What's new

Blade disposal, what do folks use?

I would not use the "dump in the wall" system (just think about the poor soul who decides to remodel). Just use a blade bank, pill bottle, or any of the other suggestions where you can recycle them.

With all of the rodent and other creatures waste products, along with mold and fungi, and splinters, nails, and screws, hopefully they wear protective gear to demolish and remove material from the area. I would be more worried about recent hantaviruses than a previous tenants blood borne diseases.

After accidently harming yourself with a tool, do you notate somewhere that that tool needs to be disposed of properly, or sterilized before being loaned or sold? Or do you do such with all of your tools? Can lids you cut yourself with?

That being said, putting it into something were someone can't easily cut themselves is a good idea, I just think in a wall shouldn't be considered "easy to cut yourself with". I can get into a sharps container. You shouldn't add one if there are any utilities in that section of the wall.

I use an Altoids mint container. I, generally, change my blades after the third use and the mint container lasts roughly two years. Once it is filled I tape it closed and toss it in the garbage.

With all of the rodent and other creatures waste products, along with mold and fungi, and splinters, nails, and screws, hopefully they wear protective gear to demolish and remove material from the area. I would be more worried about recent hantaviruses than a previous tenants blood borne diseases.

I will read your post as tongue in cheek sarcasm. By placing them inside a wall, they will be there for a very long time. A person does not need to be doing any remodeling or demo to get inside a wall for something. They my be running some new electrical and need to reach down to grab a feed line or something. Even using some of the cheapo gloves (like a lot of diyers buy) someone can have an old blade slice through it.

I will read your post as tongue in cheek sarcasm. By placing them inside a wall, they will be there for a very long time. A person does not need to be doing any remodeling or demo to get inside a wall for something. They my be running some new electrical and need to reach down to grab a feed line or something. Even using some of the cheapo gloves (like a lot of diyers buy) someone can have an old blade slice through it.

And they might get hantavirus from getting stabbed by a nail sticking through the wall sticking their hand in there

I just don't care for what if's that aren't very likely.

Someone jumping into a trash bin with a blade filled pill container could easily get a blade actually lodged into a bone, and since they're dumpster diving, you can bet they don't have insurance. Trying to cut kids fingers off is especially cruel, placing them into piggy banks, or at least things that look like piggy banks ;)

good point you make regarding the danger to dumpster divers. I think if it’s tightly taped and clearly labeled as blade sharpes it should be ok. Personally I probably would not dispose of my blades into a wallbank

good point you make regarding the danger to dumpster divers. I think if it’s tightly taped and clearly labeled as blade sharpes it should be ok. Personally I probably would not dispose of my blades into a wallbank
Someone jumping into, and landing on it with their heel is what I was envisioning. You cannot see all the way to the bottom, so no telling what you might land on. I would recommend steel cans be used, not plastic, or aluminum. SE blades can actually cut through steel cans fairly easy even.

Guess that I am not very inventive! I purchased an inexpensive blade bank that is slowly getting filled.

Some time ago I bought my very first DE razor. It was a Merkur 23c barberpole. It came in a nifty box. That box is now my blade bank and all my used blades go there. After a year or so I think it's less than 1/4 full.

I have one of those medicine cabinets with the slit. I used it for a while. When I had an empty TOBS container I cut a slit in the top and I now use that. I keep that container with my other shave soap containers so it kind of fits in with the shaving soap theme :)

I haven't filled one up yet. I could just throw the container away but I think I'll keep the container and just empty the contents into the next empty soup can I have at that time and I can wrap a little aluminum foil over the top for safety purposes.

Some overthink it. With all the other bio in your weekly trash, razor blades are not a big deal. Cuts to trash workers are the main risk, but what about the broken glass you tossed, or the tin can lid, or? I toss blades in a jelly jar, when full I wrap in duck tape and toss in the trash.

I made a blade bank out of an empty soup can. When it’s full I’ll be sticking that can in the recycling. It’s almost criminal not to recycle that steel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think as long as your not tossing a raw blade into the trash (for your families sake and those of the trash handlers) , to each their own.

I made a blade bank out of an empty soup can. When it’s full I’ll be sticking that can in the recycling. It’s almost criminal not to recycle that steel.

In many localities, it would be criminal to recycle that steel.

In many localities, it would be criminal to recycle that steel.

Well that’s dumb. That’s like not recycling aluminum cans because someone drank from it and it might be contaminated, or not recycling old cars because they might be contaminated with oil or gas (carcinogens.) At any rate, my locale certainly doesn’t have any dumb laws like that.

Top Bottom