What's new

Black or Brown?

I've seen it work both ways so I'm curious as to a show of hands from this crowd.

Typical business casual office setting - Slacks and button-down long sleeve shirt.

When the slacks are navy blue, which color shoes and belt would you wear? Black or brown?

I would wear black.

Brown with navy blue has become fashionable in some circles, but in a business situation, unless you're the top dog I would follow the dress code of the others.

I would wear black.

Brown with navy blue has become fashionable in some circles, but in a business situation, unless you're the top dog I would follow the dress code of the others.

Well that's just it, I've seen it both ways. There's actually one fella here (one of the principal) who's work navy slacks with browns shoes with a reddish tint and it looks real sharp. Of course he also wore black socks...but he is one of the principals of the firm, so I keep my mouth shut.

Mid to dark brown, or oxblood (the "dark brown with the red tint") would be best. They're both fairly conservative colors acceptable in business environments. Black shoes are good for black, charcoal, and that's about it.

Well that's just it, I've seen it both ways. There's actually one fella here (one of the principal) who's work navy slacks with browns shoes with a reddish tint and it looks real sharp. Of course he also wore black socks...but he is one of the principals of the firm, so I keep my mouth shut.

I think the correct color is oxblood (which is the brown with reddish tint). That's what I wear at least. I remember being taught not to wear a black belt or black shoes with a navy suit.

I think the correct color is oxblood (which is the brown with reddish tint). That's what I wear at least. I remember being taught not to wear a black belt or black shoes with a navy suit.

I would think burgundy (cordovan polish color) shoes and belt would be perfectly acceptable. However, I have always thought black shoes with a black belt with silver buckle acceptable also. Please enlighten me.

Ron I

That's a personal decision. Personally, I don't care for black shoes so it's an even more difficult decision of 'what non-black color do I choose?'

Seems we're split down the middle, with a small renegade group telling me I need to go out and buy a pair of oxblood shoes. :)

That's pretty much exactly what I figured would happen. The brown shoe enthusiasts are alive and well here on B&B although I think this is the first time I've heard anyone try to tell me that black shoes don't go with [insert any colour].

I would think burgundy (cordovan polish color) shoes and belt would be perfectly acceptable. However, I have always thought black shoes with a black belt with silver buckle acceptable also. Please enlighten me.

Ron I

I don't have anything authoritative on the subject it was just one of those fashion fauz pas in our house.

You're safe either way, but the fact that a principal in your firm wears brown shoes with navy slacks opens the door to doing the same, IMO.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

There's your answer.

That's pretty much exactly what I figured would happen. The brown shoe enthusiasts are alive and well here on B&B although I think this is the first time I've heard anyone try to tell me that black shoes don't go with [insert any colour].

:001_tt2:

Black shoes ... blech!!

Aww, I kid. Just funnin' ya. One thing I would say though, is that the darker the suit/pants/outfit is, the better black shoes will fit in. I think black shoes with beige pants looks too "high contrast" for my liking.

proxy.php

proxy.php

... the second example (even with flashy spectators) seems much more "harmonious" to me.

:001_tt2:

Black shoes ... blech!!

Aww, I kid. Just funnin' ya. One thing I would say though, is that the darker the suit/pants/outfit is, the better black shoes will fit in. I think black shoes with beige pants looks too "high contrast" for my liking.... the second example (even with flashy spectators) seems much more "harmonious" to me.
:)

I won't argue that there are outfits where some shade of brown may look more dapper. I suppose my philosophy could be summed up thusly - "Black may not always be best, but it will never be wrong."

Top Bottom