What's new

Best Gillette Rocket?

I've been reading threads here and on another shaving site about the Rocket, but I haven't found any discussion regarding the best of the series. For those of you have have used the Rockets, it there a "pinnacle" model that stands above the rest? If you could only have one Rocket, which would be THE one to have?

Thanks!

The best Rocket is every Rocket! I love them all and to me they pretty much shave more or less the same.

My shaving favorites are the #58 (which some call a Rocket) and the standard 1949 Rocket.
Best grip belongs to the standard Flare Tip Rocket.

I have a Flare Tip as part of my regular rotation and use a 4th gen Aristocrat very often (which has the same head).

There are plenty of Rocket models from the Blue, Flare and Red tips to the Parat and HD. From what I know, both the British and the US Blue, Flare and Red tips shave identical, but not everyone agrees. Same goes for the HD and the Parat. The only way to find out which one is the best of the bunch is to buy them all and use them for yourself.

I luv them all but for pure aesthetics the Gold Flair Tip tops my list.
GFT.jpg

I've been reading threads here and on another shaving site about the Rocket, but I haven't found any discussion regarding the best of the series. For those of you have have used the Rockets, it there a "pinnacle" model that stands above the rest? If you could only have one Rocket, which would be THE one to have?

Thanks!
Rocket HD 77/88 and the Aristocrat are probably my favourites. Having said that, I quite enjoyed the LD Rocket as well - the aluminium really made it sing. The HD/Aristocrat have better blade exposure and weight.

I ended up collecting most of the Rocket models except for the Blue Tip and one other. I tend to prefer heaver razors. My two favorite Rockets are the HD500 and the Red Tip.

Not to hijack this thread, as my question may answer something the OP might want to know. Of all the picures of the Gold Rocket(not Flaretip), including mine, the gold plating looks pretty subtle. Is that the way they originally looked?

Last edited:
I ended up collecting most of the Rocket models except for the Blue Tip and one other. I tend to prefer heaver razors. My two favorite Rockets are the HD500 and the Red Tip.

Not to hijack this thread, as my question may answer something the OP might want to know. Of all the picures of the Gold Rocket(not Flaretip), including mine, the gold plating looks pretty subtle. Is that the way they originally looked?
The Rocket I believe you mention is a 1948-53 model that has a "Gold Wash" finish instead of the more expensive Gold plating. Gold wash is a less expensive dipped and electroplated process resulting in a lower grade thin finish that comes off with even the lightest regular of use. This model is really hard to find w/out some loss of finish. Another razor with a Gold wash finish is the Goodwill.
IMG_2931.JPG

The Rocket I believe you mention is a 1948-53 model that has a "Gold Wash" finish instead of the more expensive Gold plating. Gold wash is a less expensive dipped and electroplated process resulting in a lower grade thin finish that comes off with even the lightest regular of use. This model is really hard to find w/out some loss of finish. Another razor with a Gold wash finish is the Goodwill.

Your explanation cleared up that up. Thanks! I've been wondering how the finish on mine could be so uniformly faded, especially the knurled handle. I was sure it wasn't from wear, but it never occurred to me that anyone would use a "Wash" razor finish.

The Rocket I believe you mention is a 1948-53 model that has a "Gold Wash" finish instead of the more expensive Gold plating. Gold wash is a less expensive dipped and electroplated process resulting in a lower grade thin finish that comes off with even the lightest regular of use. This model is really hard to find w/out some loss of finish. Another razor with a Gold wash finish is the Goodwill. View attachment 1461077

Question about my Rocket style razor, hope someone can help out. Kinda looks like a Giromatic head attached to a TV style handle that has a Herringbone knurling pattern unlike any other Rocket or Flaretip razor I own. Maybe a limited edition of some sort, would be my guess. Any info out there in the universe? Never seen another like it anywhere.

Attachments

• Rocket 009.JPG
    Rocket 009.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
  • Rocket 006.JPG
    Rocket 006.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
  • Rocket 010.JPG
    Rocket 010.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 45
Question about my Rocket style razor, hope someone can help out. Kinda looks like a Giromatic head attached to a TV style handle that has a Herringbone knurling pattern unlike any other Rocket or Flaretip razor I own. Maybe a limited edition of some sort, would be my guess. Any info out there in the universe? Never seen another like it anywhere
It's a Flair Tip Rocket Rhodium handle and Nickle plated model (I have two). The exact razor sold in the mid 50's in 2 seperate Gillette sets. The set #80 and the "Travelers Deluxe" set. The handle is very shiny. They are very uncommon. As far as I know there are only 7 Flair Tip Rockets which include the two Rhodium handle models.
BritSet80.jpg

IMG_3249-COLLAGE.jpg
IMG_3779.JPG
TravellersSet.jpg
61page2.jpg

Last edited:
I can't give my opinion on which one is the best since I've only owned one. I have a Rocket HD and it's a great shaving razor.
Same here, except that I own a Parat.🙂

Its what really turned me onto the Brit Gillettes. IMO/IME, they are more efficient, heavier, with tighter tolerances. The only US ones I still have(and will not be selling) are my father's birth year '34 Aristocrat and my 195.

The Rocket I believe you mention is a 1948-53 model that has a "Gold Wash" finish instead of the more expensive Gold plating. Gold wash is a less expensive dipped and electroplated process resulting in a lower grade thin finish that comes off with even the lightest regular of use. This model is really hard to find w/out some loss of finish. Another razor with a Gold wash finish is the Goodwill. View attachment 1461077

Question about my Rocket style razor, hope someone can help out. Kinda looks like a Giromatic head attached to a TV style handle that has a Herringbone knurling pattern unlike any other Rocket or Flaretip razor I own. Maybe a limited edition of some sort, would be my guess. Any info out there in the universe? Never seen another like it anywhere.
It's a Flair Tip Rocket Rhodium handle and Nickle plated model (I have two). The exact razor sold in the mid 50's in 2 seperate Gillette sets. The set #80 and the "Travelers Deluxe" set. The handle is very shiny. They are very uncommon. As far as I know there are only 7 Flair Tip Rockets which include the two Rhodium handle models. View attachment 1507947
View attachment 1507948View attachment 1507949View attachment 1507959View attachment 1507961
Thanks Preidy, you are a fount of knowledge when it comes to these Gillettes. Even tho the handle on my razor appears to be rhodium, the head looks like nickle plate. Also, the end caps on my razor are not the pointy rocket type but more like the American style end caps, which are found also on the Giromatic rocket razor as well. Maybe it is even more rare than the great examples you illustrated. Thanks again, life is sure interesting when one tries to figure out just what it is that one is shaving with or in the collection. My only wish was that Gillette should have had better and available documentation as to what was being produced, model details, quantities etc.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Also, the end caps on my razor are not the pointy rocket type but more like the American style end caps, which are found also on the Giromatic rocket razor as well. Maybe it is even more rare than the great examples you illustrated.
Does it have anything stamped on the baseplate, like a II or S?

Thanks Preidy, you are a fount of knowledge when it comes to these Gillettes. Even tho the handle on my razor appears to be rhodium, the head looks like nickle plate. Also, the end caps on my razor are not the pointy rocket type but more like the American style end caps, which are found also on the Giromatic rocket razor as well. Maybe it is even more rare than the great examples you illustrated. Thanks again, life is sure interesting when one tries to figure out just what it is that one is shaving with or in the collection. My only wish was that Gillette should have had better and available documentation as to what was being produced, model details, quantities etc.
I blew up your photo of the rocket showing the knurling pattern and it appears that mine is slightly different. Looks like fish bones, a distinctive angular pattern, of diagonal lines, forming a successive V pattern all the way to the rocket gap. I'll try to shoot some additional pics, see if I can blow them up a bit, and attach. Maybe it was a prototype, but it does have the Gillette diamond, and Made in England on the underside of the base plate.

I blew up your photo of the rocket showing the knurling pattern and it appears that mine is slightly different. Looks like fish bones, a distinctive angular pattern, of diagonal lines, forming a successive V pattern all the way to the rocket gap. I'll try to shoot some additional pics, see if I can blow them up a bit, and attach. Maybe it was a prototype, but it does have the Gillette diamond, and Made in England on the underside of the base plate.

Does it have anything stamped on the baseplate, like a II or S?
It only has the Gillette logo diamond and "Made in England", nothing else. similar to the Giromatic rockets that I have. The head appears to be identical to the Giromatic later model.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Its what really turned me onto the Brit Gillettes. IMO/IME, they are more efficient, heavier, with tighter tolerances.

Thats been my experience too. I prefer the British razors.

Top Bottom