What's new

Best time of year to stock forage fish

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I've been thinking about stocking my little pond with bluegill as forage fish for the bass. I've heard that spring and fall are both good. Any fisherpersons have any recommendation?

I need to see if the local bass shop has any bluegill stocker fish to drop in for bass food. I've seen where they have fingerling catfish for stocking but it's usually in the spring. I haven't caught/seen any catfish in the pond in quite awhile, but I'm afraid fingerling catfish would be eaten by the bass before they got big enough. I haven't caught a bluegill lately either. Bass are plentiful but I'd like to give them some forage fish.

I'll go drop a worm and bobber by the dock where the bluegill usually hang out later and see what happens.

Don't know, but have helped stock ponds in the spring, and never thought anything about why it was done in the spring and not other times of the year.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I don't know either, but suggest calling your local Division of Fish and Wildlife, I am sure they could offer insight.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Thanks, guys. I may just ask the bass shop when I take some reels in for service.

Top Bottom