What's new

Best razor for a newbie

Hello everyone,

I've been browsing around a bit and I am trying to find a good safety razor to start with. I don't shave often, actually I quite like my beard, but I have committed to shaving it off next month. Any suggestions? As I plan on most likely growing my beard back I am not going to have a collection of razors, so if there is a good one that has at least a few features so that I can continue to use it without buying another that would be my preference.

Thanks in advance!

Tim

I'm very pleased with my Merkur Classic. A lot of folks prefer the Hefty Classic also known as the HD. Both are very well made and are likely to last forever. I've been pleased with the service and pricing at Classicshaving.com, but they're available elsewhere.

You can certainly find vintage items--sometimes for a lot less--but you don't sound like you're interested in playing eBay or cleaning up thrift-store finds.

Good luck.

Actually that was more my plan. From what I've read it seems that the "general consensus" (please don't kill me for grouping everyone together) is that the vintage ones are far superior. I'm actually looking for one now and not planning on needing one until the end of May, so once I decide what I want I have some time to shop around. The ebay/antique store hunt can sometimes be quite fun, and being I live in an "Old Towne" area, there are a ton of antique shops near to me.

either of those would be excellent choices. I started out with the Classic a few months back and it is a great razor. I have since moved on to the slant, but I wouldn't recommend that to a beginner.

Actually that was more my plan. From what I've read it seems that the "general consensus" (please don't kill me for grouping everyone together) is that the vintage ones are far superior. I'm actually looking for one now and not planning on needing one until the end of May, so once I decide what I want I have some time to shop around. The ebay/antique store hunt can sometimes be quite fun, and being I live in an "Old Towne" area, there are a ton of antique shops near to me.

I don't think that the old Gillettes are any better than a new Merkur. My best and gentlest shaves come from a Merkur Progress. And I also have three Gillettes. It's definitelyy a case of finding what works for you. That may or may not be vintage.

I vote for a vintage Gillette. You say you live in an area with a lot of antique stores? You should be able to pick one up for less than $10.

If you don't like it, then you can shell out $30+ for a Merkur.

My $0.02

Awww... how cute... you still think you can avoid RAD :biggrin:

Any of the old Gillette's will do you more than adequately as a first razor. If you see a Fatboy or other adjustable while you're out at the antique stores definitely pick it up. Try a couple different razors and you'll quickly realize the style that works best for you and then you can hunt for a nice specimen of that.

Tim, Welcome to B&B :thumbup1:

if you are looking for an older used safety razor check out the b/s/t forum here stay away from ebay, the Gillette super speed among others shows up quite often and usually reasonable

good luck

Merkur progress

excellent razor, and imo the adjustability is a definite plus especially while honing DE technique.

find yourself a nice. vintage tech - mine was $4.

a boar brush for $10 and a tube of Florena / Proraso cream for $6 - 10 and you are good to go...

I went overboard on soaps, creams, etc... after 3 months of DE shaving, I can see where I went wrong, but its been a fun ride so far...

you can get GREAT shaves from a vintage razor and a good blade...

Without a doubt, a vintage Gillette. If you cant find a well cared for cheap one in the antique stores around you, let me know. I will send one your way. Better yet, if you don't want to wait or go looking, let me know. I'll still send one your way. Free too, of course. If you don't like it, send it back. If you do, and then RAD sets in and you don't use it anymore, find a newbie and send it his way. Thats called PIF (pay it forward). Someone hooks you up, then you hook someone up. One of many things that make this site great.

I've used various Super Speed razors, and a Slim adjustable. None of them is one iota better than a Feather Portable, IMO (a more aggressive Tech clone). If you aren't set on a TTO razor, this is what I'd suggest.

And the nicest thing about the Feather Portable, from a newbie's perspective, is that you don't need to worry about it's condition. It's no longer in production, but it's easy to find them new in box for less than $10. Pair a Feather Portable up with some Derby blades, and you've got a great shave at a great price. :biggrin:

I suggest the Progress. Dial from too gentle to too aggressive. Covers it all.

Hey, man, when did I get promoted to "injector inspector"?

I've used various Super Speed razors, and a Slim adjustable. None of them is one iota better than a Feather Portable, IMO (a more aggressive Tech clone). If you aren't set on a TTO razor, this is what I'd suggest.

And the nicest thing about the Feather Portable, from a newbie's perspective, is that you don't need to worry about it's condition. It's no longer in production, but it's easy to find them new in box for less than $10. Pair a Feather Portable up with some Derby blades, and you've got a great shave at a great price. :biggrin:

+10 :smile: Feather Portable is available from pauldog ... send him a private message

Top Bottom