes the same model made in different plants. A different plant means it doesn't shave the same. This is a first hand knowledge acqiured for 2 decades, that came from using the blades, not hearsay.

Will only point to the latest example. Gillette Wilkinson Sword were made for a few years at Gillette Shanghai and are quite different to the Indian made Gillette Wilkinson Sword.

Last edited:
Sorry, can't agree here. Have tried over 40 Gillette blades. That includes the same model made in different plants. A different plant means it doesn't shave the same. This is a first hand knowledge aqciured for 2 decades, that came from using the blades, not hearsay.

Will only point to the latest example. Gillette Wilkinson Sword were made for a few years at Gillette Shanghai and are quite different to the Indian made Gillette Wilkinson Sword.
Well then Gillette because of inconsistency apparently don't care about Quality & Consistency. I rest my case.

View attachment 1683461

Next comparison of old vs new PPI (Russia) blades. 7 o'clock Super Stainless. Manufactured for the Middle East countries. Unfotunately I don't have the double wrapped blades from prior to 2012 anymore. The pack on the left has no date code, but the blades are in a single wrapper, which places it between 2012 and 2015. The one on the right is marked 04/2022 and is laser etched. Something important to bear in mind: The new pack doesn't have ©2017.
Same procedure as usual. Same cream, brush and razor [Pearl SSH 02S OC (old head)]. The blades are the same.

P.S. There is a batch of this model made in Gillette Shanghai in 2020. So there is a possibilty in the future it will be fully moved to China (or India).
Next two blades will most probably be Dark Blue Platinum and Perma-Sharp. I will leave you lot to wait 'til the end for Iridium -Super. :c1:
I can buy these locally. Do you like them?

Next comparison of old vs new PPI (Russia) blades. 7 o'clock Super Stainless. Manufactured for the Middle East countries. Unfotunately I don't have the double wrapped blades from prior to 2012 anymore. The pack on the left has no date code, but the blades are in a single wrapper, which places it between 2012 and 2015. The one on the right is marked 04/2022 and is laser etched.

I have a tuck that matches the photo on the left. It was gifted to me so I don't have any other information about it.

Last year, I had one blade I couldn't use for the week and two blades that were less than steller by week's end, the China London Bridge and this PPI 7-O'clock Super Stainless.

This and maybe the Sputnik are only the two PPI blades that have not been top shelf blades.

This did come as a surprise to me, since I like PPI manufactured blades.

I still have all of the blades that I used last year. I might give this used blade another go?

I will also try a new blade again this year.

Top Bottom