What's new

Blade disposal, what do folks use?

I've just recently purchased my self a vintage piggy bank for storing my used blades in.
Just wondering what others like to use to store their used blades

A very inexpensive option is to buy a can of broth and cut a slit in the top with a screwdriver. Pour the broth out and now you have a place to store your blades. Just stick it under the sink and you're good to go. Then when it gets full, you can throw it into the recycling or whatever you want to do.

Also, if you have a medicine cabinetwith a slit in the back that is built into the wall,you can just shove them through there.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

A very inexpensive option is to buy a can of broth and cut a slit in the top with a screwdriver. Pour the broth out and now you have a place to store your blades. Just stick it under the sink and you're good to go. Then when it gets full, you can throw it into the recycling or whatever you want to do.

Also, if you have a medicine cabinetwith a slit in the back that is built into the wall,you can just shove them through there.

oh yes thats a good idea

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I think I paid a couple bucks at WCS for a metal blade bank. I found a nice size coin bank for a buck at a flea market. I used that for a bit. Anything will work really. Or just wrap your blade back up in the wrapper and toss it in the trash.

I put the used blades in the "dead blade" storage thats in the back of the 5/10 plastic packs of blades. A lot more than 5 or 10 fit there. Also when I've run out of the blades, I start sliding them into the main compartment that the new blades were in, and a LOT of blades fit in those. When they fill up (been using DE for 5 years now, haven't filled them all up yet) I intend to wrap them in tape and into the trash.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Coin bank from the dollar store. I've been using it for many years and pretty soon I'll be back at the dollar store.

Are you saying that you cut a slit in your medicine cabinet and throw the used blades into the void between the wall studs? The bottom of my medicine cabinet is 50 inches from the floor and there is about 14.5 inches between the edges of the studs it is mounted in. That's 725 square inches, or 5.03 square feet. Now that is a massive blade bank !

Are you saying that you cut a slit in your medicine cabinet and throw the used blades into the void between the wall studs? The bottom of my medicine cabinet is 50 inches from the floor and there is about 14.5 inches between the edges of the studs it is mounted in. That's 725 square inches, or 5.03 square feet. Now that is a massive blade bank !
Medicine cabinets that are set into the wall used to come with the slot in them, and some kind of decal saying "razor blade disposal" or whatever.
proxy.php

Maybe they still do. I dunno.

Or you can install just a modern slot cover at any place on the wall.
proxy.php

There is a short story (very short) about a guy who wonders about what becomes of the blades that he's been dropping in the slot over the years.
Part two of the story takes place in a desolate alien landscape somewhere in a galaxy far, far away. The blades are popping into existence out of thin air, and strange large creatures are walking around eating them up.
It's a pity I can't remember the title or author. Somebody like Larry Niven or Spider Robinson, I thought.

My blade bank:
When I have to empty it I'll dump it into a sharps container, but since I've been getting up to 100 shaves per blade lately, that won't be any time soon.

My former blade bank:
Large pill bottle (no slot on top) decorated with red PVC tape.

Thanks John, cool pics. It would be interesting to see a thread on here that showed a renovation project that revealed an old stash of discarded blades discovered during a home renovation.

Older medicine cabinets had slits in them for disposing of razor blades.
temp.jpg

@enthusiastic

Last edited:
I use a small tomato paste can. Cut a slot in it and drained out the paste. It fits in the medication cabinet. Been using it for 4 years now.

Yes, and decades from now when somebody remodels your bathroom they'll be very excited to find a giant pile of rusty razor-sharp steel. Get the extra-heavy leather gloves to clean up that mess.

I put the used blades in the "dead blade" storage thats in the back of the 5/10 plastic packs of blades. A lot more than 5 or 10 fit there. Also when I've run out of the blades, I start sliding them into the main compartment that the new blades were in, and a LOT of blades fit in those. When they fill up (been using DE for 5 years now, haven't filled them all up yet) I intend to wrap them in tape and into the trash.

+1. Some of my most preferred blades come in plastic dispenser packs. I have plenty of room for used blades. Apparently the dispensers are, like the TARDIS, bigger on the inside. I've been using one for months and it is still taking blades.

I use an empty beer can. Every blade I know of will fit in it, and in more than five years, I haven't filled it up yet. If it ever gets full, I'll wrap it in some duct tape and take it to a recycler.

Top Bottom