What's new

Best Gillette Rocket?

Is it against TOS to post a link to another shaving forum? I found a 14 year old post that explains it very well. It's also where the "bucket of razors" story originated. 2 mysteries answered in one search.
Not certain, but I think it may be frowned upon

Sorry if i missed it, but how do you tell a HD Rocket compared to others?

Trying to find one of these without having to spend an arm ad a leg worth.

Last edited:
Flare Tip Blue.

Hard to find, from what I've been told.

View attachment 1526836

Yep - those Blue tip Rockets are scarcer than the more sought after Red Tip Rockets .. it's a masculine thing; the blue tips generally being seen as for a woman to do her legs - whilst Red Tip is for the testosterone overloaded males to dry shave with🤣

Best Rocket? I love the HDs .. silky smooth shave and really quite efficient too. Add to that easy to find at a cheap price. I prefer the earlier Pat Pending versions because the plating is typically better wearing .. the later ones with serial number are typically shinier on the doors but often get plate loss on underside.

The Aristocrats can be Rockets too .. but we regard them in category of their own.
But the Aristocract Jr is basically just a Rocket .. and whilst shave almost identical, it is better weighted than the others I feel.

Yep - those Blue tip Rockets are scarcer than the more sought after Red Tip Rockets .. it's a masculine thing; the blue tips generally being seen as for a woman to do her legs - whilst Red Tip is for the testosterone overloaded males to dry shave with🤣
Dude. I was happy to find a blue tip in the catchall drawer and then you went and blew the mojo.

Oh, re. Rockets: Google this: 3 gallon tin of Gillette’s

I googled it. Thanks. That help eplain enough that now i will know when i buy that im buyjng the real thing.

Easy to find? Maybe, but the price people are wanting for them is just not right.

Your explanation cleared up that up. Thanks! I've been wondering how the finish on mine could be so uniformly faded, especially the knurled handle. I was sure it wasn't from wear, but it never occurred to me that anyone would use a "Wash" razor finish.
I believe this razor to either be unused or slightly used. This is my second one. The first one I had was used and the difference btwn this one and that was like night and day. There was obvious plating loss on the safety bar and even the handle. To answer your question yes I guess the plating is "subtle" compared to let's say a Gold Aristocrat or better yet the Gold Rocket. That plating is top notch 24K and shines like the devil. This one technically has a Gold finish but it lacks the luster of the upper crust razors. Bottom line it's a cheaper finish. I only used this one once just to be able to lay claim. I suspect within only a month or two of daily use the plating loss would begin. Here is a "Goodwill" with the same type "Gold wash" finish. As you know were free with the purchase of 10 razor blades so you know they only got a cursory dip. This Goodwill was NOS when I got it and still retains a semi bright quality (and I only used this one once too). Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_4989.JPG
    IMG_4989.JPG
    745.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4995.JPG
    IMG_4995.JPG
    881.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5027.JPG
    IMG_5027.JPG
    377.3 KB · Views: 3
Is this a Rocket?

View attachment 1526672View attachment 1526673

It looks like the model on the far left in your picture of 7 different models (pointy endcaps), which does NOT have the rhodium handle. Am I right?

Was this model also sold in the white box as depicted in your first photo, or a different box.

Any comments, opinions or further information about this particular model?
(Good morning sorry for the late reply was out of town. I'm not and expert and open to any new info but it's my story and I'm sticking with it.) Technically this is a "Rocket" (Believed it is Yankee mis-named is our definition) but that's another story. The bottom line any Gillette razor with the "Gap" in the handle is commonly termed a "Rocket". This looks to me like a Nickel plated Rocket vs the Rhodium model. Up close the handle is different from the Rhodium models and is just slightly fatter and has east and west "rings" going up the handle while the Rhodium model just has a slimmer north and south straight pattern - w/no rings. (Note the Gold Flair tip model below in Pic 3 it has the same handle design). Since your razor has pointed caps it's Brit unlike the US model w/flat end caps (see pic 3 below razor #7). Regarding the razor case it's unlikely it came in the white case as with the model #80 but rather the case shown below (see pic 1) which is a 1959 model. However. I can't say a Nickel Rocket some where in the universe never came from Gillette in a White (model #80) case because they were notorious for using up all the old inventory and many times different razor parts, models, and cases cross pollinated on the factory assembly line and/or inroute to retail shelves. The second pic below is the only razor I know of (but do not forget above info) that is a bonafide "Rocket" and is shown in magazine ads, with razor case literature and embossed on the razor case itself. This particular model is Canadian made. This model is very similar in design to the first US (Gen #1) "Super Speed". Also Pic 3 below is a good comparison of Nickel and Rhodium razor handles. LR compare razor 1, 4 and 6 (and US model 7). Cheers
1959Rocket.jpg
IMG_5747.JPG
IMG_3786 (1).JPG

Last edited:
Flare Tip Blue.

View attachment 1526836

Flare Tip Blue.

View attachment 1526836

Yes the Brit Blue Rocket is hard to find. Supposedly it (and the British Blue Tip Super Speed) were designed for woman (milder) but never really caught on in Europe as I think they were ahead of there time as woman back then generally (routinely) did not shave their legs. I can attest to this (on a small scale) as I was stationed (Army) in W Germany in the 70's plus I had a German girl friend. Still a great smooth shaver for the guys too. Pic below is a Brit Blue Tip Super Speed with customary pointed end caps. Blue Tips are great with an Astra or Kai (YMMV). Like the Rocket a tough razor to find.

IMG_3634.JPG
+

Last edited:
I know this is about "Rockets" but the British also made 3 Super Speed models - close cousins. A Blue, Red and Regular Tip model. They are somewhat uncommon and hard to find but look idential to the US Flair Tip Super Speed's (verison 2) except they have the customary pointed end caps. They also come in the exact looking cases used for the US models except on the back of the case it's notated "Made in England".
3 Brit Super Speed.jpg
3.jpg

Last edited:
A few more Rockets and I love them all. Left to Right:
Canadian Rocket 2.24 oz; 1949 Gold Rocket 2.23 oz; 1958 Parat 2.18 oz; 1951 Anodized (Aluminum) Rocket 1.04 oz; 1953/54 HD500 (Nickel plated model not Aluminum) 2.51 oz. All razors have the traditional British pointed end cap and "Gap" above the TTO.
uu.jpg
xx.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The only Rocket I have is a late 50s Rocket HD. It is an amazing razor and has whetted my appetite for more British Gillettes (uh-oh).

View attachment 1528302View attachment 1528303
You had me looking for a Rocket HD (500). I found several but since I have 3 modern and 2 Vintage British Gillettes waiting for me to get with the program, I decided to cool it a bit.

I'm looking forward to this experiment....... DE shaving. As I've mentioned many times, I love AC single edge shaving. I'm not quite sure why I even ventured into DE shaving. Something different, I suppose. I hope I enjoy all the new razors I have in the queue. ;)

I do have a question though. I shaved with a TTO Gillette when I was in HS (one of my mother's razors. I also used her Schick injector but had not to pleasant shaves with it). I don't remember much about it. I left for Indonesia right after graduation. I grew a beard over there and when I got back, I started using the various Gillette cartridge razors until I started wet shaving 7 months ago now.

Finally, the question. All the rest of my razors have pretty thin tops. Is it more difficult to shave with a TTO because the head is thicker?

You had me looking for a Rocket HD (500). I found several but since I have 3 modern and 2 Vintage British Gillettes waiting for me to get with the program, I decided to cool it a bit.

I'm looking forward to this experiment....... DE shaving. As I've mentioned many times, I love AC single edge shaving. I'm not quite sure why I even ventured into DE shaving. Something different, I suppose. I hope I enjoy all the new razors I have in the queue. ;)

I do have a question though. I shaved with a TTO Gillette when I was in HS (one of my mother's razors. I also used her Schick injector but had not to pleasant shaves with it). I don't remember much about it. I left for Indonesia right after graduation. I grew a beard over there and when I got back, I started using the various Gillette cartridge razors until I started wet shaving 7 months ago now.

Finally, the question. All the rest of my razors have pretty thin tops. Is it more difficult to shave with a TTO because the head is thicker?
I started with DE shaving six months ago and have since experimented with various SE shaves using GEM blades and injectors. I've never used an AC razor, but they look interesting. Of all these forms of wet shaving, the best shaves I've gotten were either GEM or DE shaves. My Rocket HD just may have given my best DE shave ever. The GEMs with the closed comb guards work best for me.

Injectors work consistently well for me though, so I like to use them when I need a comfortable easy shave.

As for your specific question, I don't find the chunkier heads of a TTO to be any problem. But, they do require more patience and care under my nose. Of all the TTOs, the Slim and the later, post-1964 Super Speeds have the lowest profile heads. But they all work well, even the Fatboy which has the largest head.

All this is just my two cents.

Yes. UK eBay they come up quite regularly. I guess that's a nuisance if buying from US .. the postage is often more than the razor.

The TTO styles do have a chunkier head than the slimmer looking 3 piece style, but they are designed so well I really don't feel they limit doing under the nose than any typical 3 piece .. you may need to adapt a different technique at most.

The smoothness of the Rocket HD belies their efficiency. No blade feel, and they need little preparation or even technique .. but give a great shave every time. Gillette mastered the DE razor by this point.

What we have had with the increasing popularity of wet shaving is kind of a reset .. newcomers feel the blade and think that means a closer shave; get informed a particular model is aggressive and feel it gives some kind of masculinity to a grooming process.
But move away from that and once you try a Rocket HD you'll know you found something close to perfect.

Top Bottom