What's new

Best year for Gillette Slim Adjustable?

The earlier models were better by just a hair.. From the 3d quarter of 1961 (G-3) to the last quarter of 1968 (N-4) for the nickel plated version.
Type: DE, TTO, Adjustable 1-9
Weight: 2.5 oz (I measured the 1965 K1 at 71g.).... .Also came with gold details instead of chrome, maybe in 1969. available with a longer handle. Later models changed to plastic underside of head. Towards the latter end of production for this model, it also came in a blue color.

You have mixed together descriptions for both the Slim Adjustable and the Super Adjustable.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Gillette_Slim

My '62 Slim was my first vintage razor, and I still use it in my rotation. Whenever I get to thinking that it doesn't shave as well as some of the other razors (Merkur, Fatip, Gillette NEW SC), I discover that it needs a new blade, or I'm trying to shave a 48-hour beard with a setting too low for my face. Once I correct those issues, I find once again that it is still a superb shaver.

I'm down to one Slim, my birth year and quarter which I had replated at Back Roads Gold. It's a great razor and I couldn't tell the difference between that or the other two I PI'd away.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Yeah, I was going to be a wiseguy and say somewhere between 1961-68, but pretty much everybody else has beat me to it. Agree with the consensus. Here's some good info from the wonderful website "GilletteAdjustable.com"

From my experience the Slims until H2 are more robust due to a more solid head design.

The clamps at the bottom of the head that hold the doors with the "T-Bar" (see first pic) can be loosened. As a result, the doors might not always open completely synchronously and sometimes might not close flush.

Here are some pics for explanation.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 67
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 69
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 66
Slims are ingenious shaving tools. Mine code is J 4. It is 56 years old and it gives great shaves. Still one of the best adjustable razor.

Love my Slim.

Slims had 2 upgrades. First one was in 62 and then in 64. I'm no expert, but since Gillette had to upgrade them, I'd say the J2 Slims from 64 till the end of their production are the most robust and have the best built. I only had 2 Slim and I sold one. The one I sold was G4 and the one I kept is H3. Both shave well, but the doors are slightly misaligned, but that doesn't affect the shave at all. If i'm ever going to buy another Slim it would definitely be J2 or a newer model.

dsadsadsdaa.jpg
fsdfsfdsfdsdsf.jpg

Slims had 2 upgrades. First one was in 62 and then in 64. I'm no expert, but since Gillette had to upgrade them, I'd say the J2 Slims from 64 till the end of their production are the most robust and have the best built. I only had 2 Slim and I sold one. The one I sold was G4 and the one I kept is H3. Both shave well, but the doors are slightly misaligned, but that doesn't affect the shave at all. If i'm ever going to buy another Slim it would definitely be J2 or a newer model.

View attachment 1161366View attachment 1161367
I have two H4 slims, one with the design on the left, and one with the design on the right. The change must have occurred in the last quarter of 62. I like the old design myself, seems more solidly built.

Think both Slims n Fatboy are still good Razor, and way cheaper then some modern Adjustables.

Why reinvent wheel, no reason IMHO.

Has to be something to Vintage Razor if woolen are spending money on replaying, and tune ups.

"Yes, the original Slim Adjustables are fine tools."

You can say that again.

"Yes, the original Slim Adjustables are fine tools."
+1 There is a reason today's "modern" razors mimick and aspire to emulate vintage Gillettes. Also, the reason so many have survived and are in use today............QUALITY '63 I-2 here

Always fun to see these chestnut B&B threads come up.

An L1 was my first vintage razor, bought in 2009-10ish. It was and is, a great shaver. Since then, I have picked up an H1, it's equally fine as it's younger sister.

I have three Slims - I, J and K (63, 64 and 65). The K is my birth year razor, so used at least twice a week.

All three give a brilliant shave: very smooth, very well balanced, and for my money, better than the Fatboy. Paired with either a Permasharp, Nacet or Astra SP blade, it's just about perfect.

I have an H2 Slim headed my way. So far the only DEs I've used are a 1950s rose gold ball end Gillette Tech, and a rare early 1946 gold fat handle Tech that has the blade gap of the "pre-war" yet with "post-war" slots. Since February, but mostly the latter for the last 6 months

I plan to start with the Slim on 2 or 3, to get a feel for the razor with a blade gap similar to what I'm used to. But the real reason I got it is to find out if I like more aggressive razors or not. Quite excited, because I've been looking for a few months for one in this level of condition and price point.

I have an H2 Slim headed my way. So far the only DEs I've used are a 1950s rose gold ball end Gillette Tech, and a rare early 1946 gold fat handle Tech that has the blade gap of the "pre-war" yet with "post-war" slots. Since February, but mostly the latter for the last 6 months

I plan to start with the Slim on 2 or 3, to get a feel for the razor with a blade gap similar to what I'm used to. But the real reason I got it is to find out if I like more aggressive razors or not. Quite excited, because I've been looking for a few months for one in this level of condition and price point.
I am looking for a slim adjustable too for the same reason.

I am looking for a slim adjustable too for the same reason.
Hope you have better luck than me.

I actually got mine today, it's in stunningly good condition.

But, while the numbers click, it doesn't actually adjust, so it's going back. I'm not even going to attempt to fix it, since the listing said the adjustments work.

The search continues.

Hope you have better luck than me.

I actually got mine today, it's in stunningly good condition.

But, while the numbers click, it doesn't actually adjust, so it's going back. I'm not even going to attempt to fix it, since the listing said the adjustments work.

The search continues.
Ooof.
I have yet to find one.
They are either too expensive for what they are or are in poor condition.
I may just try the cheap Razorock adjustable just to try one out.

Top Bottom