What's new

Best razor for a newbie

My two cents is to get a vintage Gillette adjustable like a slim or a Fatboy. You can turn it to a level two or three for a non-aggressive shave or higher if and when you want. There are frequently a couple on the selling forum, and often, you can get one from ebay for a reasonable sum...it doesn't have to be a mint razor and you can often bid and get them for $25.

Best regards,

Jay

Merkur HD classic or vintage Gillette Superspeed. Wouldn't get an adjustable for your first DE(i didn't) as things like maintaing light pressure, proper angle, good prep and the grain of the beard and finding a blade that suits you are enough to worry about without adding another variable.

Thanks for all the advice. Sorry for not posting back sooner, I've been busy and out of town the past couple of weeks, but I just wanted to stop back and say thanks for all the advice!

It would be hard to beat the Merkur Progress.

Given that every face is different, no two blades are the same, and every blade changes after every shave, the infinite adjustability of the Progress and its reasonable price would appear to give it the advantage.

Top Bottom