What's new

Blade flipping?

Considering that I open up my razors to remove the blade and dry them out after every shave anyway, I don't see it as any time wasted, but I was wondering if anyone else flips their blade for each shave.

I'm with you on this: as long as the blade is out, might as well flip it. Extra time taken is measured in thousandths of seconds.

Fact is, unless I'm changing razors I like to leave the blade in place, untouched. Next fact is, I'm often changing razors in mid-blade. So, flip it!

I'm finding a lot of humor here based on the point of this discussion is extending the blade life and possibly saving money, but we're in a forum where most members have more than a lifetime supply of razors and soaps. Most have an apparent bottomless pit of money for shaving accessories.
I think this debate has more to do with debate than anything else, but then again, isn't that pretty much what every post is about? :c9:

I am too lazy to flip or break down a DE razor after every shave. I just use, rinse off, and park it on the stand. Personally, I don’t care about staining, using the same blade more than a week, or scratches on my workhorse. It’s mine till I go in the ground, so yeah I am going to use as a razor not some silly showpiece or status symbol. I really could care less if I destroy my Rex Ambassador Deluxe, because it’s getting binned when I go anyways. I don‘t use o-rings either🤪 on my razors.

Everyone should have a process. I like to start with gloves: latex first, with the white gloves over the top. Be sure to size your white gloves so they will fit properly with the extra layer.

Next is a short moment of meditation to calm my mind before the process begins. I take the razor apart and place each piece in a silk lined cotton carrying bag. I formerly used a home sterilization process, but for a small fee I found a local dentist that uses their autoclave on the razor parts. For some blades it can be confusing trying to remember which side to reload, so I have them professionally etched with "even" and "odd" to correspond with the calendar. On months with 31 days I simply discard the blade after the 31st as dealing with that conundrum would cause brain damage.

When I return home with the sterilized parts I store them in a hermetically sealed container until the next morning. While reassembling the parts the next morning I like to chant "no weepers" repeatedly. I'm not sure the chanting really is effective, but there is no reason to take unnecessary risks.

I read on the interwebs that a shaver didn't flip his blade and died, and it was online so it must be true. Be very careful out there!
musicman1951 your process is a good start but is incomplete as it is just following a set of heuristic rules for blade management regardless of actual blade condition.🙂 You can enhance your process by including the electron microscope scanning measurement of the actual blade condition that can then be used to tailor you chanting to any specific issues identified.🤣

Regarding the question of flipping blades: In all seriousness I don't touch my DE blades once installed in the razor as the business end is exposed and will dry naturally. Never noticed any benefit from flipping that I tried a few times and potential benefit is likely minimal given replacement frequency. Also touching the blades increases the chance that the coatings will be damaged potentially allowing for accelerated corrosion that can impact blade performance than wear from use. My blades regularly deliver the same or more shaves noted by other users of the three brands I use.

Also recent research indicates that razor blades don't wear gradually but instead wear down via microchipping when cutting hairs. Question whether flipping would do anything to mitigate the effect of microchipping.

Top Bottom