What's new

Best High End Straight Razors?

I say don’t limit yourself only to modern razors, and get a sweet 1st or 2nd Generation Filarmonica 14…Doble Temple, Sub Cero, Novodur, EPBD…they are all amazing top tier razors!

Vr

Matt
I heard the 14-2.0 from Koraat is a replica of this razor is that true?

I heard the 14-2.0 from Koraat is a replica of this razor is that true?
The Koraat 14 is a very nice razor, of that there is no doubt!

It is not a replica of the Filarmonica 14 razors…but more of a sweet modern razor associating itself with the famous 14s of old…trying to draw a lineage to sell razors.

I have owned, honed, and used a Koraat 14, and many Filarmonica 14s…I prefer the 1st and 2nd Generation Filarmonica 14 razors.

They are a little bigger, have a longer tang, the Filarmonica metal/edges get on with my face a little bit better, and I think that vintage Filarmonicas are slightly more classy.

The translucent scales on the Koraat 14, and their fit and finish are pretty great as well! You couldn’t go wrong with either, but in my mind the edge goes to Filarmonica 14s, Kron Vest 14s, Guillermo Hoppe 14s, etc.

Vr

Matt

Last edited:
Lots of great custom makers out there. Gabor Buddel in Germany makes some absolute gems. Brian Brown is great to work with. Butch Harner makes fantastic straights. Charlie Lewis can be a bit out there with his designs but they all shave great. Bill Ellis is another one. The engraving he does on his custom straights is amazing. Max Sprecher razors are amazing. Tim Zowada damascus razors are stunning. Then you've got Nate Zowada, Jerry Stark, Joe Edson, Robert Williams, Mastro Livi, Drew Dick to name a few more.

Lots of great custom makers out there. Gabor Buddel in Germany makes some absolute gems. Brian Brown is great to work with. Butch Harner makes fantastic straights. Charlie Lewis can be a bit out there with his designs but they all shave great. Bill Ellis is another one. The engraving he does on his custom straights is amazing. Max Sprecher razors are amazing. Tim Zowada damascus razors are stunning. Then you've got Nate Zowada, Jerry Stark, Joe Edson, Robert Williams, Mastro Livi, Drew Dick to name a few more.
I second John's motion regarding Max. Not to take anything away from the others, but Max makes a point of taking his time to produce exquisite work. Time and care comes at a cost premium. It's only worth the money if cost is a secondary consideration. Otherwise, any of the razors/makers listed above. The search is half the fun. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Hey All!

Would love some recommendations on some great modern high end straight razors, I want to know the best of the best in current production, thank you!
I focus on Boker, TI and Ralf Aust, in the 6/8 and 7/8 widths. The Bokers and TIs need a run on the Ozuku Asagi to get the factory edge where it should be. The Ralf Austs have been good to go as delivered. FWIW I also collect and restore vintage Bokers and the Ralf Austs while less expensive than some are very competitive when it comes to quality and workmanship IMHO.

F

firebox

Take a look at Max Spretcher's work. Excellent quality and style. Pricey but worth it.

There is a small town called Eskilstuna...
There doesn't seem to be new razors from Eskilstuna, but the razors produced there in the past are terrific quality. I started with an Ericsson and Björklund, but now have a couple of EA Bergs and a number of Heljestrands. I had bid on a few others which rapidly went way beyond my price range. A few of mine look to be seldom, if ever used.

There doesn't seem to be new razors from Eskilstuna, but the razors produced there in the past are terrific quality. I started with an Ericsson and Björklund, but now have a couple of EA Bergs and a number of Heljestrands. I had bid on a few others which rapidly went way beyond my price range. A few of mine look to be seldom, if ever used.
Björklund&Eriksson razors are quite rare. They were two craftsmen that left Heljestrand in the early fifties to set up their own workshop making and selling Heljestrand clones. They only were in business for a few years.
Edit: The razors they made are top notch.

Last edited:
If you want an artisan who works in a traditional vein, but also a unique blank that no one else has:
Ertan Suër, Rasoir Sabre France, 6/8 Campiono

Order direct from the RSF French website, affordable, takes PayPal, you may have to wait for him to have stock. He also does fantastic razors from Solingen blanks.

An interesting question with a lot of answers, all valid IMO.

What are you looking for in a high- end razor? An excellent shaver, a display piece? All of the above?

I have a few razors I consider beautiful and very interesting though none of them are my favorite shaving razors. I personally prefer a light razor, full hollow or even thinner on the grind. A Red Injun 101 is probably my favorite razor because it is thin, very well hollow ground, reasonably wide but not overly so and all the examples I have seen are excellent grinds with straight spines and having an edge in-line with those spines. They hone well and easily, are easy to handle given jimps top and bottom, are light razors which I prefer and are wonderful shavers IMO and IME.

As to 'high end' razors I always felt Thiers Issard were the front runner of razors still being made..... right up until I bought one. An inexpensive T.I. for sure but it has a spine with a large wallow in it (fat in the middle) and the edge is short on both the heel and toe. It did hone very well but it took some rough work on a coarse stone followed by rolling 'X' strokes to reach both the heel and toe. That said, I still think T.I. razors can be beautiful and they have that wonderful, high- carbon steel. I believe the next T.I. I buy will be a Spartacus blank (not necessarily a Spartacus but a razor made from that blank), with a high polish and a sharp toe and heel allowing it to get into small spaces (I have a beard and shave all the way around it). Covered with T.I. bone scales, I find these razors truly beautiful although a bit heavy for the very best shave.

Not to fine fault with the plethora of custom and semi- custom razors on the market but mostly I find them heavy, a bit on the extreme shape side and frankly somewhat odd to be great shaving razors. Again, just my opinion but often it seems like the opposite of the right tool for the right job- kinda' like carving a pumpkin with a broad sword.... it will work but is not the best tool for the task. All in my personal opinion of course and not meaning to disrespect those who prefer a heavier razor or heavier grind. This is not a contest and there are no winners and losers, merely people gravitation toward whatever they like.

As has already been mentioned, there are excellent choices from the steadfast Solingen manufacturers as well as other sources available depending on your tastes and wants. Right at this moment, I would probably choose a Dovo 25 as a wonderful shaver and simply re-scale it to make it more attractive as well as a bit more sleek (Dovo seems to be using firewood splits for scales these days).

You can choose vintage restored or vintage rebuilt, new razors from any number of manufacturers as well as the custom suppliers. It really is a great time as the availability of razors and custom work is really very broad and readily available to us mere mortals.

My only real suggestion would be to choose what you want rather than what is popular or highly praised. The majority of razors will shave you well. You preferences will determine what are excellent or great razors for you. This is a great time to reject peer pressure and 'common knowledge' and choose what works best for you. And with just a touch of effort, you can absolutely add some beauty and elegance to the type of basic razor you like best.

Best of luck- it is an interesting and often rewarding journey!

Hey All!

Would love some recommendations on some great modern high end straight razors, I want to know the best of the best in current production, thank you!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Ralf Aust dressed in natural horn scales gets my vote. I am not into elaborate blade decoration. It is also a great shaver.

IMG_20211102_124955.jpg
If you want elaborate decoration, Koraat SR are pieces of jewelry. I haven't shaved with one so cannot comment on their shaving quality.

Ralf Aust dressed in natural horn scales gets my vote. I am not into elaborate blade decoration. It is also a great shaver.

If you want elaborate decoration, Koraat SR are pieces of jewelry. I haven't shaved with one so cannot comment on their shaving quality.
I also like simple razors. Ralf Aust makes grate razors. I have a budget 5/8 version, with simple plastic scales. I am going to make new scales for it. A similar Dovo would not be worth the effort for me. It takes a really good edge easy. The grind is also good.

Top Bottom