What's new

Black or Brown?

I would imagine your age would come in to play here... I apologize if my generalization proves inaccurate for anyone on here, but I would bet that most older/more traditional types would say black. I'm a bit of a younger guy who prefers a more modern style (i.e. not "skinny" but definitely slimmer than traditional), and personally, the only time I would ever say black shoes is with a black suit. In just about every other color combination, I much prefer the look of brown leather.

I would imagine your age would come in to play here... I apologize if my generalization proves inaccurate for anyone on here, but I would bet that most older/more traditional types would say black. I'm a bit of a younger guy who prefers a more modern style (i.e. not "skinny" but definitely slimmer than traditional), and personally, the only time I would ever say black shoes is with a black suit. In just about every other color combination, I much prefer the look of brown leather.

I think this is spot on. Black was my go to color with blue and gray, and I'm 71. This topic has really taken my fancy, however, and yesterday I wore slim, dark brown, cap toes with a dark, gray, chalk striped, suit. Bingo! They, IMO, looked great! To the point, I'm afraid, that I only want to wear dark brown, or burgundy shoes and belts with gray, and blue suits.

The old adage " you can't teach an old dog new tricks" is wrong, and this sub-forum is the best!

Best regards, Ron I

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I feel like I have written this a number of times over the years, but my understanding was that the English rule of dress was black shoes only in the city. That brown, and I guess tan and oxblood shoes were for the country. Brown suits, too, I would assume.

Yes ... my understanding is that "no brown in town" was a definite English rule, and really that meant you had a specific way of dressing when you were in Town (and specifically in London) and a different way of dressing when in the country, which could include small communities (what we would normally call "towns" today.)

Of course, this goes back quite a way, back when rules were rules and following rules was a big deal. I don't think many Englishmen follow that rule all that much any more, but what we can take away from all this is ...

... if you are going to be spending your suit-wearing time in a major metropolitan centre, the "town" attire is more suited as the blacks, greys and darker blues tend to compliment the concrete and steel surroundings, and if you are out in the suburbs or smaller towns, then tweeds and earth tones tend to look better.

Take that general "rule of thumb" and blend it with what looks best with your personal complexion and colouring, and toss in a dash of personal preference, and you have a good idea of what to do.

Top Bottom