What's new

Blade Coating

For the sages - just how durable are these coatings they put on the blades ("Teflon," "Super Iridium," "Unobtainium")? Wash off with soap? Barbisol soluble? Gone with the first pass? Just curious....

The top layer should always be something like PTFE. It will wear down over several shaves, but I do not think much of anything else will affect it. One Gillette patent talked about stripping off excess with a strong acid, but said that a thin film still did the job.

Any coatings under the PTFE are mostly for hardness, and usually made of neutral, stable materials like platinum.

I think "super iridium" and similar terms are meant as branding, not descriptions of a coatings.

The top layer should always be something like PTFE. It will wear down over several shaves, but I do not think much of anything else will affect it. One Gillette patent talked about stripping off excess with a strong acid, but said that a thin film still did the job.

Any coatings under the PTFE are mostly for hardness, and usually made of neutral, stable materials like platinum.

I think "super iridium" and similar terms are meant as branding, not descriptions of a coatings.

My thoughts were that sideways friction (physical force) could also disrupt the coating. In trying to see if anything was written about that, I came across this new Gillette patent application that I found very readable, in discussing coatings. Also, notice that Diamond-Like Carbon (DLC) and Amorphous Carbon are mentioned as under the PTFE coatings. I believe I read that the Mach 3 blade was the first to use DLC as a coating.

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20140090257

My thoughts were that sideways friction (physical force) could also disrupt the coating. In trying to see if anything was written about that, I came across this new Gillette patent application that I found very readable, in discussing coatings. Also, notice that Diamond-Like Carbon (DLC) and Amorphous Carbon are mentioned as under the PTFE coatings. I believe I read that the Mach 3 blade was the first to use DLC as a coating.

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20140090257

Good find. Thanks for posting the link.

Haven't we a member who analyzed a few blades with an Electron Microscope? If I remember well, there was absolutely no Iridium in the composition of the Super Iridiums.

Edit:

Here we are, found it.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom