What's new

Birmingham Pens - Carnegie Steel Co. - Cold Steel Ink

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I notice someone on Foutain Pen Network characterized Birmingham inks as maximum drab, which they liked. Not sure what that means!
I looked that up and didn’t see that. In 2020 fpn had discussions about the fact that their inks were made by another company. Then the posts seem to drift off complaining about too many “east coast” names for their inks. Not useful at all. I’m still contemplating an order but haven’t pulled the trigger. I bought a few other inks now and the shipping is bothering me a little.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Gents,

These guys are producing inks of the highest quality, better than any I have used to date!

They recently came out with a new line where the ink evolves in color as it dries. I like my three other 120ml bottles of the various colors so much, I decided to get another of the new ink.

I purchased the Herrs Island Ultramarine, and what a stunning ink it is...a new favorite! The ink comes out, in an extremely rich and dark navy blue, and it evolves into a color that keeps this dark blue but lightens with coppery pink tones and highlights! It is luscious...sumptuous...and very very interesting! The pictures don’t do it justice, but hey...I tried!

Vr

Matt
View attachment 1232568View attachment 1232569View attachment 1232570View attachment 1232571View attachment 1232572View attachment 1232574
Really like this color too. I thought I was going crazy because their site says free shipping at +40 but at checkout it’s free at +75. Shipping is $9. I guess I’m a cheapskate but this bugs me. I emailed them.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Okay check my last post. The 40 was increased to 75 today. The website just didn’t reflect the change

Okay check my last post. The 40 was increased to 75 today. The website just didn’t reflect the change
I hate paying shipping. I think that they know that and lure us into the trap of buying more products than we need. Notice I didn’t say more than we want.

I looked that up and didn’t see that. In 2020 fpn had discussions about the fact that their inks were made by another company. Then the posts seem to drift off complaining about too many “east coast” names for their inks. Not useful at all. I’m still contemplating an order but haven’t pulled the trigger. I bought a few other inks now and the shipping is bothering me a little.

" Birmingham Ink: "MAXIMUM DRAB" (which I personally love about them)"

Under a thread entitled "Ink Brands in a Nutshell."

That $75 minimum free shipping. I definitely went to $40 worth to get free shipping. So far I am not loving these inks in particular. The colors are interesting and they are a good deal at $9 or so for a 30 ml bottle.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
They just emailed me and they reconsidered the shipping amount and reversed their decision and went back to free shipping with +40.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
" Birmingham Ink: "MAXIMUM DRAB" (which I personally love about them)"

Under a thread entitled "Ink Brands in a Nutshell."

That $75 minimum free shipping. I definitely went to $40 worth to get free shipping. So far I am not loving these inks in particular. The colors are interesting and they are a good deal at $9 or so for a 30 ml bottle.
What don’t you love?

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I received my TWSBI from Anderson Pen and the thing that impressed me the most was they included a handwritten note thanking me for the purchase.

The personal touch that these companies put in their packaging is something that dates back before the 70’s.
That's awesome. I've noticed a lot of pen companies do things like that. Pen Boutique always includes a handwritten note. Goulet used to, but now they just give you some Tootsie rolls or something. Brian actually did a video explaining that he couldn't keep up the with the handwritten notes and had to stop doing that. Anyway, the stationary hobbyist community is still pretty small and I'm sure these retailers know they have to play for repeat business. Its a lot like the shaving retailers in that way.

tankerjohn

They just emailed me and they reconsidered the shipping amount and reversed their decision and went back to free shipping with +40.
:yikes: I hope they refunded you the shipping amount.

Shipping is one of those things I'm kind of conflicted about. On the one hand, I don't like paying for shipping either but on the other hand, I understand that many of these small web-businesses are running on thin margins and shipping costs money. This is one area where Amazon really skewed the playing field. Its kind of like when Walmart got big and conditioned everyone to think you shouldn't have to pay more than $10 for a pair of jeans and that crushed all the "Mom n' Pop" shops on Main Street. Now Amazon has conditioned us that everything should ship for free. Except that it isn't really free. Well, good for Amazon; they can easily absorb the costs. They're a huge corporation with an enormous in-house logistics operation and buku economies of scale. But these little pen stores can't do that. So some go the Goulet route and don't do free shipping and hope that keeping the shipping rates reasonable and making up the difference with customer service is enough to compete. Or they go the Lemur Ink route and do $20 free shipping, but keep inventory and overhead very small. Or split the difference somewhere - I think most of the others like Pen Chalet, Pen Boutique, and Vaness are at $50 free shipping.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.

Shipping is one of those things I'm kind of conflicted about. On the one hand, I don't like paying for shipping either but on the other hand, I understand that many of these small web-businesses are running on thin margins and shipping costs money. This is one area where Amazon really skewed the playing field. Its kind of like when Walmart got big and conditioned everyone to think you shouldn't have to pay more than $10 for a pair of jeans and that crushed all the "Mom n' Pop" shops on Main Street. Now Amazon has conditioned us that everything should ship for free. Except that it isn't really free. Well, good for Amazon; they can easily absorb the costs. They're a huge corporation with an enormous in-house logistics operation and buku economies of scale. But these little pen stores can't do that. So some go the Goulet route and don't do free shipping and hope that keeping the shipping rates reasonable and making up the difference with customer service is enough to compete. Or they go the Lemur Ink route and do $20 free shipping, but keep inventory and overhead very small. Or split the difference somewhere - I think most of the others like Pen Chalet, Pen Boutique, and Vaness are at $50 free shipping.
Ya the longer story for me is that I had been considering their stuff for awhile. And was deciding to pull the trigger. I kept seeing free over 40 but at checkout it was $9 shipping and free over 75. I almost did it but then held off. I had previous emails with them about other questions so I wrote and asked for clarification. They explained that shipping was eating into profits and they changed the threshold that very day so they sent me code to comp shipping. Then today they emailed me and said they just changed their minds and are keeping it at +40. I should have explained it before. But in any event I’ve got some hopefully good stuff coming soon.

Last edited:

tankerjohn

They explained that shipping was eating into profits
Yeah, that’s exactly what I was talking about. I feel them. But you know what? I bet having zero pens in stock isn’t so good for profits either. I don’t know if that’s a Covid thing, though.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Yeah, that’s exactly what I was talking about. I feel them. But you know what? I bet having zero pens in stock isn’t so good for profits either. I don’t know if that’s a Covid thing, though.
Ya for sure. Also shipping comes with the territory with e-commerce right.
Re. The pens yes. a strange way to build demand.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I watch the "free shipping" discussions with a somewhat strange view ... being in Canada just about any online retailer with "free shipping" has it "CONUS only" ... and I end up paying shipping anyhow.

And yes, there are a few actual Canadian websites out there I buy from, and usually with free Canadian shipping over a dollar amount. But ...

Well, "there's no such thing as a free lunch" ... and "free shipping" isn't free; the cost is built into the cost of all the products on sale at the website. More often than not, though, I'm ordering from websites where free shipping isn't an option for me. So I try to buy "enough" to make the shipping cost "make sense" ... and appreciate the websites that have a sliding scale of shipping depending on what and how much you order. (Some of those websites can have pretty sophisticated systems to calculate the size and weight of the package depending on items purchased.)

Either way, I rarely order one or two things ... either I get enough to win the free shipping lottery, or I buy enough to justify the added shipping costs.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.

Did anyone else hear the sound of digging? I’m officially in a new rabbit hole 🕳
Lemur ink ... delicious ink choices. Cool looking bottles. Brands I haven’t heard of before. Many smaller bottles available too. As long as the small bottle looks like it has a wide opening. Oh my. I have another cart full....
in the past when I would infrequently use a fp I was very content with pilot shin Kai. It would never dry out in the pen and harm it. Now that I’ve embraced actually cleaning my pens the world of many other ink colors is there for the use.
@tankerjohn is a fantastic enabler. Seriously Some good recommendations.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I’ll say that frequently expectations set the bar for what I expect. I’ll also say that “FedEx” shouldn’t take 7days. (And counting) Also when I had to ask about shipping and tracking and then was promised I’d receive it on a specific day sets the bar. So far Birmingham is a bust.

Last edited:
Top Bottom