What's new

best tool for cutting king 1k

I did a search and didn't see a lot about cutting stones.

what tool would be best for cutting a chunk off of the 1k king?

hacksaw, mitre power saw, etc.??????

thanks for any input.

camo

Tile saw is of course best, but you can get carbide coated blades for a hack saw. If you already have a hack saw but not the blade, try it with whatever dull blade you have on it. I've never tried cutting a King this way, but I've been surprised at how well dull, coarse metal blades can work on some stones before. I suspect the swarf stays it the teeth and helps with the cut. Try it wet too. Pre soaking the King should help. If the metal blade is not pre dulled, it will be shortly!

Last edited:

duke762

Rose to the occasion
I'd try one of those hacksaw blades that are a cable embedded with tungsten carbide. Managed to saw up an aluminum oxide grinding wheel with a band saw with the blade on upside down. Worked like a charm.

I tried a “dull” blade on hacksaw on a chosera 1000. I stopped after a bit and only made a mess and a slight corner cut. I am gonna eventually take mine to the stone granite shop soon.

I think king sells or sold a 6k stone for cleaning/rubbing. Using 1K king as nagura is going to introduce 1000K king grit to whatever you are working on obviously, so only coarse work.

Find someone with a wet saw for cutting ceramic tiles as that will give you the cleanest cut. Other than that a diamond blade on a hand held grinder will work as well.

What's 'best' here is sorta subjective. Buying a $100 tile saw to cut a $20 stone might not seem like the 'best' idea to a lot of people.
Any time anyone cuts any stone with a power tool, catastrophic failure of the stone is a possibility. Even with a hand saw there are liabilities but the risk factor is much lower.
A carbide blade on a hacksaw is safer, and less $$. It adds a lot of time and effort to the equation.
With a King 1k that's not that big of a financial deal but if it is the only 1k in the house it's something to consider.
A plausible and perhaps better option is to get one of Naniwa's 'dressing stones' - said to be 600x, it's very close to a King 1k.
Neither make great 1k Nagura slurry though. It's very short lived, inefficient, not too effective; plus they need soaking, take forever to dry out, and they wear fast too.
Cutting off a piece of a Chosera 1k yields better results.

Legion

Staff member
Not to hijack the thread, but I have a very dished coticule that might want to be five slurry stones one day....

Top Bottom