What's new

Newbie - Shavette User

I have been wet shaving with cartridge shavers like Gilette and Harry's. A few weeks ago, after doing a decent amount of research, I decided to get a Shavette. While I would have loved a straight razor, the investment was just a bit too steep. It'll also help to convince my wife if I stick with this, that the expense of a straight razor is warranted :D

Here's the equipment/product I use (some of this is new, because of the shavette, some of it is what I used before with my cartridge shavers)
My routine:
  • Put brush in mug with hot water
  • Shower
  • Dry off, including face
  • Replace hot water in mug
  • Hot damp/wet towel on face (1 minute or so)
  • Put pre-shave oil on
  • Shake off brush
  • Put some shaving cream on my brush
  • Lather on face, circular movements
  • Use "painting style" to get good coverage of lather
  • Shave with the grain
  • Clean face
  • Shave across the grain
  • Clean face with cold water
  • Put alum on where I cut myself (I tried putting it on my entire face, but it dries out too much)
  • Wait a few minutes, then rub Aftershave oil on my face.
Questions
  • Should I put pre-shave oil on my face before lathering for the second pass?
  • I have been doing pretty well on my cheeks and neck, but have not quite worked up the nerve for chin/mustache area. Any hints on how to get started there? Every time I start in those areas, I feel the angle of the blade isn't quite right, and I'm afraid I'll cut myself badly. I've been shaving these areas with my Harry's razor.
  • I feel that sometimes I am blocking my vision when shaving (I hold the razor in my right hand for my entire face) ... any hints?
  • When shaving across the grain, do you change the grip of the razor?

Thanks so much!

Welcome to Badger and Blade @ToineCL.

You have a nice kit and sounds like a good pre-shave prep going. I would suggest you copy and paste this same post in the Straight Razor Shave Clinic as you will likely reach your target audience a bit faster. You will also find all sorts of tips and techniques for working around those hard to reach areas.

I occasionally use a vintage straight, but I have a goatee so the chin and under the nose are not issues for me. Best wishes for many great shaves.

When you have a few minutes, stop over at the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

I shaved for the first time last night with a shavette. After getting used to a safety razor the shavette felt like a whole new beast. All these new angles to learn and how to hold the razor In different areas. I was hesitant for a long time but at some point the I made the plunge. Knowledge and muscle memory can only come with experience. Just take a shot at it, see what works. I did and cut myself quite a few times but did end up with a very close shave.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Welcome to B&B. I'm sure you will get all of the info and help you need in the straight razor forum.

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Welcome to B&B.

Being able to shave your face with both hands is quite an advantage; especially with a straight razor. It may be intimidating at first, but at least start brushing your teeth and using your shaving brush with your non-dominant hand to build a little confidence. Good luck!

Welcome to B&B.
Shaving with the shavette or straight razor requires using both hands to see and keep the correct razor angle. Higher risk of cuts with an unguarded blade so takes a bit more care. Keep trying and you will get there.

I have been wet shaving with cartridge shavers like Gilette and Harry's. A few weeks ago, after doing a decent amount of research, I decided to get a Shavette. While I would have loved a straight razor, the investment was just a bit too steep. It'll also help to convince my wife if I stick with this, that the expense of a straight razor is warranted :D

Here's the equipment/product I use (some of this is new, because of the shavette, some of it is what I used before with my cartridge shavers)
My routine:
  • Put brush in mug with hot water
  • Shower
  • Dry off, including face
  • Replace hot water in mug
  • Hot damp/wet towel on face (1 minute or so)
  • Put pre-shave oil on
  • Shake off brush
  • Put some shaving cream on my brush
  • Shave with the grain
  • Clean face
  • Shave across the grain
  • Clean face with cold water
  • Put alum on where I cut myself (I tried putting it on my entire face, but it dries out too much)
  • Wait a few minutes, then rub Aftershave oil on my face.
Questions
  • Should I put pre-shave oil on my face before lathering for the second pass?
  • I have been doing pretty well on my cheeks and neck, but have not quite worked up the nerve for chin/mustache area. Any hints on how to get started there? Every time I start in those areas, I feel the angle of the blade isn't quite right, and I'm afraid I'll cut myself badly. I've been shaving these areas with my Harry's razor.
  • I feel that sometimes I am blocking my vision when shaving (I hold the razor in my right hand for my entire face) ... any hints?

Thanks so much!
i dont recommend oils since they may clog up pores

Glad to have you here, @ToineCL!

Questions . . .
As others have said, ambidexterity is essential to getting the angles you need. However, in my experience, it isn't as simple as using your right hand for the right side of your face and your left hand for the left side of the face. The more horizontal, sideburn-to-mouth strokes seem easier (for me, anyway) using the opposite-side hand. And, yes, changing the way you grip the shavette comes with changing the direction of the pass.

Top Bottom