What's new

Best Penhaligon's Scent

I love Castile and Limes. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Limes.

The problem with Limes is that it is so short lived (as are all citrus scents). But while you can smell it, it is simply amazing. Yum.

I agree, it's a great winter scent.

Everyone says it's supposed to be similar to or derivative of Hammam Bouquet, but I don't get that. The wood notes in Elixir actually remind me of Opus 1870, which I don't really like, but blended with spice notes that make it quite enjoyable.

People say that because that's what Penhaligon's will tell you: Elixir is Olivia Giacobetti's modern reinterpretation of Hammam Bouquet. But I'm with you... I understand the concept, but I'm not sure about how the execution came through. There's a wee bit of family resemblance, but it's on the order of third cousins twice removed rather than direct descendants.

I love Castile and Limes. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Limes.

The problem with Limes is that it is so short lived (as are all citrus scents). But while you can smell it, it is simply amazing. Yum.

Eh, I haven't ever figured out the logic behind paying $130 for Pen's Limes instead of $70 for Trumper's (or $10 for a bottle of lime EO and some perfumer's alcohol for that matter).

Just doesn't seem terribly different to me.

Eh, I haven't ever figured out the logic behind paying $130 for Pen's Limes instead of $70 for Trumper's (or $10 for a bottle of lime EO and some perfumer's alcohol for that matter).

Just doesn't seem terribly different to me.

Have you smelled Pen's Limes? It is amazing, but way, way, way overpriced. But if I were a zillionaire, I'd buy it.

Trumper smells great, but it also short lived. I have Taylors, which is also amazing and short lived, but it is affordable.

Have you smelled Pen's Limes? It is amazing, but way, way, way overpriced. But if I were a zillionaire, I'd buy it.

Trumper smells great, but it also short lived. I have Taylors, which is also amazing and short lived, but it is affordable.

I have, though admittedly not on a fresh nose or for a full wear. I sampled it in their shop in Edinburgh one of the times I went by while I was over there for a few months.

It seemed more or less similar to other EO based lime scents I've smelled. Nothing spectacular. I could be convinced otherwise, though-- I had been sniffing aggressively for a fair few minutes at that point.

amazing how much tastes differ, isn't it?

I like some of the Penhaligon's scents very much, but on the other hand I despise a few.

Tops for me are Limes, Castile, and Endymion. The Limes is heaven in a short burst. The Castile is incredibly elegant; very floral. Smells beautiful. Love it, love it, love it. The Endymion is a modern gourmand that has incredibly longevity. Girls dig it, and I think it smells pretty good, too.

On the other hand, Blenheim Bouquet smells a lot like Pine-Sol. I don't understand why others say they are put off by the so-called "citrus burst." I LOVE citrus. Problem is that it is barely discernable behind the overwhelming pine smell. Like stuffing 100 pine needles into each nostril. Worse yet is Opus, which reminds me of the breath of a wino. To me this stuff is truly foul. Vile. Hmm....running out of words strong enough to express how disgusting I find this scent.

All the Penhaligon's scents I have smelled (admittedly I haven't smelled all of them) are overpriced for what they are, with the possible exception of Castile. I can approximate the Limes and Endymion with other EDCs for a lot less cash. I haven't found anything that approximates Castile, so I think that one is worth the scratch.

I like some of the Penhaligon's scents very much, but on the other hand I despise a few.

Tops for me are Limes, Castile, and Endymion. The Limes is heaven in a short burst. The Castile is incredibly elegant; very floral. Smells beautiful. Love it, love it, love it. The Endymion is a modern gourmand that has incredibly longevity. Girls dig it, and I think it smells pretty good, too.

On the other hand, Blenheim Bouquet smells a lot like Pine-Sol. I don't understand why others say they are put off by the so-called "citrus burst." I LOVE citrus. Problem is that it is barely discernable behind the overwhelming pine smell. Like stuffing 100 pine needles into each nostril. Worse yet is Opus, which reminds me of the breath of a wino. To me this stuff is truly foul. Vile. Hmm....running out of words strong enough to express how disgusting I find this scent.

All the Penhaligon's scents I have smelled (admittedly I haven't smelled all of them) are overpriced for what they are, with the possible exception of Castile. I can approximate the Limes and Endymion with other EDCs for a lot less cash. I haven't found anything that approximates Castile, so I think that one is worth the scratch.

I agree with everything you said. BB didn't thrill me, but Limes and Castile do. I'll have to give Endymion a try.

People say that because that's what Penhaligon's will tell you: Elixir is Olivia Giacobetti's modern reinterpretation of Hammam Bouquet. But I'm with you... I understand the concept, but I'm not sure about how the execution came through. There's a wee bit of family resemblance, but it's on the order of third cousins twice removed rather than direct descendants.

Maybe I have become arrogant--and I realize when it comes to Olivia Giacobetti's creative process I am miles out of my league--but I think I get the modeern reinterpretation of HB angle. No they do not smell much a like at all. But I think there are sorts of a similar strange/way beyond the usual, highly exotic, somewhat rose but who knows what else, aspects to both. It is a modern reinterpretation more of the feel or sense of HB, that anything that actually resembles HB in scent.

Sort of like the way Montale "Aoud Lime" has no lime in it that I can detect, yet is has a "feel" of a lime-based scent somewhat.

I think OG is speaking her own language in a way, one too sophisticated for me to understand. But I get the sense of "what she is talking about"! A sense of why Elixir is related to or at least was the inspiration for HB!

It is amazing how tastes vary!

< I haven't found anything that approximates Castile, so I think that one is worth the scratch.>

I could take a shot at what scents to me to be rather similar overall to Castile--wich is not to say that they are better. But for the fun of it, how about if others around here took a shot at it. To me Castile is neroli and rose, and maybe some citrus. I like all of those notes!

Castile - Really like it. Reminscent of Acqua di Parma Colonia, but not quite as good. Strong neroli note.

I found Castile to be quite a bit more floral than Colonia. I like Colonia, but I wasn't too crazy about Castile. Maybe I'll give it anotehr try one of these days.

I found Castile to be quite a bit more floral than Colonia. I like Colonia, but I wasn't too crazy about Castile. Maybe I'll give it anotehr try one of these days.

Colonia's better no doubt IMO. I just felt they fell into the same general ballpark. I don't recall Castile having any citrus, which would definitely put the floral and neroli notes to the forefront.

Anyone has a Penghalion's half empty bottle that he is bored with? I have Thierry Mugler's Angel, 100ml, still 2/3's full... I really want to try a classic Penghalion, and I thought trying this way, without hurting my wallet, if possible :)

cheers,
Nenad

I can't say that I'm a fan of Pen's as a house. I do like English Fern, but I prefer Trumper's Wild Fern. I appreciate Sartorial although I wouldn't care to wear it with any regularity. That's about it for me.

Tastes differ, but so do descriptions....

Out of 20-30 fragrances from many houses I've sampled in my rookie year, BB is my favorite. I get citrus and pepper. And the pepper mix may be what I love about it. I'm looking for alternatives to BB because I don't want to spend that much on a bottle, but I'm saving the few drops left for special occasions.

Tastes differ, but so do descriptions....

Out of 20-30 fragrances from many houses I've sampled in my rookie year, BB is my favorite. I get citrus and pepper. And the pepper mix may be what I love about it. I'm looking for alternatives to BB because I don't want to spend that much on a bottle, but I'm saving the few drops left for special occasions.
I've loved BB since I was a teenager, but it is very pricey, I currently don't have a bottle, I have Wellington by Geo F Trumper, which is VERY similar and significantly cheaper. Also I am waiting for a bottle of Crown Perfumery's Town & Country (which is discontinued but can be found online for less than $30) which is supposed to also be VERY similar to BB and Wellington.

Pens have been more miss than hit for me. However, the hits are out of the ballpark!

Funny, I never thought I would enjoy a fougère, but I am totally smitten by Sartorial! I think I will need to revisit English Fern, because when I tried EF a couple of years ago I did not like it at all. Perhaps Sartorial has turned me around with respect to fougères.

Blenheim Bouquet is okay, but I get bored of it rather quickly.

Douro, Castile and Racquets smell entirely too dated, and were all scrubbers (couldn't get them off my skin fast enough!).

On me, Elixir smells like a urine-soaked alley (as do a few other frankincense-based frags, unfortunately).

Endymion seems like it should make the mark, but somehow I find it annoying.

Opus 1870, however, totally makes the mark for me. My favorite cedar scent so far.

I'm looking forward to trying Eau de Cologne, Eau de Verveine, Extract of Limes, Lavandula, Quercus, and Zizonia. Hammam Bouquet, not so much.

Top Bottom