What's new

Best New Safety Razors under $20

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Pearl Open Comb Head Only, (combine with bulldog handle + SLOC cap or other cap of your choice), $10.50:

How does this OC base work with the SLOC top cap?

RR SLOC , Baili BR171 or Dorco PL602 has my vote. If you can, get a used Gillette Tech that’s your absolute best bet.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
RR SLOC , Baili BR171 or Dorco PL602 has my vote. If you can, get a used Gillette Tech that’s your absolute best bet.
Hard to beat a Gillette Tech for shaving blindfolded. Love that razor for when I need a fast close shave.

How does this OC base work with the SLOC top cap?
It works really well if you like a more aggressive razor. If the standard SLOC is a 5/10, I'd say this is about a 7/10. It gives a very close shave without much roughness. A bit like the Fatip OC.

The standard SLOC is a pleasant daily driver, maybe just a bit too mild. It does align the blade very precisely and is very smooth, though.

The Pearl OC can be a bit rough and can have problems with blade alignment. It does shave very close.

By combining the two, you get more aggressiveness and at the same time eliminate the blade alignment issues. You get a bit less bite and smoother feel with the SLOC top cap.

There is a thread with some good comments and photos here: My Yaqi-Pearl - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/my-yaqi-pearl.543377/

Hard to beat a Gillette Tech for shaving blindfolded. Love that razor for when I need a fast close shave.
Very sound advice. I have several varieties of Tech, one in particular is a Gold Post War, and also its' Nickel twin - both appear to be unused, and both shave like new. Of some Pre Wars one is in respectable condition, and the other I just got a week or 2 ago - it looked like the one you'd throw out along with accumulated junk from a dead relative. It was pitted and the finish all but scraped off. I replated it, but couldn't hide all the abuse & neglect, but it still shaves like new.
If you just want a ¢HEAP razor for travel, or to leave at the GF's place, get one of these: parts interchange with some Techs and, blindfolded, you couldn't tell you weren't shaving with a real tech. I can get the same perfect 12 hour shave with one of these, as I can with my shinier vintage Techs.
Even at the ridiculously low price, it's still worth eventually spending a few bucks for a better handle if you want something with more weight:

For a new razor it's hard to beat the razorock SLOC at $16. High quality lifetime 316 stainless handle. The head is zamak but plated very well so it should last several years. Shaves very well.

Yaqi doc with brass handle was USD 11.25 delivered just moments ago on AliExpress. Recall it was earlier less that $10, and probably will be again during current sale. I have and like, mild.

Also, another yaqi there with brass handle $6 delivered that I also own. It's more aggressive than doc. It's good, but blade sometimes needed slight alignment which annoyed me.

A Tech would be my #1 choice as well. And you can still occasionally find them for 10 bucks or under without looking too hard. Probably the best bargain in shaving. Do Techs even wear out? I've got a couple that have obviously seen HARD use and are worn down to the brass in several places But they still work as good as any razor I own.

But the original poster did stipulate "new safety razors".

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

I certainly love my Gillette Techs and would recommend getting a Pre-war (late 1930s) through mid-1950s Tech.

If you are curious about the current Tech clones, here is some information on them:

Again, my recommendation is to get an original. They can still be had in good condition in the $20 - $30 range.

another vote for razorock SLOC and german 37.
heck, their HANDLES would be over 20 bucks anywhere else.
the SLOC is an easy choice for a daily shaver.

FarmerTan

Very sound advice. I have several varieties of Tech, one in particular is a Gold Post War, and also its' Nickel twin - both appear to be unused, and both shave like new. Of some Pre Wars one is in respectable condition, and the other I just got a week or 2 ago - it looked like the one you'd throw out along with accumulated junk from a dead relative. It was pitted and the finish all but scraped off. I replated it, but couldn't hide all the abuse & neglect, but it still shaves like new.
If you just want a ¢HEAP razor for travel, or to leave at the GF's place, get one of these: parts interchange with some Techs and, blindfolded, you couldn't tell you weren't shaving with a real tech. I can get the same perfect 12 hour shave with one of these, as I can with my shinier vintage Techs.
Even at the ridiculously low price, it's still worth eventually spending a few bucks for a better handle if you want something with more weight:
Hilarious! I think I bought 3 of those for $5 a few years back. I keep one packed in my wife's hotel room bag for road traveling. I use the handle from one for my Razorock German 37 Slant or whatever it is called, because the original handle just hates to thread on to the head easily.

And they do shave embarrassingly good, lol.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It looks like there is a good jump in quality even between $10 and $15. Tonight, I'll start another thread for the next bracket.

It seems like any of the suggestions could be a person's only razor assuming it will cut their beard.

FarmerTan

Thanks for all the suggestions. It looks like there is a good jump in quality even between $10 and $15. Tonight, I'll start another thread for the next bracket.

It seems like any of the suggestions could be a person's only razor assuming it will cut their beard.
You obviously know the guys on here that are more flush than me will turn up their noses at Zamak heads, and I've had threading issues with my $20 Razorock Slant, but it shaves awesome.

That's incredible. For 2 bucks how can you go wrong.

You obviously know the guys on here that are more flush than me will turn up their noses at Zamak heads, and I've had threading issues with my $20 Razorock Slant, but it shaves awesome.

I don't worry about Zamak. Besides, my Van Der Hagen has a brass head. A person shouldn't expect a $20 razor to last 50 years like the $1.95 Gillettes.

The most interesting find is AliExpress. The prices are unbelievably cheap. Next time I get a fitness watch, I'll look there.

Top Bottom