What's new

Best Modern Day Razor?

I still use a Mach 3 and a Trac II regularly, at least as often as I use my Tech. Nothing wrong with the shaves they give me as long as I use a brush with a good soap or cream. Good prep and good technique should give you a good shave regardless of what razor you use.

I used a Trac II for years. I may even have a couple of handles around here somewhere. It would get my vote as the best cartridge razor, but thats not much of an honor.

Of course I use a DE but there are some days when I really don't have time but need a quick shave. I usually use an electric on these days but it really doesn't work on my face, so I'm thinking I should get a cartridge razor (not a Fusion, I have one and dislike it, and no disposables either)

thanks

The only solution I found is just to get up early enough to shave the "proper way." If I am in a hurry, I like to use a brushless cream. Barbasol is my favorite, but there are many out there. Not quite the thrill of using a badger brush, but the creams are very efficacious.

I have used Trac II from 1971 until yesterday, when I went back to DE. Years ago, I tried a Sensor, which in addition to the swivel head of the Atra, had springy blades. The feeling of the razor taking control away from me with the swivel and saggy blades was terrible and I went back to the Trac II. Blades are still available for it everywhere, and I pretty much standardized on the Personnas, but occasionally picked up Gillettes.

Even though it has the non-swiveling head and rigid blade of the DE, a Trac II is still no substitute. It is much lighter, requiring you to develop the bad habit of using pressure, and you have to rinse it twice as often, rather than spin it around. I'm glad to be back to DEs, but if I had to travel where TSA can seize stuff, I'd carry BIC disposables, with VDH soap and brush.

IMHO, of course.

I liked the Trac II, I really like the Sensor, couldn't stand the Bic disposables. Haven't tried anything more recent than the Sensor other than cheap disposables which do a perfectly adequate job.

I really like the Sensor Excel. The Excel blades float so they don't nick as easily over bumps. And the cartridges aren't stupid expensive like newer ones. Only two blades so not too much irritation. Don't try and go ATG though. One WTG pass will get you smooth enough. A second XTG can be playing with fire. ATG is going to make a mess of your neck.

I am really enjoying my return to DE shaving, but I get a shave more quickly and with less chance of nicks when I use either a Mach 3 or a Fusion or a 6 blade Dorco. It's not as pleasurable but there's a reason that many people switched to cartridges. I go against the preferences here at B&B in that I do believe for the majority of people, each major development at Gillette has mostly been an improvement, when you take into account both ease of shaving and convenience, going back from stainless steel blades to the Trac II to the Atra the Sensor and then Mach 3 and then Fusion.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
You might consider a Gillette Guard single blade cartridge razor available at WCS under "other razors". VERY inexpensive and effective for a quick nick free shave; I got one for my son and tried it. Originally marketed in India, Gillette does not distribute them in the U. S. so WCS imports them from India and has them in stock.

Last edited:
A couple of months before i started de shaving, my girlfriend gave me a Hydro Silk, a razor for women but i dont care - thats the best cart razor i have tried and i have tried them all since the sensor excel... but if that matters to you, go with the hydro 5, also a very good razor...

Prior to switching to de, I used the shick hydro 5. As the previous poster stated, it is the best cart I have ever used in my 30 years of shaving. I use it with barbasol aloe cream when pressed for time (very rarely:001_smile), gives me bbs with no nicks or irritation.

Prior to DE, I was a loyal Sensor user. Every day was WTG and XTG and I was pretty satisfied. I still travel with my Sensor, but only because I haven't figured out how to make DE work on the road. I've read that blades are a no-no in the carry on and I refuse to check luggage.

Top Bottom