What's new

Best Modern GEM vs. Vintage Gem

I have my first GEM coming this week (Minute Man). What is the best modern GEM and if you also own a vintage GEM how does it compare to the modern GEM that you believe is best?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have my first GEM coming this week (Minute Man). What is the best modern GEM and if you also own a vintage GEM how does it compare to the modern GEM that you believe is best?
The minute man wall set razor can be at times aggressive if you get the high curved cap. GEM made some variants(Supreme & Triumph models) of the standard 1912 so if you find it a little aggressive you might have one of these models. Here is a minute man from a wall hanging set that I took a caption of months ago when talking to some others about this unique razor.
Gem 'Minute Man' Model Shaving Set changed.jpg

I have lots of vintage Gem razors & no new modern models yet to compare with. The Gem 1912 razor is a mid range razor IMO.
Some information for you because a lot of used razors do not have manuals, it could take 2 or 3 attempts before you dial it in.
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg Final Gem review Jan21-2019 (2).jpg
Have some great shaves!

I fit modern handles on my 1912s using a 2BA thread to make the link. So that's kind of half way between vintage and modern. Certainly improves balance and handling.

If you're using GEM blades - and this means Personna PTFE - you absolutely need a MMOC. That's the gold standard.

Top Bottom