What's new

Billy Jealousy Hydroplane Shave Cream, Hot Towel Pre-Shave Treatment

Has anyone used any of these 3 products from Billy Jealousy?

I read a bunch of great reviews on these products a few months back but I realized I hadn't seen any mention of their products here on B&B.

http://www.amazon.com/Billy-Jealousy-Hydroplane-8-Ounce-Bottle/dp/B000A5CPJ4
http://www.amazon.com/Billy-Jealousy-Pre-Shave-Treatment-Ounces/dp/B000A5CPJY/ref=pd_sim_bt_1
http://www.amazon.com/Billy-Jealousy-Shaved-After-Shave-Ounces/dp/B000A5CPK8/ref=pd_sbs_bt_1

review
http://www.shavingstuff.com/archives/003614.php

the hydroplane shaving cream isn't all that more expensive than proraso.
proraso = $10/156ml
billy jealousy = $20/236ml

i'm very intrigued by the hydroplane + hot towel preshave.
is it all just marketing hype or does this stuff actually work?

Not all that much more? just double the price. I am sure they are good products but I find there are better products for a cheaper price.

Of course, my wallet is bare, yours may not be.

no look at the size, its double the price for almost double the amount.
so it is more expensive than proraso and cheaper than tobs.
i thought that puts it easily in the acceptable price range, at least around here.

proraso = $10/156ml= 6.41 cents/ml
tobs almond = $13.5/156ml= 8.65 cents/ml
billy jealousy = $20/236ml= 8.47 cents/ml

i'm mainly interested in this hydroplane silicone feature they tout.
to be honest i'm kind of shocked that not a single person has tried these here at B&B.

Name kind of scares me...Like one of those guys with spiky hair dressing in drag waving a pink flag around and singing "We are the champions". Maybe it good stuff...I believe i did see a thread on the stuff on another forum though.

ya me too, before i found B&B and de shaving i was reading into shaving with a brush+m3+something besides canned gel. thats when i heard the billy jealousy brand come up a bunch of times on lists of best shaving creams. although to be honest now that i think back on those lists i saw, brands like t&h, tobs, trumpers were nowhere on those top 10 lists. kind of makes those lists suspect i guess.

To borrow a phrase, it makes those lists "Vehemently Suspect". I'm very new to this but have tried TOBS, Real Shaving, and T&H which are excellent. I just checked out their website and am not impressed.

I have used a tube of the hydroplane shaving cream. I got it as a party favor at the "grand opening" of hotel my firm did some legal work for. It's good stuff as I recall, performs very well. However, I don't think it has much of a scent.

really? thanks for the reply thats encouraging news. i really want to try the hydroplane+hot towel combo but at $42 for both its too steep for me to pull the trigger on both until i see more good reviews. especially since i've only tried KMF so far and there are so many other established shaving creams i have yet to try.

i'm hoping a few people on here with SCAD and a deeper shaving cream budget will be as intrigued as i am and take the leap. and of course help us all out with a review. :)

that link in my first post was the only real review i could find but it makes it sound so good.

I really like the Billy Jealousy line, too bad is so pricey. My favorite is their Shaved Ice ASB. Love the scent.

I've used both the shave gel and a/s balm, but only with a Mach 3. It was the last of the high-end designer products I was to use before switching to DE/wet shaving.

I found it to work better than Sharp's. It's good on glide, as it contains micro silicone beads. It has a very faint grapefruit scent.

I haven't tried it with a DE razor but I imagine that too much product would be needed for multiple passes.

The a/s balm has a strong cooling effect and smells more like orange or tangerine, if I remember correctly. The balm seemed to work fine but didn't wow me.

Joel gave Billy Jealousy a somewhat favorable review during his Mach 5000 vs. the Schickanator review. But he gave Woody's line a better review.

Incidentally, I actually met Woody and he's a really nice guy.

i'm usin Hydroplane.. it was given the Best Shave by Esquire magazine.. goes along fine.. thing is I myself am trying to find out what's the best to use.. i only got it cos it seemed the best thing at my local shave store.. hmm, i guess i need just as much help....

i have some hydroplane and it is one of the slickest shaving creams i have used; i like it. it is right up there with proraso insofar as slickness, imho. it really doesnt have any scent. i also have the shaved ice aftershave and it is a product i use fairly regularly. it works well and has a light citrus scent. i wasnt that impressed with the hot towel though, esp for the price. i got samples of several of their products from billyjealousy.com. email them and they should hook you up.. i like the combat lines 30 spf face cream, the liquid gloves hand cream, and the illicit colonge. fyi - best4men.com ships the shaving stuff for free.

I think the Hydroplane itself is very good.
I use a DE and I like T&F and AoS also. I like the slickness of the Hydroplane (I have sensitive skin - Hydroplane really protects the skin) and I keep it in my rotation.
It doesn't have a scent - which is fine with me, as I prefer unscented shaving products.
I've tried the Hot Towel on it's own and mixed with Hydroplane - I was not impressed with the Hot Towel.
My two cents: Try the Hydroplane, skip the Hot Towel.
Do note that Hydroplane is NOT meant to be used with a brush - this makes it an ideal cream for days when you are perhaps in a rush and don't want to take the time for a bowl and brush.

I was at Nordsrom last weekend picking up a tub of T&H and the lady there was very keen on having me try those two on my hand. The shaving cream seemed slick enough, just wasn't what I was there for. The pre-shave was really interested. She put some in the palm of my hand, then had me put a little water in it and mix it up. It got really warm, really quickly. It was pretty surprising (especially since she didn't tell me it would do that). I could see how it could definitely be a good pre-shave treatment.

Top Bottom