What's new

Blackbird Lite vs Karve Overlander

Recently acquired blackbird lite which I like but I didn't know about the karve overlander at the time. Not sure what I would have choose had I known about it. Only read good about both and tempted to try the overlander. Anyone have any insight on a comparison between the two?

I don't have a Lite Bird (have a standard BB) and I don't have an Overlander (have a Christopher Bradley) But I too would like to hear from someone that has both razors. So bumping this post for attention.

This should be an interesting comparison. I have the standard BB and the Overlander. The BB is the more efficient razor, but comes with more blade feel. I can get nice close shaves with the Overlander but it takes more touch ups to get there. The Overlander is the better razor ATG. I bet the BB Lite is closer to the Overlander, but will let those that have one chime in.

Both the regular BB and Overlander are great razors. If I could only have one, it would be the Bird.

I plan to write a detailed comparison of these two razors soon as I've been using both for a while, the Overlander since December and BB Lite for about a month. I will say this as a teaser... Both are amazingly good razors if you prefer slightly mild but efficient. I only shave my head, and it's true what they say about the Overlander in that you can shave ATG right out of the gate. I have historically not been able to do WTG with any great success no matter what razor I have used - and I've tried A LOT!
I shave in the shower and have had truly amazing results with both the Overlander and BB Lite - shaving ATG.
It would be difficult to decide on just one if pressed to make a decision. I like them both very much and have not touched any of the others in my stable since getting these.
The Blackbird has been in my sights since it was first released but no way I could handle the standard version.
IMO, and many others', it's a work of art. The fact that it's also such a useful tool brings joy that was otherwise unimaginable in my quest for a good head shaver. I can't thank Shane enough for going back on his word to never make a different, more mild geometry :love-struck:

I plan to write a detailed comparison of these two razors soon as I've been using both for a while, the Overlander since December and BB Lite for about a month. I will say this as a teaser... Both are amazingly good razors if you prefer slightly mild but efficient. I only shave my head, and it's true what they say about the Overlander in that you can shave ATG right out of the gate. I have historically not been able to do WTG with any great success no matter what razor I have used - and I've tried A LOT!
I shave in the shower and have had truly amazing results with both the Overlander and BB Lite - shaving ATG.
It would be difficult to decide on just one if pressed to make a decision. I like them both very much and have not touched any of the others in my stable since getting these.
The Blackbird has been in my sights since it was first released but no way I could handle the standard version.
IMO, and many others', it's a work of art. The fact that it's also such a useful tool brings joy that was otherwise unimaginable in my quest for a good head shaver. I can't thank Shane enough for going back on his word to never make a different, more mild geometry :love-struck:

Looking forward to your comparison. Not that I need another razor!!

I had the Overlander and have the Lite. I did not do a side by side. Probably should have before I sold the Overlander. From memory the Overlander has a bit less blade feel. I like the Lite better because of that so I know what is cutting. Efficiency is pretty close. The feel of the shave is different. Overlander shaves steeper. Lite shallower. I should revisit the Lite to be sure as I haven used it in awhile. Blade clamping on Overlander is very good.

I had the brass Overlander so it was a bit heavier. The grip on the handle is better in the Overlander and I personally like the handle length choices.

I’ll be interested to hear the other comments myself.

Get them both if you have the budget.

Last edited:
I don't know about the Blackbird, but I find the Overlander very mild with just enough efficiency to get the job done. It's a good razor, but I kinda wish it was a bit more efficient and I still have troubles cleaning up some spots on my face. So if you are looking for very mild and somewhat efficient razor, the Overlander might be the one for you, but if you want a lot of efficiency, then I suggest looking for something else.

Thanks” Look forward to your more detailed comparison! :popc::popc:

I have a BB Lite Ti. Right now, it is my #1 razor. Efficient enough, smooth enough, not fuss, BBS (jawline needs a bit of work to achieve it) never any irritation. If you have sensitive skin, it’s a compelling razor.

It still shaves like a BB, just a lot less blade feel and less gap.

Recently acquired blackbird lite which I like but I didn't know about the karve overlander at the time. Not sure what I would have choose had I known about it. Only read good about both and tempted to try the overlander. Anyone have any insight on a comparison between the two?
I have a BB lite and a Chris Bradley with a B plate. The Chris Bradley is smoother and more efficent. I use the BB with a feather blade to get the best results. Both razors are great but if I had to choose just one, it would be the Chris Bradley.

I have a BB Ti Lite (2 of them) an Overlander Al and one in SS.

They shave very differently. The BB Lite has plenty lot of blade feel, the Overlander almost none. The BB Lite has a small gap, Overlander a moderate gap.

Overall, both are excellent. If I had to choose one, I would take the BB Lite because I like the shave parameters better. Both result in a similar shave, but it’s the mechanics that get you there.

I have a BB Ti Lite (2 of them) an Overlander Al and one in SS.

They shave very differently. The BB Lite has plenty lot of blade feel, the Overlander almost none. The BB Lite has a small gap, Overlander a moderate gap.

Overall, both are excellent. If I had to choose one, I would take the BB Lite because I like the shave parameters better. Both result in a similar shave, but it’s the mechanics that get you there.
I'm very interested in the Overlander in SS. I am leaning towards milder razors and this one has me fixated on it. It will likely be my next purchase. How do you like it compared to the AL?

I do not get why people want to “feel” the “blade”.

Personally think reflection is just passing blade over bead, saturated in soap, rubbing area post shave, and feeling no beard or stubbles.

Find it interesting at party A, and B make comparison on a razor.

As one person could have sensitive skin, tough swirly beard, and other person beard skin condition could be total opposite.

Not even taking into consideration shave cream, soap, and blade used.

Think it like asking two people favorite BAGLE dhop in NYC. Most Bagels are great in Big Apple.

Top Bottom