What's new

Best New Safety Razors under $20

Do you have any outstanding razors that you can purchase new for less than $20? Please link to a source if possible. Only post a razor if you own it.

1. Van Der Hagen 85 mm ($11.99)
I've used this razor 296 times in the last year. The razor quality is great as far as I can tell. It's chrome-plated bronze. I haven't had any problems with the twist-to-open (tto) mechanism if I tighten it the last quarter turn. Those who hold the razor by the end may notice a tendency for the doors to open.

The razor shaves better if riding the top cap.

I use Astra SP and Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades. I consider these equals. Currently, I'm getting 30 high-quality shaves per blade. The number keeps going up as I get more experience.

About every 2 weeks, I soak the razor in dish detergent and rinse it clean.

2. Manion M5 Adjustable (Futur Clone) $12.99
I bought this as a spare for the Sabbatical. It gives a great shave for me when adjusted to 2.5. The only problem area is under the nose. Once I figured out how to get that spot, it's not a problem.

Construction is OK. The adjustment sticks if I go a few days without using the razor.

If this was my only razor, I'd probably like it.

I recently bought from West Coast Shaving two head assemblies (open comb and closed comb) and two handles for about $40 total for all the pieces. The handles are really heavy and both razors shave very well. You can use the handles on either head assembly and I've also used the handles on my Merkur 15C. They are fairly new, so I don't know how durable they will be, but I'm very pleased so far.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Fattip Piccolo OC ($19.60)
RazoRock SLOC ($16.99)

Both excellent razors for less than $20

I also like the RazoRock SLOC. I have other razors that cost more but the SLOC is the one I use most of the time.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
FaTip Piccolo OC $20
RazoRock SLOC $17
RazoRock Teck II $10
RazoRock DE-1 $8
Global Shave Club Sumatra $10
Global Shave Club Black Tiger $8

There's a Yaqi version of the SLOC and Baili versions of the RazoRock Teck II, RazoRock DE-1 and Global Shave Club Sumatra for a couple of bucks cheaper than the prices I listed.

I've owned the FaTip and the RR SLOC for some time. Bought the rest of these razors for the 'Tech Clone Wars' thread. I have shaved with all of them.

My favorites are the FaTip Piccolo and RR SLOC followed by the GSC Black Tiger and the RR DE-1.

One thing's for sure, they'll all get the job done.

Just my opinion and YMMV.

My current favorite of the under $20 is the Razorock old type, and I like it better than what used to be my favorite, the SLOC.
I will probably be purchasing a Schone soon, but not sure yet. It's at $21 on Amazon, so a little more than you are asking about.
And on my next razorock purchase I'll be adding a DE1 to the cart just to try.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My current favorite of the under $20 is the Razorock old type, and I like it better than what used to be my favorite, the SLOC.
I will probably be purchasing a Schone soon, but not sure yet. It's at $21 on Amazon, so a little more than you are asking about.
And on my next razorock purchase I'll be adding a DE1 to the cart just to try.
Forgot about the RR Old Type. The head is $8. Grab a blue Maggard MR11 on sale for $10 and you've got a really nice razor for under $20.

No outstanding NEW razors for under 20 USD. I bought a Baili Razor like the one in this photo for around 5 USD. It is just ok but not in my regular rotation.
BailiRazor.JPG

Razorock German 37 w/stainless steel bulldog handle,$19.99:

Razorock Old Type, Head Only (combine with bulldog handle), $7.95:

Yaqi Double Open Comb Head Only, aka SLOC (combine with bulldog handle), $4.99 w/free shipping:

Pearl Open Comb Head Only, (combine with bulldog handle + SLOC cap or other cap of your choice), $10.50:

For a new razor it's hard to beat the razorock SLOC at $16. High quality lifetime 316 stainless handle. The head is zamak but plated very well so it should last several years. Shaves very well.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
For a new razor it's hard to beat the razorock SLOC at $16. High quality lifetime 316 stainless handle. The head is zamak but plated very well so it should last several years. Shaves very well.
+1 and the Razorock Mission head is a excellent shaver also.

Top Bottom