What's new

Newbie - Shavette

M

member 119848

...and by the way, don´t be afraid of pink :001_rolle
2F399B68-6188-4D7A-AA73-2DF3FFE8B134.jpeg

My Feather SS arrived yesterday and today´s shave with it was without any nick! :smartass:
@GearNoir I discovered your shave-journal and it´s great, and along with @Seveneighth posts I´m getting good tips from you gents. Keep on sharing your knoweledge and experience. [emoji106]

As a SR newbie I have to reassure everybody who´s hesitating to start the shavette exploration. It doesn´t have to be bloody. Just be careful.
I used my dominant hand during all the shave, and with the ProGuards it helped reduce the risk of injury. I finished with touch-ups on my chin using a DE, other than that, I'm pleased with my first shavette shave.
I intend to use the ProGuards for the first 3 months until my technique allows me to try sharper blades.

I'm so glad you have had a good first shave! But it doesn't surprise me; your skills with an aggressive DE probably transfer to using the SS. Good shaving technique is good shaving technique whatever the razor.

I was taught to straight shave just with my dominant hand by my Grandfather as he was by his. I shaved like that for 20 years. It was only after giving up with straights and coming back to them in recent times that I have started switching hands. If I am tired or in a rush I shave one handed. I believe switching hands is more of a modern convention, and dominant hand shaving is more traditional. But I have nothing to prove that.

I wish you many happy SS shaves in future!

M

member 119848

I´m on my 4th shave and still no injury. The results are as good as if I used my R41.
You helped my conversion into AC guys. I´m not going to shave with any DE anytime soon!
RAD just kicked in. I ordered a Feather DX with Pro blades.

I´m on my 4th shave and still no injury. The results are as good as if I used my R41.
You converted me guys. I´m not going to shave with a DE anytime soon!
RAD just kicked in. I ordered a Feather DX with Pro blades.

Hahaha, that's excellent news. The DX is a different beast. Much closer to the feel of a straight, especially with a Pro guard blade IMO. The Pro Guard in the DX gives it a softer feel much like a straight edge. The Pro blade is awesome to use but be careful because there is more blade exposure than the SS.

You realise what this means? You will have to get a Kai Captain and Excelia to complete the set...

M

member 119848

Hahaha, that's excellent news. The DX is a different beast. Much closer to the feel of a straight, especially with a Pro guard blade IMO. The Pro Guard in the DX gives it a softer feel much like a straight edge. The Pro blade is awesome to use but be careful because there is more blade exposure than the SS.

You realise what this means? You will have to get a Kai Captain and Excelia to complete the set...
The DX looks like a real straight indeed. I´ll take it easy on the touch and the angle used, promised!
Yes I get what it means: a level deeper in the rabbit hole.
I got to keep my RAD secret from my wife.

I am totally satisfied with my De shavette, a Universal. But if I ever create a budget for another shavette, that would be a Feather SS or a Captain Kai.

Great choice Fabi.

M

member 119848

Have any of you been interested in Kamisori-style shavettes? Or any experience with them?
They seem somehow to have an ergonomic advantage...
Generally, Kamisoris are fascinating.

Have any of you been interested in Kamisori-style shavettes? Or any experience with them?

They are said to be a bit more manuverable and actually easier to use for some, but I’ve been quite fine with my western style. I even use it kamisori style sometimes, though I know it’s not really the same.

They are a bit more common in the Feather AC and compatible ranges. I have the DX, SS, Kai Captain, Kai Excelia, and CJB.

In some ways they perform better than the folding versions, although the heads are identical between the folding and fixed handle versions of each razor.

The SS in particular has two advantages over its folding sibling. The folding SS has those weird wavey jimps that can be quite slippery. The kamisori style has a rubberised handle that fits nicely in the hand. The second advantage is, if like me, you shave with a light touch on the blade and lateral pressure on the lip, you have more control over the forces you are applying.

True kamisori razors have an asymmetric grind and can therefore only be used in one hand and with one side of razor against the face. This suits the style of one handed shaving. I don't own a true kamisori razor, and whilst the Feather ACs are symmetrical, if I shave with my DX or Excelia I prefer the one handed approach. I am more relaxed with my SS.
proxy.php

They are said to be a bit more manuverable and actually easier to use for some, but I’ve been quite fine with my western style. I even use it kamisori style sometimes, though I know it’s not really the same.
I do the same especially for ATG and my side burns.

They are a bit more common in the Feather AC and compatible ranges. I have the DX, SS, Kai Captain, Kai Excelia, and CJB.

In some ways they perform better than the folding versions, although the heads are identical between the folding and fixed handle versions of each razor.

The SS in particular has two advantages over its folding sibling. The folding SS has those weird wavey jimps that can be quite slippery. The kamisori style has a rubberised handle that fits nicely in the hand. The second advantage is, if like me, you shave with a light touch on the blade and lateral pressure on the lip, you have more control over the forces you are applying.

True kamisori razors have an asymmetric grind and can therefore only be used in one hand and with one side of razor against the face. This suits the style of one handed shaving. I don't own a true kamisori razor, and whilst the Feather ACs are symmetrical, if I shave with my DX or Excelia I prefer the one handed approach. I am more relaxed with my SS.
proxy.php
That Excelia is such a nice design!

M

member 119848

Nice collection :001_tt1:
So do I, am very satisfied with the western style. I feel comfortable holding my shavette NEAR the blade, as I feel it gives me more control. (see the picture below) Am I holding it like you folks?
DD2B15C7-129A-439D-9F7A-7FB8785A4AF9.jpeg

On the Kamisori-style however, the grip seems to be handled with more distance from the blade (in comparaison with the western style).
When I ordered the DX that´s what I thought. Although I do shave with one hand only, the western style seems better to hold the tool nearer to the blade.

Nice collection :001_tt1:
So do I, am very satisfied with the western style. I feel comfortable holding my shavette NEAR the blade, as I feel it gives me more control. (see the picture below) Am I holding it like you folks?
View attachment 890177
On the Kamisori-style however, the grip seems to be handled with more distance from the blade (in comparaison with the western style).
When I ordered the DX that´s what I thought. Although I do shave with one hand only, the western style seems better to hold the tool nearer to the blade.
I think grip is a matter of personal preference. Everyone's hands are different sizes.

I hold the SS how I hold a regular straight, as a result of how I was first shown and years of shaving like that before picking up a Feather AC. Your grip looks more sensible than mine for the SS. I grip the tail between my ring and little finger, something I don't need to do on other razors because of jimps or thumb notches.

There is less room on a straight razor between the scales and the heal because the blade is longer.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Top Bottom