What's new

Best way to remove small "skin tags" at home? What works?

I read in the paper about liquid bandage as it dissolves the tags in a few weeks. I'm giving it a shot and I started today.

I would recommend seeing a physician, and having it done right. if that isnt an option, you can try very sharp scissors that have been sterilized, or the home wart freezing kits. I've removed them from the necks of family members before, while they sat at the kitchen table. I've used both methods, but my equipment was professional medical grade, and I have years of training and experience.

Last edited:
I used to go every 5 years and get them electrocuted,then about 20 years ago they started freezing them....today you can buy your own Dr. Scholls "wart" freeze,that works equally as well on skin tags..cheap,but effective !

Dermatologist if they are larger or more serious. For the tiny ones, some toenail clippers with flat blade. Hurts just a little but very effective - 5 seconds and done!

My dermatologist told me to "tie em off at the base..wait 5 days til they fall off"...or as he also stated "shlep back n forth and pay me to cut em or zap em off"...

If you don't want to use the Conan approach and go at your tender parts with a pair of scissors or nail clippers, 2-3 drops of tea tree oil applied to a cotton ball and then the tags twice a day will dry them out in about a week. You can get it any health food store, whole foods, and some grocery stores. It has a pleasant, camphorous scent and its completely painless. You're welcome. :biggrin1:

Not sure about the cutting off comments. I did that one and the sucker bled for hours. And hurt like crazy.

Just use the freeze-off wart chemicals sold in the drugstores. Even if you are impatient and want to just cut them off I'd suggest starting with the freeze-off product first. Let that work for a few days and cut them off will be much easier and effective IMO.

I always see that infomercial with the product you apply to rid yourself of them but cant remember name of it. Maybe "Tag-Away"? lol

I had one on my neck that was massive. I finally got fed up with it and cut it with a pair of scissors that I had soaking in alcohol. Bled like CRAZY (my neck, not the scissors). Once I got the bleeding to stop, I covered it with a band-aid for a day or so and it was done.

It hurt slightly when I cut it, but not bad. My wife had one that we tied off...THAT was disgusting.

As a physician, I feel compelled to mention the correlation between skin tags and diabetes and/or insulin resistant states. Though a single skin tag is not suggestive of a disease state, multiple skin tags on the neck and/or axilla (underarm) are commonly seen in diabetics. Of patients I see with the aforementioned distribution, about 25-30% will have diabetes or insulin resistance (often referred to as "pre-diabetes"). There is also a correlation with multiple skin tags and elevated lipid states and cardiovascular risk.

I'm certainly not trying to de-rail the purpose of the thread. I mention this only so that anyone reading this thread may become aware that the presence of multiple skin tags may be a cutaneous manifestation of a separate disease state, most of which have cardiovascular implications- and that while removing the tags may solve the cutaneous problem, it may be worth while have the aforementioned root causes investigated.

I've only had one before, but lemon juice or AC vinegar will remove it in a matter of days. You have to be REALLY careful though, because the stuff is BURNING it off. I would get a round bandaid that is only big enough to cover the spot itself with the pad, and use it to prevent it getting anywhere else. From what I've seen and heard, if you do it the RIGHT way, it leaves much less of a mark (maybe none) than any surgical methods do.

Then again, I ended up just cutting mine off and then disinfected it. No trace within a few days. Joe's right though. Pay attention if you get them a lot, because there may be a medical reason for it.

As a physician, I feel compelled to mention the correlation between skin tags and diabetes and/or insulin resistant states. Though a single skin tag is not suggestive of a disease state, multiple skin tags on the neck and/or axilla (underarm) are commonly seen in diabetics. Of patients I see with the aforementioned distribution, about 25-30% will have diabetes or insulin resistance (often referred to as "pre-diabetes"). There is also a correlation with multiple skin tags and elevated lipid states and cardiovascular risk.

I'm certainly not trying to de-rail the purpose of the thread. I mention this only so that anyone reading this thread may become aware that the presence of multiple skin tags may be a cutaneous manifestation of a separate disease state, most of which have cardiovascular implications- and that while removing the tags may solve the cutaneous problem, it may be worth while have the aforementioned root causes investigated.

My not-well-controlled diabetes 2 had been worsening. I noticed many very tiny skin tags develop around my neck. They were too small to clip with scissors or tie off, just a mass of them. I'm reigning in control now, but was really bothered by all these skin tags so asked one of my doctors. He suggested the underlying cause was my diabetes.

I came up with a marvellous way to remove the huge amount of skin tags. I used a sterile fabric shaver, one of those used to remove pilling off sweaters and such. Fabulous, and it's done the trick. I had lots of red dots and some bleeding, but they healed quickly as they were tiny. For larger ones I wouldn't do this.

Top Bottom