What's new

Blade disposal, what do folks use?

why is that?

In many places recycling is still partiality sorted by hand. If your container opened up it would scatter hundreds of razor blades onto a conveyer belt line, where people are picking out pieces that machine sorting left out.
Also, if you are using an aluminum can you may as well throw it in the trash because that what the sorting facility is going to do when they get an aluminum can full of steal. As ferrous and non ferrous metals are processed separately.

...I'm equally surprised no one has yet suggested taking their used blade to the grinding wheel in their workshop to remove the sharp edge...

I was actually thinking along those lines. With a group of, say, 50-100 blades it might be a reasonable method of nerfing the sharp edges. Just make a small jig (2 threaded rods) to hold them aligned and tightened together, and grind the resulting "block". The sharp part of the edge is just a fraction of a millimeter, so it wouldn't take much metal removal to get the job done. Any flat stone would probably do the trick. Then it's just a pile of blanks.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The park. Same place I discard my needles.
was actually thinking along those lines. With a group of, say, 50-100 blades it might be a reasonable method of nerfing the sharp edges. Just make a small jig (2 threaded rods) to hold them aligned and tightened together, and grind the resulting "block".
Over thinker! Seriously, that is waaaayyy too much hobby scope creep.

Actually, I put them in a vitamin bottle that I've tossed some salt in. Occasionally I sprinkle a little water in it and shake. I drilled a few small holes in the top to allow air to pass freely. They don't seem to stay sharp very long. Better living through chemistry. When it's full, I take them out to the grove and give them back to mother.

Last edited:
I throw my blades in a disposable medical container. You can get them from pharmacy!
That's the exact one that I use:

proxy.php

It's 11" x 5.5" x 5.5" and hold 2 quarts. I keep it in the vanity under the sink.

When I manage to fill one (which usually takes years), I take it to my pharmacy. They throw it into a metal bin (looks like a USPS post box, but as large as a dumpster) marked "BIOHAZARD". Then, they give me a new one, free of charge.

I use an empty container from a used up Alum block. I cut a slot in one end and just slide the used blade into the container. I have it taped up so that it stays closed and have been using it now for almost 2yrs. When I get ready to dispose of it I will tape up the slot so nothing will come back out of it...
Blade bank 1.jpg
Blade bank 2.jpg

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Why throw plastic away? Those blades can be dulled many ways and tossed away to disintegrate in any landfill or backyard in little time. That plastic will be there forever.

Steel is biodegradable. These aren't i-beams or angle iron. They will turn to dust in the dirt in a matter of very little time, they have so much surface area in relation to the volume.

Dull your blades easily by any of these methods:
1. You sink is probably glass or porcelain - that's much harder than steel. Wipe the cutting edge of the blade perpendicular to the sink as if you are trying to cut the sink, you won't, but your blade will dull nicely.
2. Store them somewhere where you make them rust by adding a little salt and moisture, that will dull them too.
3. Rub them on any common rock, trying to cut it with the blade, now it's dull.
4. Rub them on the spine of another blade, trying to cut it with the blade, now it's dull.
5. There are many many more.

But no reason to have these things sharp any longer than you want them to be given how easy it is to dull them and no reason to have them in plastic when you dispose of them unless you are doing a bio bin thing and turning it into someplace.

Last edited:
Very safe/secure (kids) way to store used blades. Buy a can of chicken/beef broth. Cut a small slit in the top of the can shake-drain contents. Add water & rinse. Can be decorated or painted. The can shown is 3 + years old weights 1.36 lbs and still has room. When full tape over the slit & trash.
BladeDisposal.JPG

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Very safe/secure (kids) way to store used blades. Buy a can of chicken/beef broth. Cut a small slit in the top of the can shake-drain contents. Add water & rinse. Can be decorated or painted. The can shown is 3 + years old weights 1.36 lbs and still has room. When full tape over the slit & trash.
View attachment 1029387
Nice idea.

I've been using a pharmacy pill bottle. I used a Dremel to cut a slot in the top and the traced a razor blade onto a piece of paper and taped it to the outside of the bottle. It's pretty full after about 4 years of shaving and I'm trying to decide whether I should just toss the whole thing in the garbage or transfer it to a metal container and throw it in the recycling. I'm thinking a metal mint container might be the way to go. Years ago I did buy a heavy brass British mail thing a ma bob but haven't tossed any blades in it. It's just a decorative piece in my den. If I did use it I'd have to empty it and I'm not sure I want to go through the hassle of all that. The thing is fairly big and sits on the top of the dresser in the guest bedroom while the pill bottle is where it needs to be.......in the bathroom medicine cabinet. I'm probably overthinking this.
IMG_0004.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom