What's new

BJ Eyre, Sheffield. Yard sale find. Looking for info

4E437CDA-7D3D-4A3B-B38C-D8309B1986A7.jpeg
0499B8D9-050D-4BFB-A2A8-4A2F08679A79.jpeg
734DC8F4-C6DA-4796-B908-947515DACB33.jpeg
Got this as part of a massive yard sale find. Ok looking for any info. From what I gather it may be as old as 150 years. It seems to be in great shape

How can I tell it it’s a wedge or if the scales are original.

And would you fellas just clean it up a little, hone it and shave?

STRAZORS.com - all about classic razors - B.J. Eyre & Co., Sheffield.

If there is no country of origin listed, the razor was produced prior to the McKinley tariffs of 1890. The tang does not look that stubby, so after 1845. Just a speculation and nothing definitive.

Celluloid was being produced in the 1890's, so maybe on the originality of the scales. I have a Torrey with similar looking material.

Those wedges shave great. Congratulations on your find.
Thanks. It’s fairly meaty. Is a wedge technically one piece of steel or it is still semi-hollow?

Solid. I have one that I use one layer of 3M electrical tape to go through the honing progression, then remove to strop.

Have you seen this video?
I love these old British videos too.

Can I tell if it’s solid by the weight and if it sings when I shave or run something against the blade??

I love these old British videos too.

Can I tell if it’s solid by the weight and if it sings when I shave or run something against the blade??
My Wade and Butcher full wedge is a silent cutter. A member once discribed a hollow as a sports car and a wedge as a truck.

Near wedge is really what they are. A true wedge would sit completely flat against the hone so when honing you would be grinding away the entire side of the blade. Now, its possible full wedge razors are around, but Ive never come across one yet. The eyre is a great razor. I have a couple myself. Your lucky you found one that hadnt been reground. It was a big thing after the turn of the century to send them back to the manufacturer for regrinding. Hollowing them more.
A nice find for sure.

If you just want to clean it up a little use some steel-wool and metal polish being careful around the edge. This will take a lot of the patina off so do a little and see what you got. I like a razor that shows its age. Not everyone feels the same. Floss with polish can get into the biggest part of the pivot.

BTW, its hard to tell from the pics, but volcanized rubber was used for scale material too and can be polished up very nicely. Rub it fast and stiffly with your fingers and see if it smells like a tire.

Near wedge is really what they are. A true wedge would sit completely flat against the hone so when honing you would be grinding away the entire side of the blade. Now, its possible full wedge razors are around, but Ive never come across one yet. The eyre is a great razor. I have a couple myself. Your lucky you found one that hadnt been reground. It was a big thing after the turn of the century to send them back to the manufacturer for regrinding. Hollowing them more.
A nice find for sure.

If you just want to clean it up a little use some steel-wool and metal polish being careful around the edge. This will take a lot of the patina off so do a little and see what you got. I like a razor that shows its age. Not everyone feels the same. Floss with polish can get into the biggest part of the pivot.

BTW, its hard to tell from the pics, but volcanized rubber was used for scale material too and can be polished up very nicely. Rub it fast and stiffly with your fingers and see if it smells like a tire.
Thanks. I’m soaking it in Evapo-rust, and I’ll lightly hit it with 0000 steel wool.

Nice to know about the scales.

A nice find for sure.

I rubbed the scales and it does smell like a tire. How do you suggest I clean that up?

Its a hard rubber. If it has deep scratches or gouges i recommend unpinning and sanding every bit of it smooth and even. Start with 400 if no deep marks. Snad up to 1k then i hit them with a buffer and compounds. Some of them will turn brownish in color over the years, but sanding and buffing will bring the black back and you can bring them up to a high gloss with a buffer if you want too. Hand polishing works too. You just wont get as high a gloss.

Top Bottom