What's new

Blackland ERA Review

I had my first shave with the Blackland Era last night and it was an excellent shave. Started with the #3 SB plate and found it ton mild so switched to the #4 SB plate which was just right - some blade feel, enough to let me know what I was doing, but very smooth. The blade was a Lord Platinum with one use.

The razor certainly punched way above its weight, in terms of price. I also liked the low profile of the head, and the width of the head.

I’m still getting a feel for the shaving angle and the range of shaving angles for the razor.

I’ll be using it some more to get used to it, but initial impressions are excellent. Well done Shane!

Update to ERA #5 SB. Discovered (for me) if I ride the bar a little more, this razor is great. Usually ride toward the cap, tried toward the bar, a handle width from my face, will very little to no pressure, just enough to hold the blade to my face, have been consistently had some of the best shaves ever. This razor is great!!!!

Update to ERA #5 SB. Discovered (for me) if I ride the bar a little more, this razor is great. Usually ride toward the cap, tried toward the bar, a handle width from my face, will very little to no pressure, just enough to hold the blade to my face, have been consistently had some of the best shaves ever. This razor is great!!!!

Awesome! Appreciate the angle feedback, too. Always helpful to better understand how customers use their razors.

Would like to revise how I use my Era 5 SB. 1st pass steep angle (ride the bar), 2nd pass in the middle (between steep and shallow, 3rd pass shallow (ride the cap). Have had the most, best shaves ever with a variety of blades.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
@cwright , how much of a tightrope act is a part cap/part comb pass with a level 5 plate? Does the blade exposure make it tricky or is it completely natural to have both cap and comb barely touching the skin?

Does anyone know the eras threading is a #10 - 32 ( olde> like Krave, rockwell, yates, ,,,) or a more modern main stream M5 x 0.8 threads??

Was ready to pull the trigger on the Era, decided to pass. Reasons: seems to be some quality control issues, all sales are final, cheaper raw 303 / 17 -4 stainless steel, overall plates are mild - not a good jump in differences from one plate to the next, only OC plates left, OC plates are not rounded, rubber rings?? - prefer some knurling on the handle. For a little more, the karve seems ( to me) a better bang for the buck. Maybe a good collector for some or a solid mild daily driver. If they drop in price again not with only the OC plates, I would think about it for my dad.

Was ready to pull the trigger on the Era, decided to pass. Reasons: seems to be some quality control issues, all sales are final, cheaper raw 303 / 17 -4 stainless steel, overall plates are mild - not a good jump in differences from one plate to the next, only OC plates left, OC plates are not rounded, rubber rings?? - prefer some knurling on the handle. For a little more, the karve seems ( to me) a better bang for the buck. Maybe a good collector for some or a solid mild daily driver. If they drop in price again not with only the OC plates, I would think about it for my dad.

Lol it doesn't really sound like you were all that close to pulling the trigger with that long list of grievances. Not to worry, we have more products coming that might fit the bill! But we’ll never design a razor with traditional knurling.

Lol it doesn't really sound like you were all that close to pulling the trigger with that long list of grievances. Not to worry, we have more products coming that might fit the bill! But we’ll never design a razor with traditional knurling.
No joke, no grievances. Wow no knurling ...never ..roger that.
Well, sorry... I was just expressing my option but I know we have way more members here that love the Era, Dart, Lite, Blackbird, Vector, Sabre. So need to worry here. So many love the era, though I know so many are seeking SB plates. Also thank you for the lightning follow-up! That shows right there you are connected, listen and response. I admire that and thanks. That also shows the company has a great soul! I had a great conversation with sig solo, great guy about the era. Which help in my choice for another DE. Now Blackland razor designs are really well researched ( from watching you vids and reading) thou I have not had the chance yet to experience the shave with modern USA design razor. Who knows....
Strange how Canada seems to have more razor innovators up. I think, this is because it is so frigg'in cold and their is nothing else to do(wait maybe hockey or curling) ......now that was a joke....ok maybe a bad one. Hell maybe I pick up an era for my dad who be turning 95 soon! Plus he is a passionate daily shaver, open comb and slant user. Some day I will do the math and figure out roughly how many days he has shaved( yikes) ! Vet, bronze metal, amazing dad, my hero.....Cheers BFX

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I ended up selling my Era with the 4SB, 4OC and 5OC base plates here on B&B BST... I sold it not because I didn't think it was a bad razor. On the contrary, the alignment was perfect, right out of the box.... all three base plates. At the time, the 5SB were sold out due to my own negligence. I waited too long.

I sold off ten of my very fine razors, not because they were defective in any way. I might well regret that decision but I am funding another expensive razor. I know lots of people say they "never looked back"... I'm not there yet and I'm not sure that is a direction with which I'll comfortable. I was sorry to see the Era disappear. I have several friends (@Arbor Man ) who love their Eras and report excellent shaves with them.

Top Bottom