What's new

Blade disposal, what do folks use?

I use a container from my wife's skin care product that she uses.
proxy.php

When it is filled I tape it up, mark it "Sharps" and throw it out. The sanitation department in our town has told me that they don't recycle old razor blades and that it should be put in the taped, marked "Sharps" and put in the trash.

Due to not paying attention I purchased TWO different GEM MMOC sets this week on the Bay. (Long story short I made offers on several items and thought one of the GEM offers had bddn rejected but I was wrong).

Anyway...

One of the sets is in a really nice cardboard box almost new condition. But I'll likely sell it because the other comes in a cool bakelite case and includes old GEM blades.

The seller told me the house they live in belonged to a relative of his wife and I guess the razor was left behind and when they were remodeling the bathroom they found the old GEM blades behind the medicine cabinet.

Definitely will disinfect just in case but I think knowing a bit of the history is cool. Apparently the gentleman was a WW1 vet and they built the house in the 40's and now I get to enjoy the history.

And little did he know when he out those old blades through the slot in the medicine cabinet one day some guy would treasure the history of them.
Screenshot_20190217-203134.png

I move both edges a few times over the stone tile floor. If I then make a cutting motion on my skin while I press the blade down really hard I can manage to hurt myself. I think this is good enough for handling them in a safe way.

I got a medical sharps container for my cartridges and disposables, and I plan to take blade banks to a pharmacy.

Razor blades should be treated like medical waste, ideally.

I use glass olive jars. I cut a slot in the top with a bowie knife and tape the lid on. When it gets full I tape the slot up and mark the bottle "Caution Used Razor Blades"! This way they can still see what is in the jar.

A regular sized soup broth can, with a slit for putting blades in. Should tale quite some time to fill up.

I took an empty green beans can, cleaned it up, glued the lid back on, and spray painted it. I cut a slit on top for the blades to go in. It'll take a LONG time to fill up. It looks kind of cool, too. I have a picture of it on here somewhere. I'll dig it up and post it here soon.

Here it is. I bought a temporary/stick-on tattoo from the 25-cent machine at the store to stick on it to make it look "cool".
blade bank.jpg

I find it hilarious that you gents spends hundreds on your artisanal, boutique shaving requisites, yet have a soup can/soda can/taped-up pill bottle on your lavatory for used blades.
However, the ingenuity is impressive, salt water, acid, hazmat containers...shame ya can't shoot 'em into outer space!
I'm equally surprised no one has yet suggested taking their used blade to the grinding wheel in their workshop to remove the sharp edge, then disinfect it, place in a paper bag, fold bag-top down three times and staple in the middle. Simply toss the paper bag into the dust-bin and you're done!...until the next blade.
Me? I used to put them in the blade-slot of the medicine cabinet and never lost a moment's sleep over it.
My new place doesn't have one so I return them to the dispenser (if there is one), or place them in a decorative blade bank.
ps. OSHA rules are for medical institutions, not private homes.
Any worker who breaks into a bathroom wall oblivious to the risk of old blades should find another line of work. There are countless thousands of homes & apartments that had or still have them.
All recycling workers already wear protection against the myriad sharp things they encounter every minute of every day, blades included.
And anyone who worries about being hauled off by the police for violating local recycling rules should probably seek counselling...Arlo Guthrie excepted!
It's a shame the DE blade users of earlier generations aren't around to read these posts about blade disposal...they be in stitches!
Ya know, a lot of perfectly sane people just throw them in the trash...and don't give it a second's thought...

When I change a blade I take the used one, wrap some paper wipers around it and throw it in the regular trash. This is the proper way in Norway (or at least the area where I live) to get rid of them. According to the local waste distribution service.

Suspect the point abour wrapping it with paper is to prevent the blade from cutting the bag and/or harming the waste collectors.

One interesting thing is that they didnt want people to store razor blades in plastic bottles and throw them. Because they want to recycle the bottles without metal in them. Didnt ask about metal containers. But from what I can find out they dont want you to throw razor blades in the trash can intended for metal and glass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom