What's new

Best Razor for Fast AND Good Shave??

LtBrugman70 said:
Well, as a building design engineer, I have to be BBS and presentable 24/7. You never know when a client is going to need something, and if they're paying $1M for a change order and you're getting 15-30% of the final construction cost of the building in design fees, then you had better look sharp. It's partially the fault of society for associating a clean-shaved and well groomed man with professionalism, but that's just the way thingd are.

My biggest problem is that I like to wake up early and exercise for an hour or two before going to work, and I usually don't have time to shave after working out, so I would have to shave before working out, which means waking up at 5:45 instead of 6am. It's already hard enough to wake up at 6am... or I have to shave at night, which is okay, but I still don't have enough experience to get a shave really close at night that will last through the next day.

I know people will make arguments against such a hectic life, but I like being an engineer and I'm not going to just go work at a coffee house just because I need more time to shave. Some of us simply work in fields that DEMAND a serious time and energy commitment from us in order to stay financially viable.

You could make A LOT of money if you could create an electric wetshaving device that offered the speed of electric and the lubrication/low irritation of wetshaving lather! Ooooh.... that's a damn good idea!
While I understand your reasons, I think one needs to prepare to make some sacrifices to look presentable.

While I don't know anything from the construction world, I personally cannot believe it blindly that if people expect you to be available 24/7 that you need to be clean shaven and BBS 24/7. Presentable isn't only about shaving. Hell, I know alot of people who are presentable which don't even shave daily. While the way you look is partially important of your overal "image", there are much more contributing factors which make the whole "package" presentable. Being clean shaven is only a small part of it. It's the way you dress, talk, act, the look, behave and most of all: the way you do your thing and interact with your clients. It's the total package that counts and not only the way you look.

I also don't see the reason why you're not willing to take 10 or 15 minutes more extra time to properly shave yourself in the morning. If you're already doing one to two hour workouts on a daily basis and if you're currently already making yourself presentable to the outside world, then I wonder why change your habbits? There's absolutely no difference in shaving before or after the workout from a timing perspective. I would certainly choose to shave afterwards. A good shave can be had in even less than 20 minutes. Let's say that together with your workout and getting ready to go to work, you spend on average 2 to 2 hours and a half in the morning before you head of to work or a client. I can't believe that you can't fix an extra 15 minutes in there in order to have a good shave. Cut down 10 minutes on the workout and get up 10 minutes earlier and you have a nice relaxing 20 minutes time to properly shave. Develop technique in which you do 3 passes with or without touchups. If you have a good technique and have it all under control, you should easily be able to get a very good shave in 20 minutes.

Anyway, I'm not saying that I don't believe you, I'm just questioning your time management a bit and your definition of what is generally believed as being presentable. Being cleanly shaven is part of the overal package you present to your clients, but is far from the decisive aspect of the job. It's simply the professionalism and the way you interact with clients, both from a communicational and a body language perspective.

Of course YMMV and as already said: I don't know anything about communication and client relations in the construction sector but that's my view on things. :001_smile

moses said:
Not trying to be argumentative at all, btw. Just that it seemed that the question was whether anybody truly needed a BB SMOOTH shave, rather than just a nice looking presentable one.

Hit that nail right on the head! :biggrin: I think the difference between BBS and presentable are all noticed by the shaver. Personally, I still look like I have stubble, even with BBS, as I'm sure many other men do too.

If I'm in a hurry I just reduce the number of passes... one pass with my HD only takes two minutes or so and will leave me looking plenty presentable.

Top Bottom