What's new

Fishing Tips for Northern Transplant

Hey all--I was hoping to garner the wisdom of some members who have fished in the Northeast, especially for trout. I wanted to do some catch-n-release this weekend, but am ignorant of the area and some of the species.

I grew up in the Southeast fishing for bass, bream (bluegill) the occasional catfish and once in a blue moon, the accidental gar. Now we're in upstate NY and when we're near water I see some beautiful trout jumping. I've never caught one and don't know how much I need to change technique and gear and whatnot. I'll probably be in a river, but might make it to a lake.

Thanks in advance. If I catch something I'll try and post a photo. If, as usual, I snag my hat on a lure and send it flinging across the waters, I'll post a picture of my hat.

I used to fish trout but not in your aria. If your casting, I've had good luck with casting spinners on an 18 inch lead with a small dark swivel. I cast downstream past where I think the fish are and do a slow retrieve. The current helps the action so you can slow the retrieve down a bit. But your best bet is to find a good local bait and tackle shop and tell 'em what you've told us. Those guys will know the aria and the local food chain to help you get the best for whatever style of fishing you do.

Top Bottom