What's new

Big Rotation Leading to Brush Issue?

What do the experts here think? I have a big brush rotation and I have been using a Simpsons Chubby 2 Synth for the past 6 months as a daily driver. I thought I better use my Semogue SOC Taj Resin Boar for some rotation and I found that the SOC barely held enough lather for a second pass. The lather simply dissipates in the time it take me to complete my first pass. It seemed to work well when I broke-it-in more than a year ago - but now, after a 6-month break, it's barely performing - and even shedding the odd hair which it did not do originally. The Chubby Synth on the other hand has given me fantastic lathers for two-passes and continues to do so. I am using the same soap (Vallobra Almond Shaving Soap Block) so that is consistent. Is this a case of a brush suffering (or sulking) from no use and therefore needing some break-in again? Or does the SOC just not like the Vallobra? Or is the Chubby just superior in this case? Anyone have any advice?
If you used synthetic brush for 6 months, you're probably well adjusted to easy lathering. I believe boar takes a bit more of a challenge in that I have to load heavier with decent water as well. I particularly don't like the Marco method for its messiness but performance-wise, it works well. I just tone down the water a bit and keep loading. 30 second loading with a synthetic will perform better than a minute load with a boar for me. It's just how it is in my experience.

Take couple days and practice loading heavy with the boar while adding good bit of water. I like rotating between brushes to adjust myself to the performance of the brush rather than going for a all-in-one approach.

If you don't like the Marco method, just use a very wet brush aka "the wet method". It is quick, not particularly messy and builds a good lather. I think measuring the amount of water you add and adding graduated drops of water is a pain, I'd rather load more soap. After awhile you learn how much you need. Big clouds of lather in a hurry can be fun.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Big Rotation Leading to Brush Issue?

Could the thread title rather than the OP offer a clue?

Don't we have to - at least to a small yet significant degree - account for the individuality of each brush as it interacts with each soap. I don't mean to overstate this because then it becomes silly but jumping around too much can lead to problems which tend to go away with the use of a standard kit.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for variety, but too much of it leads to problems which are functions of the variety rather than of the kit.

That said, I have a few brushes, mostly boars, badgers, and one horse, a few brushes I use. I also have a few other brushes I don't use because I don't like 'em. Neglecting the ones I don't like, the others, the ones in my actual rotation, all perform well. They have their minor idiosyncrasies of course, but they're minor. Still, they have to be accounted for.

On occasion I'll wash all my rotation brushes (or perhaps just the boars) in Ship-Shape, but this happens rarely because it's usually not necessary.

Just my two cents. Your brushes may be a lot different from mine.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Fantastic advice all round everyone. I will take the corrective measures advised. Thank you so much - I feel better but also guilty of the Neglected Brush Syndrome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've recently started shaving in the evening before bed rather than in the morning before work. I prefer the switch because I don't feel as rushed and I can take my time. It also allows more time to soak my brush prior to building lather which I believe has lead to better lather.

I now start soaking my brush long before I'm ready to shave as opposed to the two minutes while brushing my teeth in the morning. Now it may soak anywhere from fifteen minutes to an hour. I think it makes a difference. YMMV. Good luck..

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've recently started shaving in the evening before bed rather than in the morning before work. I prefer the switch because I don't feel as rushed and I can take my time. It also allows more time to soak my brush prior to building lather which I believe has lead to better lather.

I now start soaking my brush long before I'm ready to shave as opposed to the two minutes while brushing my teeth in the morning. Now it may soak anywhere from fifteen minutes to an hour. I think it makes a difference. YMMV. Good luck..

1583874967656.png

See Big Nurse for more OCD Enhancer.

OCD Enhancer.png

Or Elixir (my favorite)

OCD Elixer.246.jpg

Mike says they're the same, but he knows better. Everything's better if it comes in a jug.

CrownKing.BayRum.Jug.Bottle.480.11-12-18.JPG

Even ^ this.

Happy shaves,

Jim

If you don't like the Marco method, just use a very wet brush aka "the wet method". It is quick, not particularly messy and builds a good lather. I think measuring the amount of water you add and adding graduated drops of water is a pain, I'd rather load more soap. After awhile you learn how much you need. Big clouds of lather in a hurry can be fun.
I usually snip the posts I quote to just leave the relevant bits. In this, I've snipped nothing because everything you said is on point, and I couldn't have said it better myself.

I wonder if people who say wet brush lathering is messy wash their faces with just a washcloth (because it's neater). I wash my face over the sink with my hands. Yes, water falls, but guess what, it falls ... in the sink (just like any extra lather)

I 100% agree with the OP, when it comes to boar brushes.

Synthetics don't require soaking at all.
Badger brushes are fine after a ten minute soap even after not being used for months.

Boar brushes are a pain when not used regularly. I need lather for 4 passes and I find boar brushes don't hold enough if used after weeks/months.

When I feel like using my boar brush, I give it a 15 minute soak the night before and another 10 minute soak on the morning of the shave.

I 100% agree with the OP, when it comes to boar brushes.

Synthetics don't require soaking at all.
Badger brushes are fine after a ten minute soap even after not being used for months.

Boar brushes are a pain when not used regularly. I need lather for 4 passes and I find boar brushes don't hold enough if used after weeks/months.

When I feel like using my boar brush, I give it a 15 minute soak the night before and another 10 minute soak on the morning of the shave.

Maybe that is why I have trouble with my Semogue boar brushes. I might try your trick.

I do something similar when I want to use a bone dry seldom used boar. I'll give it a quick soak the night before while I brush my teeth (so maybe 2 minutes), then leave it wet (I.e. no shaking or squeezing) overnight. The next morning it's business as usual. Just a personal preference, but I don't like long soaks.

Maybe that is why I have trouble with my Semogue boar brushes. I might try your trick.

Please let is know how you go.
I find it is literally the only way for me to get a totally dried out boar to work for me.

I do something similar when I want to use a bone dry seldom used boar. I'll give it a quick soak the night before while I brush my teeth (so maybe 2 minutes), then leave it wet (I.e. no shaking or squeezing) overnight. The next morning it's business as usual. Just a personal preference, but I don't like long soaks.

Yah, leaving the brush wet overnight would also work but I would just add that I'd probably hang the brush bristles facing down to prevent the water getting into the base of the brush.

Top Bottom